Pre-season friendlies

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby artaneboy » August 13th, 2017, 6:23 pm

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:[quote="artaneboy"]
No one is saying it, explicitly. And obviously no one desires a slow start. But the inevitable consequence of bringing the likes of Furlong and McGrath back in later than the rest of the squad will make that slow start more likely. Lions or new arrival honeymoons should not be encouraged- other than the necessary R&R on the injured.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm not sure what your point is here? Nobody is saying a slow start is inevitable or accepting it. McGrath and Furlong aren't great examples, as they shouldn't be back for a while, they need rest.

Our side for the start of the season will have more than enough quality. Pre-season game results are meaningless.

I think it is clear what my point is. McGrath and Furlong are perfect examples. I won't labour it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Examples of what? There's no question of them being back at the start of the season, nor should there be. It's a moot point.

You've creating a strawman about 'accepting a slow start' and then made some obscure argument about two Lions props coming back weeks after they've finished a very long season.

So what exactly is your point?[/quote]
There's no straw men argument here. Its simple, I want Leinster to be as strong as possible as early as possible in the season. That includes pre-season, but certainly from the first Pro 14 match.

So a loss to Perpignan away may not be a huge concern, but any loss is not without some concerns, as the season will be upon us soon. To be painfully obvious, as it seems necessary, the points gained or lost now are as valuable as those in the run-in. So I can't accept that we ease ourselves in, or accept without question the exclusion of players for anything but injury or 'Ireland team' demands. And to be honest I think the latter demands have been severe enough for us not to be in any way sanguine or relaxed on them.

The idea that we can somehow hold back at the start and therefore benefit from that 'pacing' at the end, doesn't add up. So I don't accept that returning British and Irish Lions tourists should be given extra time to recover. We need them back ASAP, that should be every Leinster fans wish.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby Dave Cahill » August 13th, 2017, 6:48 pm

And Irish tourists? Did you forget them?
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20274
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby leinsterforever » August 14th, 2017, 3:04 am

artaneboy wrote:There's no straw men argument here. Its simple, I want Leinster to be as strong as possible as early as possible in the season. That includes pre-season, but certainly from the first Pro 14 match.

So a loss to Perpignan away may not be a huge concern, but any loss is not without some concerns, as the season will be upon us soon. To be painfully obvious, as it seems necessary, the points gained or lost now are as valuable as those in the run-in. So I can't accept that we ease ourselves in, or accept without question the exclusion of players for anything but injury or 'Ireland team' demands. And to be honest I think the latter demands have been severe enough for us not to be in any way sanguine or relaxed on them.

The idea that we can somehow hold back at the start and therefore benefit from that 'pacing' at the end, doesn't add up. So I don't accept that returning British and Irish Lions tourists should be given extra time to recover. We need them back ASAP, that should be every Leinster fans wish.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


So you're going to throw your toys out of the pram if players who finished up on July 8 aren't back at the same time as player whose season ended on May 19?

The likes of Furlong and Jack McGrath need longer than five or six weeks for time off and pre-season.
leinsterforever
Graduate
 
Posts: 591
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 2:20 am

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby Laighin Break » August 14th, 2017, 8:04 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:A little bit of tongue in cheek certainly but I believe the core message strongly. Perpignan is in third tier of French rugby if you accept the view of many French commentators that the privately owned, monied, six Clubs are Tier One, followed by the remaining Top 14 Clubs and then the top six in the ProD2.


Wouldn't a British and Irish Cup team also be considered third tier so?
Laighin Break
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 389
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby wixfjord » August 14th, 2017, 8:54 am

artaneboy wrote:
There's no straw men argument here. Its simple, I want Leinster to be as strong as possible as early as possible in the season. That includes pre-season, but certainly from the first Pro 14 match.

So a loss to Perpignan away may not be a huge concern, but any loss is not without some concerns, as the season will be upon us soon. To be painfully obvious, as it seems necessary, the points gained or lost now are as valuable as those in the run-in. So I can't accept that we ease ourselves in, or accept without question the exclusion of players for anything but injury or 'Ireland team' demands. And to be honest I think the latter demands have been severe enough for us not to be in any way sanguine or relaxed on them.

The idea that we can somehow hold back at the start and therefore benefit from that 'pacing' at the end, doesn't add up. So I don't accept that returning British and Irish Lions tourists should be given extra time to recover. We need them back ASAP, that should be every Leinster fans wish.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Everyone wants that! Nobody said they didn't.
Neither did anyone say that we should 'ease ourselves in'. That's your strawman.

