EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Post by OTT »

That game was very similar to the Ireland - Scotland game this year. First half lots of easy turnovers, lineout malfunctioning and cheap scores given away and huge holes to dig out of. Second half we make hay and by the hour mark are gonna cruise home. Still cannot believe both those games ended in defeat.

We have got the rub of the green from Nige reffing lots in the past so probably our turn to lose the 50-50's. Contentious calls for me were most of their turnovers were won by the tackler competing for the ball despite not disengaging from initial tackle. Fritz Lee got away with a few of these their turnover king as sky would call him, easy to turnover if your playing a different rule to everyone else. Obviously Nige seemed to spot every single dark art that Leinster did on the day but missed a clear and obvious late tackle/hold back on ISA in the second half that led to their first drop goal as mentioned. Clermont got a penalty for a high tackle by Ruddock on Parra that he acknowledges was due to a dip by Parra fair enough second half Leinster get a penalty for a high tackle on Ringrose which he described as "the same as yours" it looked like a clothesline tackle to me at the time will have to review.

The disallowed try was a killer but it was a penalty. Just like every time they were holding our players around the fringes should have been one. There was an example late in the game where they are holding Dev off the ball and he is absolutely belting and trying to kick away the Clermont player to get on with the game. Maybe he should have been more cynical like Rougerie and flapped his arms in the air looking for the penalty, although Nige says he doesn't like players looking for things. How do you play a ref who lets one side do something and the other not?

Ruddock was brilliant and brilliant in both halfs when we were struggling and on top. Delighted for him we are so lucky to have him. Thought JackMc and Tadhg were very good also. Robbie and Garry were great in the second half When we got a bit of ball. Thought Joey was poor first half but was really big for us after the break. Dev seemed to struggle again is he just knackered fter a long season? The game seemed to pass Ferg by I can only remember him getting turned over and putting in an awful sliced kick in first half. Thought Luke and Johnny played decent super covering try saving tackle by Luke in second half.

I'm devastated but also very positive. We have some serious fire power and despite missing some very big players today we could...should? Have won. We are a brave team in the way we try and play and the more we play like that the better we will get. It is an absolute pleasure watching these guys play.

It wasn't to be today but we went out playing some great rugby, we must be in contention for best non try ever! The atmosphere was electric on tv, fair play to all the Leinster fans who made the trip and added to our cause and best of luck to Clermont in the final it will be some ask for them.

Oh and those bloody illuminous yellow jerseys or "green" as Nigel would say. Three games in France wearing them this season 2 defeats and a dodgy draw. I hope I never see them again :lol:
Last edited by OTT on April 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Aw, what a game. I really like the template we're playing to. Leinster were a bit unlucky with a few calls - Isa penalised when it looked as if he was contesting in the air legally, our pull-backs getting picked up and theirs not. I'm pretty sure there was no ruck when Leinster were done for offside on Spedding's attempted pen. I know he didn't get it, but the resulting 22 drop-out led to a dg for them. I suppose things like that can go against you in an away semi.

Overall, it feels good to be back competing well at the pointy end of the tournament. Going away to France and putting on that kind of show is pretty pleasing. I think that back-row can really go places - all very natural fits for their positions meaning its a superbly balanced unit.

Disappointed not to be getting a shot at Saracens, but hopefully this team can finish the season strongly.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:
ronk wrote:I wouldn't write off Clermont against Saracens, that was a very mature display of a team with winning instinct.
You think? I wouldn't agree. We gave them a 15 point head start and but for the Leavy try being chalked off would've won. Actually, I think if the Leavy incident hadn't happened at all we would've won, it completely shifted momentum. They were rattled, Strettle admitted as much afterwards.

I think Sarries will be able to open them up like we did, but will also be able to go toe to toe up front. Plus Clermont won't have the home comforts (although they'll outnumber Sarries 20 to 1 I'd say!)
We didn't give them that, they earned it. They were phenomenal and made us look like a worse team.

Lineout was additional but they were totally dominant.

We did a good job of forcing our way back in but really we're only scoring penalties and we're having to attack from our 22.

The 10 point swing changed the game but they seized the chance to take control and they were always able to counterpunch. The way they took the final restart and closed out the game was a sign of winning mentality.

Sardines had loads of chances to kill off the game early, but Munster never really did more than live with them for a while.

Clermont would fade if they tried to go through Saracens, but they have other options.
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

OTT wrote:Oh and those bloody illuminous yellow jerseys or "green" as Nigel would say. Three games in France wearing them this season 2 defeats and a dodgy draw. I hope I never see them again :lol:
A good point. Isn't it tradition for the home team to wear their alternate jersey in the case of a colour clash? Or were Clermont not technically the home team in this contest?
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Sitting here in Lyon airport. So disappointed. Really poor start but a great fightback just giving ourselves too much to do. Couldn't see the Leavy infringement for the disallowed try but that was the turning point. Proud of the lads but I think Saracens will do Clermont. They were great fans as per normal.
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

God, what to say - so many things happened in that game. Credit to Clermont for their bottle in the end but hard not to be frustrated as that game was there for us.

It was very frustrating getting caught narrow needlessly for both their tries - this seems to be a problem for Irish teams. Carberry and Leavy's ball watching was criminal. I'm Leavy's #1 fan but no way he should have let Strettle in. I thought he managed to impose himself as the game went on but certainly outshone by Ruddock and Conan.

Aside from the terrible lineouts on our ball, why did we not get anyone up to contend theirs?! I never understand this tactic, especially when the attacking team isn't even setting up a maul. I thought Toner was pretty ineffective today.

