Where are people staying in London?

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Where are people staying in London?

Post by Donny B. »

Where area of London are you going to stay in for the Wasps match?

Where would you get a hotel for a fairly reasonable price (€100 for the room approx) that's got a few decent pubs in it?
I haven't a clue about London, so any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Donny B. on January 26th, 2007, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Booked a hotel in High Wycombe, just in casey! Can be cancelled if need be
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

sarah_lennon wrote:Booked a hotel in High Wycombe, just in casey! Can be cancelled if need be
Fantastic picture there Sarah!!!

Booked same accom in High Wycombe. But if the majority are staying in Richmond then will consider cancelling too.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

I think it depends on where the game is. If it's going to be in Wycombe, then staying somewhere like Richmond isn't very practical (and is miles away!). Even if we went out in Wycombe, with a 5.45 k/o, we wouldn't hit town until about 8.30pm, so staying locally is probably to be recommended. If people want to just hit London straight after the game, then we wouldn't get there until about 9.30pm, maybe even 10, depending on train times.

It's probably worth booking somewhere localish (in Wycombe) that can be cancelled without losing any money. Then, when the venue is confirmed, it'll be easier to know what people want to do afterwards - beit go out locally (wherever locally is) or head to London.

Also depends on where you're flying into / out of. And if you want to stay in London, either somewhere like Paddington or Marylebone, which is near the train station. If you just want to go out in London generally, then just somewhere centralish (Victoria, Piccadilly etc) If you go somewhere more on the outskirts (eg like Richmond) it might be cheaper, but you'll probably have to get a cab there, so any money you could save may well be spent getting you back there.

Sorry I can't be more specific though.
Last edited by claire_m on January 26th, 2007, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

With some friends ..... (if i get a ticket) :P
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

sarah_lennon wrote:Booked a hotel in High Wycombe, just in casey! Can be cancelled if need be
Do you have a name on that or website?

Ta
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Ambassador Court Hotel
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

cud
Mullet

Post by cud »

Mauler wrote:

Booked same accom in High Wycombe. But if the majority are staying in Richmond then will consider cancelling too.
Ah photoshop. What you have neglected to include is the other half of the photo where god is similarly extending his arm to reach McDowell. Kinda like that thing in the Cistine Capel whatever its called.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

cud wrote:
Mauler wrote:

Ah photoshop. What you have neglected to include is the other half of the photo where god is similarly extending his arm to reach McDowell. Kinda like that thing in the Cistine Capel whatever its called.
no not photoshop
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

claire_m wrote:I think it depends on where the game is. If it's going to be in Wycombe, then staying somewhere like Richmond isn't very practical (and is miles away!). Even if we went out in Wycombe, with a 5.45 k/o, we wouldn't hit town until about 8.30pm, so staying locally is probably to be recommended. If people want to just hit London straight after the game, then we wouldn't get there until about 9.30pm, maybe even 10, depending on train times.

It's probably worth booking somewhere localish (in Wycombe) that can be cancelled without losing any money. Then, when the venue is confirmed, it'll be easier to know what people want to do afterwards - beit go out locally (wherever locally is) or head to London.

Also depends on where you're flying into / out of. And if you want to stay in London, either somewhere like Paddington or Marylebone, which is near the train station. If you just want to go out in London generally, then just somewhere centralish (Victoria, Piccadilly etc) If you go somewhere more on the outskirts (eg like Richmond) it might be cheaper, but you'll probably have to get a cab there, so any money you could save may well be spent getting you back there.

Damn it Claire, why is London so sodding big?

Can you make it smaller and more compact for our visit?

Thanks

Donny
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Ditto....
T - 45
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Places like Earls Court in London are overflowing with cheap accomodation and good tube connections. You are spoilt for choice. If you want to spend an extra few quid then I've stayed in Jury's Kensington which is good and also the Radisson Edwardian Berkshire on Oxford Street, which is slick. If you're minted, stay in the Sanderson.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Donny B. wrote:
claire_m wrote:I think it depends on where the game is. If it's going to be in Wycombe, then staying somewhere like Richmond isn't very practical (and is miles away!). Even if we went out in Wycombe, with a 5.45 k/o, we wouldn't hit town until about 8.30pm, so staying locally is probably to be recommended. If people want to just hit London straight after the game, then we wouldn't get there until about 9.30pm, maybe even 10, depending on train times.

Damn it Claire, why is London so sodding big?

Can you make it smaller and more compact for our visit?

Thanks

Donny
I'm waving my magic wand right now, just for you :D
IMC
Bookworm

Post by IMC »

We got rooms in the Millennium Bailey in Kensington for GBP120 per night via bmibaby.com - they are normally c. GBP190-220.

They have pretty good deals and you can chose by area.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

The Doc wrote:
Do you have a name on that or website?
Website, but shop around for rates .. this site was cheaper and then dearer for rooms of different types.
Beer Baron
Rhys Ruddock
Location: Ministry of Communications, Gary Brown Fundamenalist Supporters Front, Dublin 7

Post by Beer Baron »

with my sister.
'Oh miss PacMan, i'd sex that bow right off your head!'
'Eat those dots, you naughty, naughty girl!'
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

An Irish mate of mine has just opened a brand new hostel in London, her second one. The first on was voted one of London's best. This new one is supposedly quite upmarket for a hostel - a converted courthouse apparently. They kept the cells and turned them into a few bedrooms where you can stay. It's around Kings Cross I think, which is moving more upmarket. That's as much as I know about it, but if anyone is interested I can inquire about some kind of group rate...
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

If anyone is seeking budget rooms, Travel lodge have rooms for 15 stg.and 26 stg at their premises on the M4, seven miles from Reading, where the game may be played.
apple sourz
Mullet

Post by apple sourz »

This is an excellent site for London.

http://www.visitlondon.com/
mmmmm......... it's minty and it's gooooood