Everyone wants our best players back in tow. But it's foolish to want Lions starters to play again after finishing a marathon season in mid July. In fact it's completely unrealistic.
To say you 'don't accept that returning British and Irish Lions tourists should be given extra time to recover' is just nonsense. It's not 'extra time to recover'. It's just 'time to recover'.
wixfjord
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2701
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby the spoofer » August 14th, 2017, 10:26 am

Is there some specific reason that the Friendly this week is been played in Marys?
User avatar
the spoofer
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2052
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby future international » August 14th, 2017, 10:37 am

the spoofer wrote:Is there some specific reason that the Friendly this week is been played in Marys?


This year's branch President is a Mary's man I'm pretty sure.
User avatar
future international
Enlightened
 
Posts: 778
Joined: August 14th, 2006, 11:48 am

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby the spoofer » August 14th, 2017, 10:42 am

future international wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Is there some specific reason that the Friendly this week is been played in Marys?


This year's branch President is a Mary's man I'm pretty sure.


That's fair enough then. There has to be some perk.
User avatar
the spoofer
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2052
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby cormac » August 14th, 2017, 11:16 am

the spoofer wrote:Is there some specific reason that the Friendly this week is been played in Marys?


Don't think Donnybrook is available.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4584
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby the spoofer » August 14th, 2017, 11:48 am

cormac wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Is there some specific reason that the Friendly this week is been played in Marys?


Don't think Donnybrook is available.


Grand.

I said it before but I'd love to see the A games toured around the province. It would be a great marketing tool.
User avatar
the spoofer
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2052
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby simonokeeffe » August 15th, 2017, 8:33 am

According to presser/Indo

RK back this weekend
DK possibly this weekend
Heaslip not a million miles away

Sexton, Cronin, Carberry have resumed training
Henshaw on track for mid October, Ringrose late October
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15611
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby Cathalsmart » August 15th, 2017, 8:45 am

The news about Henshaw & Ringrose has brightened up my days.
Cathalsmart
Beginner
 
Posts: 49
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 11:25 pm

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby the spoofer » August 15th, 2017, 10:39 am

Tom Daly won't enjoy the review of the Perpignan match. Double pump and pass is a hugely risky thing to do.
User avatar
the spoofer
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2052
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby simonokeeffe » August 15th, 2017, 11:24 am

Cathalsmart wrote:The news about Henshaw & Ringrose has brightened up my days.


We get them back just in time for AIs :)
But yeah that and Lowe arriving at same time is a big bump
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15611
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby mildlyinterested » August 15th, 2017, 11:29 am

the spoofer wrote:Tom Daly won't enjoy the review of the Perpignan match. Double pump and pass is a hugely risky thing to do.


ripped in tackle too.
mildlyinterested
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 285
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby molloyjh » August 15th, 2017, 11:29 am

artaneboy wrote:So I don't accept that returning British and Irish Lions tourists should be given extra time to recover. We need them back ASAP, that should be every Leinster fans wish.


Any Leinster fan utterly divorced from reality maybe. The rest of us recognise that real life has to come into play. If you want to continue living in some fantasy world where this kind of thing is not just acceptable, but demanded, then fire away. But do so armed with the knowledge that back in the real world you'll find yourself very disappointed.

To be honest you're entire position on all of this seems far removed from reality. We sent our A team (i.e. our second tier team) to play their first training game of the season away to a second tier French team who are playing their last training game of the season. And but for 2 soft scores conceded (something that can realistically happen in your first hit out of the season) we probably had the beating of them. You can try and package that up in whatever negative wrapping you want, but there would seem to be a good few positives to take from it too. It was a 3rd/4th choice team FFS.
User avatar
molloyjh
Mullet
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby molloyjh » August 15th, 2017, 11:31 am

Anyone have an opinion on Perpignans 3rd try in that video? Seems to me that the ball carrier going on the last phase was tackled, went to ground and continued to crawl forward. The ref was playing advantage anyway, but surely he should have blown up there?
User avatar
molloyjh
Mullet
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby riocard911 » August 15th, 2017, 1:16 pm

"...that video". What video? This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5cbt8cl704
riocard911
Enlightened
 
Posts: 902
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby Cathalsmart » August 15th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Larmour looks well built, I sort of feared that he would be a little bit of a twink but that he is not, Ed Byrne looks like he is getting back to his best and his twin I think could be a great option for Leinster for the coming season if he can improve on his line out throwing as the rest of his game is very good imo.
Cathalsmart
Beginner
 
Posts: 49
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 11:25 pm

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Postby Cathalsmart » August 15th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Is it just me or was Marsh really good, he is still 4th choice but he doesn't look anywhere near as bad as he is made out to be granted it wasn't great opposition so he still has a bit to do but he has done his chances no harm.
Cathalsmart
Beginner
 
Posts: 49
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 11:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests