Wasps away.

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Sandrine
Graduate

Post by Sandrine »

If it's on sunday it will be a nightmare for me... but will still go if I can manage something.
French by Birth, Irish by the Grace of Rugby
Beer Baron
Rhys Ruddock
Location: Ministry of Communications, Gary Brown Fundamenalist Supporters Front, Dublin 7

Post by Beer Baron »

jesus i hope it's not a sunday game. still, i have free accomodation in London so i just have to worry about travel now.
'Oh miss PacMan, i'd sex that bow right off your head!'
'Eat those dots, you naughty, naughty girl!'
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

sheepshagger wrote:
claire_m wrote:
My tips are not to stay in Wycombe, and to leave as soon as possible after the game!
Am having to sell my body to do the overnighter for this :( - where would you recommend staying if not Wycombe?

If it does work out to be a Sunday thats another day off work (Monday) and more shite with the UK Rail services sunday service (had enough grief the weekend just gone) :cry:
I'd probably recommend Reading or London. There's a coach that leaves from Reading station, that goes to Heathrow airport, and takes about 30 mins. The problem with Wycombe, is that it's nowhere near anywhere!

The website for the trains is below, but there's nowhere you can really get off and change to go somewhere else (though Ruislip, (both of them) is on the Central line). You can probably try getting a bus somewhere instead, though as it's a Sunday, you'll need more time.

The other thought I had is if there are enough of you staying somewhere, hire a coach, and split the cost.

Despite living in Marlow (the next town along) for a couple of years, I never once went out in Wycombe, and wouldn't know where to start in suggesting somewhere to stay. In fact, I'd recommend you stick something on the Waspies site and see where they suggest.

Oh, and good luck! (And I'll be staying at mine, and probably driving up, it's by far the easiest option)

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/uploa ... ns/321.pdf

http://www.sportnetwork.net/boards/list ... =98&sid=96
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

claire_m wrote:I'd probably recommend Reading or London. There's a coach that leaves from Reading station, that goes to Heathrow airport, and takes about 30 mins. The problem with Wycombe, is that it's nowhere near anywhere!
Need to keep the weekend as cheap as I can - looks like flying into Heathrow and staying at Reading could be a plan (theres even an IBIS there :wink: )

Am not to worried about the nightlife afterwards - any boozer will do me, as I said it wont be a mad one for me :(
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Just checking out the Adam's Park website and saw this

NO DRUMS ALLOWED
:shock:

Thanfully it was a notice for Wycombe Wanderer's Fans!!

Wanderers fans are advised that no musical instruments will be permitted at Stamford Bridge for Tuesday's Carling Cup semi final second leg clash
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

We may look at ferry - car option
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

sarah_lennon wrote:We may look at ferry - car option
there is a discussion about this on the away games section too!!!!!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

aisling7 wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:We may look at ferry - car option
there is a discussion about this on the away games section too!!!!!
think that where I meant to post it alright!! :lol:
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
dmurph
Beginner

Post by dmurph »

sheepshagger wrote:
claire_m wrote:
My tips are not to stay in Wycombe, and to leave as soon as possible after the game!
Am having to sell my body to do the overnighter for this :( - where would you recommend staying if not Wycombe?

If it does work out to be a Sunday thats another day off work (Monday) and more shite with the UK Rail services sunday service (had enough grief the weekend just gone) :cry:
Just spotted this from the Guardian website so it looks like it's not a forgone conclusion that Wycombe will be the venue. Lets hope not anyway!

Castres 13 - 16 Wasps

Mike Averis at Stade Pierre-Antoine
Monday January 22, 2007
The Guardian

Today, when talks aimed at saving the Heineken Cup re-open and what are left of Wasps' internationals link up for their first sessions under a new England head coach, the money men at their west London headquarters will be pondering how to get the best reward for Saturday's brutal win in the south of France and the home tie that sprung from it.
Immediately after the match the Wasps owner, Chris Wright, admitted the quarter-final might have to move from Adams Park, the cul-de-sac in High Wycombe that holds barely 10,000. At the time Wright did not know who Wasps' opponents would be but when the evening's events in Limerick and yesterday's result in Northampton ensured it would be Leinster, a move to larger premises was still on the cards.
hewtwit
Bookworm

