A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Glasgow v Leinster, Sat, 1pm, Sky.

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Thanks a million. Looking forward to seeing the game when I eventually get home.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Going by ESPN:

19 missed tackles out of 100 (better then last week
Worst offender was Noel with 4
Top meters made was Conan with 42
Top Tackers Sexton and Ruddock with 10
Worst disciple was James Ryan with 2 pens against
I never blame a guy for giving away a penalty holding on to the ball – he's down and out of the game, it's the rest of his team-mates who don't win the contest over the ball who are to blame. The chap holding on is just the patsy.
Can't agree with that.
Inside opponents 22 let them have the ball every time - don't give them a cheap way out.
Inside your own 22 hang on to the ball and concede the penalty. Even at that there are times when you don't concede the peno.
eg you're 5/7 points behind with a losing BP at risk and there are only a few minutes (10-) to go.
Anywhere else on the pitch depends on the scoreline, the time remaining and/or the team you are playing and who their goal kicker is.
In addition the "patsy" is nearly always responsible to some degree.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Delighted with that! The pack looked really confident and well drilled (only real downside was Tracy's throwing), the try before half time really illustrated that. Healy was great, a constant nuisance at the ruck and his cover tackle in midfield was superb. Furlong too, he just has it all. It was a pity his catch was redundant because it was an outrageous bit of skill for a tighthead. Rhys always seemed to put his hand up when we needed him, brilliant performance from him. VDF was also a nuisance at the breakdown but overall I thought himself and Jack were a little quiet. Fardy's hands for Sexton's try were superb and I loved seeing how happy he was after Healy's try.

Luke had a really poor start (passing, kicking, tackling) but thought he grew into the game and was really good in the second half. JGP very good when he came on too. Henshaw quiet and made some defensive errors but, like the rest of the team, he scrambled really well. Ross Byrne looked good when he came on too, the game was far from over at that stage. I thought it was risky to replace McGrath and Sexton (not so much Furlong because he's a prop) when we did because I thought they were playing well and the game was in the balance, but JGP and Byrne didn't just see the game out, they drove us on. Great finish from Noel, been a while since he did something like that but even with some missed tackles both this week and against Montpellier, I think he's looking good again.

Ferg more than justified his selection, delighted for him. Tough day to be a winger at times but his defence was excellent and I thought it was noticeable how often he tracked across to the far wing, he was far more prominent in that way than Byrne ever is. Dave Kearney looked sharper when he came too, although I thought he was at fault for one of the tries. It would have been hard to stop anyway but thought he read it wrong and got caught out.

Leavy's penalty was appalling but he was good outside of that. Our defence was terrible at times but like I said I was impressed with how we scrambled and got back into our shape. We generally backed ourselves at that point instead of panicking and giving away penalties. I loved how we were able to raise our game when needed. Lots to iron out but that's a great win and even just winning our two home games should be enough to qualify.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

simonokeeffe wrote:Most of what I said was positive. Plus I keep forgetting to gloat about Isa at 12 other weeks

10 points is beyond our wildest dreams 2 weeks ago

Ruddock was consistent in everything he did, over to you POM
Not enough pointing for my tastes.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

paddyor wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Most of what I said was positive. Plus I keep forgetting to gloat about Isa at 12 other weeks

10 points is beyond our wildest dreams 2 weeks ago

Ruddock was consistent in everything he did, over to you POM
Not enough pointing for my tastes.
Also far too polite in his post-match interview.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Great to think we have 10 pts and know we can improve especially with additions to "squad" like sob, Heaslip, Lowe, Ringrose, nacewa, Adam Byrne, larmour and o'loughlin.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Rob Kearney too and a few others probably too
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Healy's best performance in a Leinster shirt for quite a while. Interesting to see what happens next week and into the AIs.
McGrath is more of a Schmidt player imo.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:... Ross Byrne looked good when he came on too, the game was far from over at that stage. I thought it was risky to replace McGrath and Sexton (not so much Furlong because he's a prop) when we did because I thought they were playing well and the game was in the balance, but JGP and Byrne didn't just see the game out, they drove us on. ....
I thought they both did really well. Massive faith in Byrne from the coaching ticket. It's the first time he's been trusted to close out a tight game like this. The low kick to the corner around 70 mins was
Show Spoiler:
I wonder will he be brought into the Ireland squad for the AIs
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:... Ross Byrne looked good when he came on too, the game was far from over at that stage. I thought it was risky to replace McGrath and Sexton (not so much Furlong because he's a prop) when we did because I thought they were playing well and the game was in the balance, but JGP and Byrne didn't just see the game out, they drove us on. ....
I thought they both did really well. Massive faith in Byrne from the coaching ticket. It's the first time he's been trusted to close out a tight game like this. The low kick to the corner around 70 mins was
Show Spoiler:
I wonder will he be brought into the Ireland squad for the AIs
It was classy alright, at a very important time in the game.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Glasgow were piss poor today. Leinster got better the longer the game went on. Hopefully Dave Rennie has learned a lesson about European rugby.

Well deserved winners. :clap: :clap: :clap:.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Yup, it is a fantastic result. Really sets us up for the rest of the campaign. Utterly delighted with how clinical we were. I'd been defending Noel Reid on another forum this morning so I was a very smug b$&%@#d watching him dance his way over for the bonus point.

A tip of the hat to Leo also. Lancaster gets a lot of praise but that pack and maul had all the hall marks of the Laighin King :D . Terrific Stuff :clap: :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Thanks a million. Looking forward to seeing the game when I eventually get home.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Going by ESPN:

19 missed tackles out of 100 (better then last week
Worst offender was Noel with 4
Top meters made was Conan with 42
Top Tackers Sexton and Ruddock with 10
Worst disciple was James Ryan with 2 pens against
We need somebody like Hugonaur to give us a Masterclass on our tackling stats in the last two games. Is our high line placing too much pressure on us making tackles or is it plane and simple missing hits?
The press is designed to force the opposition into stupid passes and kicks. The missed tackles are symptomatic of the intensity. It's likely the tackle count would drop with the speed/intensity. But is it worth it?
Last edited by Peg Leg on October 21st, 2017, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Pretty chuffed with myself with my calls for the axis of Healy/Cronin to come in...I thought both were super, both had dominant set piece performances (hopefully a few on here will lay off Cronins throwing after today)
Rhys was phenomenal, I'll say it now he could be 6 for Ireland
Dev and Scott F very industrious along with Back row

Thought backs were a bit porous but had some great attacking moments in second half under tough conditions. Johnny led the team well but poor aul lukey McGrath didn't do himself any favours

Subs were a mixed bag, Tracy throwing was abysmal, jack Mc was quiet and leaves dumb penalty were the downside

10/10 ain't bad!!!€
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Pretty chuffed with myself with my calls for the axis of Healy/Cronin to come in.
:lol:
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

kermischocolate wrote:Glasgow were piss poor today. Leinster got better the longer the game went on. Hopefully Dave Rennie has learned a lesson about European rugby.

You're generous.We're better set up for a wet track and Glasgow's injuries (how many Klingon head butts did Glasgow players do?) were much more damaging.

We have a way to improve but the fact is we have a big squad of international quality forwards and that's tough to face up against. A little bit of selection consistency and our set piece is much improved on earlier in the season. It's not winning rugby at the pointy end of the season though yet.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

fourthirtythree wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Glasgow were piss poor today. Leinster got better the longer the game went on. Hopefully Dave Rennie has learned a lesson about European rugby.

You're generous.We're better set up for a wet track and Glasgow's injuries (how many Klingon head butts did Glasgow players do?) were much more damaging.

We have a way to improve but the fact is we have a big squad of international quality forwards and that's tough to face up against. A little bit of selection consistency and our set piece is much improved on earlier in the season. It's not winning rugby at the pointy end of the season though yet.
Very happy to take it but think we got lucky in a number of ways today such as their head injuries and also important players like gray and Hogg just back and while they were good maybe not as good as they will be in December.

Anyway after awful early season form and too many missed tackles our key players came through and our maul was in good nick. Big performances from Ruddock, Healy and sexton and with so many to come back and a lot of young players such as furlong, Ryan, larmour, Carbury, Ringrose and leavy with signifant room for improvement as well as some quality veterans and also Lowe to add something to our back three the future hopefully will be bright and Saracens etc may have a serious competitor at the business end of the season.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

fourthirtythree wrote:

In fairness, I'm not. I'm furious.
But that's not really anything to do with you guys.
I didn't think Leinster did anything particularly spectacular today-you didn't need to and for me that's just not good enough from the home side.

Our good start to the season has probably got our hopes and expectations up higher than they would otherwise have as our problems today are nothing we haven't been seeing all season.

Rennie has openly said he has deliberately conditioned the guys differently- he wants better athletes. The penny might be dropping that's all well and good but no use against a decent pack when you struggle to get the ball or retain posession! This isn't the SH where tackling is strictly optional!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

matt wrote:Anyway after awful early season form
We haven't hit our stride yet but we've only lost one game so far this season. I'd almost be concerned if we looked the finished article so early on.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Rennie might be right about fitness, but Leinster are one of the fitter teams around.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

kermischocolate wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

In fairness, I'm not. I'm furious.
But that's not really anything to do with you guys.
I didn't think Leinster did anything particularly spectacular today-you didn't need to and for me that's just not good enough from the home side.

Our good start to the season has probably got our hopes and expectations up higher than they would otherwise have as our problems today are nothing we haven't been seeing all season.

Rennie has openly said he has deliberately conditioned the guys differently- he wants better athletes. The penny might be dropping that's all well and good but no use against a decent pack when you struggle to get the ball or retain posession! This isn't the SH whKevin ere tackling is strictly optional!
Ah now, that maul for the second try was kinda spectacular