Where are people staying in London?

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Just booked a guesthouse a few minutes walk from the centre of High Wycombe. £25. I wouldn't bring Mrs Diablo but it will do for a few hours shut eye.
go_on_the_poni
Bookworm

Post by go_on_the_poni »

jezzer wrote:An Irish mate of mine has just opened a brand new hostel in London, her second one. The first on was voted one of London's best. This new one is supposedly quite upmarket for a hostel - a converted courthouse apparently. They kept the cells and turned them into a few bedrooms where you can stay. It's around Kings Cross I think, which is moving more upmarket. That's as much as I know about it, but if anyone is interested I can inquire about some kind of group rate...
hee hee.. its a long way off being upmarket!!! its an absolute hole up there with terrible pubs but some ok underground clubs if your into electronic music or gothic nights out.
they are starting to do it up slowly but i reckon kings cross wont be anyway decent until closer to the olympics..ive looked at buying property up there its just too dodgy in my view.

i might have room in the hall or stairs of my house if anyone is stuck.

claire whats wrong with getting into london for 9.30?? perfect time for going on the lash..
rarrr
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I had a look at the Wycombe sites and the hotels seem to be quite pricey and fairly cr@p.

Would staying in Reading be viable.

Is it far from Wycombe?
SCG
Bookworm

Post by SCG »

Donny B. wrote:I had a look at the Wycombe sites and the hotels seem to be quite pricey and fairly cr@p.

Would staying in Reading be viable.

Is it far from Wycombe?
The AA site says 25 miles
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

I used to work near Wycombe and a couple of hotels we used for corporate stuff were called Danesfield House and the Compleat Angler.

They are both in Marlow which is a pretty town on the Thames a few miles from Wycombe.

They are both fairly upmarket so for affluent Leinster fans only 8)
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

I used to work near Wycombe and a couple of hotels we used for corporate stuff were called Danesfield House and the Compleat Angler.

They are both in Marlow which is a pretty town on the Thames a few miles from Wycombe.

They are both fairly upmarket so for affluent Leinster fans only 8) (if that isn't an oxymoron :wink: )
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

mikerob wrote:I used to work near Wycombe and a couple of hotels we used for corporate stuff were called Danesfield House and the Compleat Angler.

They are both fairly upmarket so for affluent Leinster fans only 8) (if that isn't an oxymoron :wink: )
Not in my case, Mikerob, looking for cheap and cheerful digs (and not having much joy so far :cry: )
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Fock it I'm looking for a hostel.
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

Danthefan wrote:Fock it I'm looking for a hostel.
I used to avoid Wycombe like the plague so can't help you there but Marlow is nice in a ye olde English sort of way and there is a list of B&Bs at http://www.marlowtown.co.uk but I don't have any particular recommendations.

It is about 20 mins on the bus to Wycombe or I'm guessing a taxi would be around £10-£15.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Nice one, thanks.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

http://www.4hotels.co.uk/uk/high-wycombe66479.html

Here's the link to that guest house in the centre of High Wycombe. At £25 I'm not expecting much. Toni is the ladies name.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Donny B. wrote:
mikerob wrote:I used to work near Wycombe and a couple of hotels we used for corporate stuff were called Danesfield House and the Compleat Angler.

Not in my case, Mikerob, looking for cheap and cheerful digs (and not having much joy so far :cry: )
Reading's about half an hour away. If you can get a few others to share a cab, it'll cost £10 a head (I was quoted £35 for a normal cab, and £65 for a 7 seater) (there's also the airport coach to heathrow from reading station, so that makes it quite a handy location, and there's a bit more to do there too...)

Marlow's pretty close (I used to live there. Very nice area, actually!) You could also try Henley, Beaconsfield or Gerrards Cross, as the last 2 are on the same train line.

Oh, and g_o_t_p - by 9.30 I'm usually feeling a bit tired, and thinking about going to bed. That's why I thought it was a bit late. :oops: I'm getting old, you see. You'll understand in a few years time...
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

mikerob wrote:
It's tautology, not an oxymoron - Independent Newspapers is an oxymoron.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

claire_m wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Reading's about half an hour away. If you can get a few others to share a cab, it'll cost £10 a head (I was quoted £35 for a normal cab, and £65 for a 7 seater) (there's also the airport coach to heathrow from reading station, so that makes it quite a handy location, and there's a bit more to do there too...)

Marlow's pretty close (I used to live there. Very nice area, actually!) You could also try Henley, Beaconsfield or Gerrards Cross, as the last 2 are on the same train line.

Oh, and g_o_t_p - by 9.30 I'm usually feeling a bit tired, and thinking about going to bed. That's why I thought it was a bit late. :oops: I'm getting old, you see. You'll understand in a few years time...
Thanks Claire, yeah, I think we're going to go with Reading alright.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

We're staying in Reading in the Express by Holiday Inn.

It's £55 a night for the room and it's only half an hour away by taxi.

We've already got the name of a good rugby Pub there, the Three Guineas, and it seems a livelier spot than Wycombe (although that's not saying a whole lot).
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Donny, We are in your hotel also,(BG,wife and 2 boys).We got the 2 rooms for 41.25 stg each. See you there.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

bgmusic wrote:Donny, We are in your hotel also,(BG,wife and 2 boys).We got the 2 rooms for 41.25 stg each. See you there.
Yeah my mate booked at the same time as me and got the £46.25 rate!

So I'm gonna ring them on Monday and ask them what the story is!

There's four of us and possibly another three as well. We might organise to share taxis to and from Wycombe (if it works out cheaper?)
Phil06
Graduate

Post by Phil06 »

Donny B. wrote:
bgmusic wrote:Donny, We are in your hotel also,(BG,wife and 2 boys).We got the 2 rooms for 41.25 stg each. See you there.
Yeah my mate booked at the same time as me and got the £46.25 rate!

So I'm gonna ring them on Monday and ask them what the story is!

There's four of us and possibly another three as well. We might organise to share taxis to and from Wycombe (if it works out cheaper?)

Yes, we've also booked in here...
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

IF I was going and was staying in Reading. . heres a good spot

http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehote ... otel.shtml

But sadly I'm not going over at all (at this stage) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

sheepshagger wrote:IF I was going and was staying in Reading. . heres a good spot

http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehote ... otel.shtml

But sadly I'm not going over at all (at this stage) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Well we looked at that but for once the Holiday Inn was better value at £46.25 (including a brekkie) while the Ibis was £45 without the brekkie.