Post by hewtwit »

i hope they bloody move it - it would irritate the hell out of me if leinster played in the town where i'm living and i failed to get tickets.
Spraggs
Bookworm

Post by Spraggs »

Beer Baron wrote:jesus i hope it's not a sunday game. still, i have free accomodation in London so i just have to worry about travel now.
The beauty of being a UCD arts student is that you can do what you damn well want and nobody misses you. :D
Am considering giving myself a sexy Cedric Heymans pirate scar.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

When does the venue have to be confirmed?
Spraggs
Bookworm

Post by Spraggs »

Danthefan wrote:When does the venue have to be confirmed?
February 12 I think.
Am considering giving myself a sexy Cedric Heymans pirate scar.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

I put this up in the away fans section:

The dates, kick-off times and venues will be confirmed this week

I think tickets may well go on sale next week (or this week if they get themselves organised), so keep an eye on the website (http://www.wasps.co.uk)
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Let's all hope for Twickenham :lol:

Selhurst Park would be nice too (about 20.000) :P
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

claire_m wrote:

I think tickets may well go on sale next week (or this week if they get themselves organised), so keep an eye on the website (http://www.wasps.co.uk)
Cheers thanks.

For tickets anyway surely they'll be made availible through the branch? We're entitled to 25% of the tickets aren't we? Still not enough for all the STH though :(
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Danthefan wrote:
claire_m wrote:

Cheers thanks.

For tickets anyway surely they'll be made availible through the branch? We're entitled to 25% of the tickets aren't we? Still not enough for all the STH though :(
I don't think so.

Munster' match will be played at Stradey and they have been given 15% of the tickets....so that will be the same for us i presume.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

I'm fairly sure the ERC set the amount of tickets that the away teams get for the knock out stages of the HEC. 15% sounds very low.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Danthefan wrote:I'm fairly sure the ERC set the amount of tickets that the away teams get for the knock out stages of the HEC. 15% sounds very low.
Stradey to host Scarlets-Munster

The Scarlets hope to loosen Munster's grip on the cup
The Scarlets have confirmed that their Heineken Cup quarter-final with Munster will be in Llanelli's Stradey Park.
A switch from the ageing 10,800 capacity ground in favour of Swansea's 20,500-seater Liberty Stadium had been mooted for commercial reasons.

"We've made an early decision to end speculation about the game," Scarlets chief executive Stuart Gallacher said.

"Our players and fans deserve the best chance of progressing further and we believe Stradey gives us that chance."

We have huge respect for everything Munster stand for and feel there are many similarities between them and us

Phil Davies

The game will be held on the weekend of 31 March, with finalised date, time and ticketing arrangements to be announced on Wednesday, 24 January.

The Llanelli side are already guaranteed £250,000 for reaching the last eight, plus 60% of the quarter-final gate.

Munster will be allocated 15% of the tickets, sure to be snapped up by their huge contingent of travelling fans.

Llanelli Scarlets director of rugby Phil Davies says he is excited by the draw.

"They're a fantastic side," said Davies, who may have hoped for an easier draw than the holders after his side won all their pool games.

"We have huge respect for everything Munster stand for and feel there are many similarities between them and us."

We have to keep playing well and raising the bar in our performance

Phil Davies

Scarlets outside-half Stephen Jones also welcomed news of the Munster challenge.

"They're a great team who travel well, so we have to ensure that we concentrate on our own performance," said the Wales skipper.

"Of course we respect them as a side - just look at their track record - and it's going to be a terrific game."

Davies was satisfied with his side's narrow 20-16 win over London Irish in the final pool game.

"We've put in some brilliant performances in qualifying, but this shows that we can also get the results when we are not peaking," he told BBC Sport Wales.

"We may not have had the edge that we showed in victory in Ulster, but we still got the win.

"We've now got four Magners League games before the Heineken Cup quarter-final - we have to keep playing well and raising the bar in our performance."
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Source? Seems I stand corrected anyway.