It bodes well for next season though - with guys like Luke Mc, Molony, Dooley etc getting this experience plus Fardy and Lowe to come, we should be well placed to challenge for the cup next season.

I think Sarries will be too good for Clermont and perhaps even us if we got there but really looking forward to next season's campaign already with Lancaster's influence embedded even more.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It was weird to see a team target Isa and seeming to do okay at it.

We were close and there were many things that could be pointed to, especially the 2 big TMO decisions which both could have been missed or seen differently. Strettle pushed Carbery before Isa pulled him
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

artaneboy wrote:
Indeed. Ruddock and Conan were great in the back row. Ringrose has scored his "BOD signature" try.

We did leave it behind, we didn't get the rub of the green/ Nigel, but I couldn't grudge Clermont and we will come again. I'll cheer for them in Edinburgh- but I fear the Orcs will win.

Time to get drunk now...
I was going to write something, but you've summed it up for me.

I'm five pints in.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
ronk wrote:I wouldn't write off Clermont against Saracens, that was a very mature display of a team with winning instinct.
You think? I wouldn't agree. We gave them a 15 point head start and but for the Leavy try being chalked off would've won. Actually, I think if the Leavy incident hadn't happened at all we would've won, it completely shifted momentum. They were rattled, Strettle admitted as much afterwards.

I think Sarries will be able to open them up like we did, but will also be able to go toe to toe up front. Plus Clermont won't have the home comforts (although they'll outnumber Sarries 20 to 1 I'd say!)
We didn't give them that, they earned it. They were phenomenal and made us look like a worse team.

Lineout was additional but they were totally dominant.

We did a good job of forcing our way back in but really we're only scoring penalties and we're having to attack from our 22.

The 10 point swing changed the game but they seized the chance to take control and they were always able to counterpunch. The way they took the final restart and closed out the game was a sign of winning mentality.

Sardines had loads of chances to kill off the game early, but Munster never really did more than live with them for a while.

Clermont would fade if they tried to go through Saracens, but they have other options.
Ah we didn't play for the first 20. Mistake after mistake. They were dominant but a large part of that was our failures in defence, at the ruck and lineout.
We would've won had the Leavy incident not happened.

Anyway, it's all biased by the outcome now, we'll see what happens in the final.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

At the risk of sounding brutal, I think our starting options at hooker for the rest of the season have to be 1. Cronin, 2. Tracy, 3. Byrne.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Post by artaneboy »

riocard911 wrote:At the risk of sounding brutal, I think our starting options at hooker for the rest of the season have to be 1. Cronin, 2. Tracy, 3. Byrne.
Well- I'd definitely not have stated Strauss, but neither Cronin nor Tracy are reliable throwers either. My preference would have been to start Sean- and 'perm' from one of the other two for the bench. Toner was poor though; as a fan of his that was very disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

artaneboy wrote:
riocard911 wrote:At the risk of sounding brutal, I think our starting options at hooker for the rest of the season have to be 1. Cronin, 2. Tracy, 3. Byrne.
Well- I'd definitely not have stated Strauss, but neither Cronin nor Tracy are reliable throwers either. My preference would have been to start Sean- and 'perm' from one of the other two for the bench. Toner was poor though; as a fan of his that was very disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are lacking a real enforcer in the 2nd row and unfortunately fardy won't provide that either. We also may need to fast track Byrne
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Sionnach wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Indeed. Ruddock and Conan were great in the back row. Ringrose has scored his "BOD signature" try.

We did leave it behind, we didn't get the rub of the green/ Nigel, but I couldn't grudge Clermont and we will come again. I'll cheer for them in Edinburgh- but I fear the Orcs will win.

Time to get drunk now...
I was going to write something, but you've summed it up for me.

I'm five pints in.
+1
Flying wedge
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

A mixture of frustration and pride in that performance. Frustration at our inaccuracy in the first 30 minutes, pride in the way we played subsequently and never let our heads drop.

Rhys Ruddock was immense today.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Fair play! Impeccable timing!
All Blacks nil wrote:Funny
I thought his cameo against Argentina in RWC15 exposed his frailties once the tempo is raised. He was burnt for the last try making a quite feeble and ineffective attempt to tackle the Argentine second row who then offloaded to Imanhoff.
Leinster have returned to that style of play and have plenty of players able to play a pacy up tempo game. Ruddock is not one of those and will be at best a bit part player with Leinster in the immediate future.
You have permission to change your signature if I'm proven wrong.
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... &start=160
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Think you are stretching things a bit there with Byrne at 3, but yes I think we need to move on from Strauss.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Best of luck to Clermont in the final
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We wasted 3 solid chances in the first half all from an impatient need to score immediately when we finally had an opening. 2 forward passes during breaks off turnover ball and wasted advantage at the end of the half.

On 2nd viewing Nigel was at least as tough on us.

They really did their homework on us except for trying to pick and drive powerfully against our props. We won a penalty.
theghost
Learner

Post by theghost »

Unlucky today all, the start conceding 15 points didn't help but ye clawed yere way back in. Thought Ruddock and conan played well .Lineout calls seemed to go wrong with overthrows but it was there for the taking as clermont tired. Watched it through nursing a major hangover hoping for a win for ye after our defeat yesterday. Not to be unfortunately but i guess both Munster and Leinster fans would not begrudge clermont the chance of finally winning the cup. great supporters and long suffering ones too . So back to the league for us both, our paths will cross hopefully before seasons end .
ps how is Teo on the Lions tour before Ringrose ? baffling
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Our attack and defence and set piece still needs work at this level.

Still it's a big improvement from last year and it feels like the team is getting better.

Squad wise I'd say we could do with a lock who adds more in the breakdown and a good winger to be able to consistently win these fixtures.