Pub guide- High Wycombe

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

El Diablo
Mullet

Pub guide- High Wycombe

Post by El Diablo »

Sounds like a bit of a dump but it does have beer...
http://www.beerguide.co.uk/old/towns/high_wycombe.htm
The Red Lion sounds like the place for me. We could paint it blue for the day!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

So 4 pubs and an offy wwwooooooohhhhhhooooooo Party!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Here's a bit more info on what you can do should you find yourself in High Wycombe and at a loose end...

If it's just for the day and wanting to be drinking nice brown beer or guinness in town your best bets are either the Bell on Frogmore (does food) or the Belle Vue (no food) up above the station (Belle Vue has a nice little courtyard garden if early in the season and weather permits) neither very big pubs (quite small actually so not the best if a coach party) but friendlier than your mass watering holes that are the other usual theme pubs near/in centre of town of which there are plenty in the high street. Though Hob Goblin (does lunchtime food) in town a nice grotty student pub they do keep decent ale and is larger if a quite few of you. mind the low beam on the way to the toilet for anyone over 5 foot! There's also the Hogs Head (does lunchtime food) which has plenty of space on two floors and normally has a rugby crowd in as plasma TV's everywhere to show the games and comfy seats and depending on what guest beers they've got on reasonable drinks too.

Only ones I would NOT suggest going to are the Flint Cottage opposite the station or the White Horse down the Oxford Road, unless you like right eejits or ropey exotic dancers!

Also in town not a bad place if you like slightly trendy bright glass and chrome with leather seats type place but a bit pricey is the Glass House which is where the Anchor pub used to be, just walk down the side of Mcdonalds from the High Street and it's right in front of you on the corner. It's just passed the noodle bar there which is recommended (if you like noodles of course) for plenty to eat quickly, cheaply and even (heaven forbid in Wycombe) a smile on occasion!

Eats there's plenty if noodles aren't your thing as off Frogmore there's a reasonable Italian (L'Artista?) where the mussle starter is cracking and might be all you need unless you have an ambitious appetite. There was a not bad mexican restaurant here also but is currently changing into something else. On the road as you walk down from the station towards the high street there's the Bombay Palace which is good, large
and accommodating or if you carry on past this and go round the corner to your left there's the Curry Centre (next to the Law courts) if you like your Indians with flock wall paper, little booths with dim red lights on the table and a carpet from the 70's instead of a posh shiny place. Directly opposite is a Thai restaurant nice food but not much of it and pricey. Alternatively there's an ASK in the high street if pizza is your thing. If you are arriving early and just want some lard to set you up for the day just below and opposite the station is the Castle Cafe which does the all day breakfast thing.

For mass production drinking there is now a long beer tent up at the ground.

If staying slightly longer and need more than food and drinks for the day and need evening entertainment there's the Swan Theatre in the centre of town depending what's on as they have a good mix often with comedy or music on in the town hall where you can drink and smoke to your hearts content while watching stuff. Being so close to London you get reasonable acts coming in.

There's the Wycombe 6 cinema at the top of the hill or if you fancy still another beer and not driving you can hop on the train and go 2 stops to Gerrards Cross cinema (much smaller, quieter, less kids and a nice hotel/pub/restaurant almost next to it)

There's usually live music on in several pubs in the area just grab a copy of the local rag (Bucks Free press) for details. Red Lion down the London Road has some decent blues (not just pub cover song blues) though at time of writing has just changed hands so won't take the blame if gone pear shape by start of season.

For slightly out of townish pubs but not too far (just on the edge of town about 1 and half miles from the Ground) then the Kings Head in West Wycombe is rather good set in a National Trust village with good food and beer. Being in West Wycombe you can go to Wycombe Caves or up the hill to the Golden Ball with rather good views.

I adventurous then lots of nice pubs in all the villages around wycombe.

Alternatively if stayed for the weekend and you just need a good walk to get over the hangover there's Hughenden Park and woods with Hughenden Manor (Disraeli's old home) and church which can be found surprisingly down Hughenden Road.

Or even head down the road to Marlow and nice stroll by the river.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

claire_m wrote: mind the low beam on the way to the toilet for anyone over 5 foot!
Claire
You are elected as official pub crawl leader!. This is the sort of detail that is essential on a good pub crawl!
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

El Diablo wrote:
claire_m wrote: mind the low beam on the way to the toilet for anyone over 5 foot!
Claire
You are elected as official pub crawl leader!. This is the sort of detail that is essential on a good pub crawl!
I'd like to say I've never been drinking in Wycombe, and I've only ever been to the town once, and that was to go to the bank! I got the above from a friend of a friend (a local. Crazy...), but I am prepared to go on a mega power trip, sorry, be pub crawl leader for the day :lol: