Exeter Chiefs v Leinster Sunday 5.30 BT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Exeter Chiefs v Leinster Sunday 5.30 BT

Post by paddyor »

RichardP wrote:Very valuable and deserved win over a team that is so hard to defeat. Well done. Your front row was excellent, likewise Fardy and Ruddock. SOB and Conan not as evident but must have been getting seriously stuck in. Nacewa made a few uncharacteristic errors but McFadden worked like a dog all afternoon. Kearney should have made the tackle to prevent chiefs try but he didn’t. Of the replacements I thought McGrath was excellent and Tracy did well but a bit weak in the line outs. Not sure what VDF’s role was meant to be but I’d have expected much more involvement from him. Toner excelled in many aspects too. Overall a very good win, the fourth of four for the Irish Provinces this weekend. Three wins over English Premiership team (who lost all five of their Champions Cup games, Saracens ppd.) Thats a weekend worth celebrating!
I think you've that back to front with the backrows. Conan and SOB were 1st and 3rd for carries in the team and 3rd and 1st for tackles(o missed). They were everywhere.

Also, Kearney hit the man in possession, they had an overlap. Isa messed up.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

The try was Ringrose's fault, he should have drifted out and trusted the man on his inside (SOB?) to make the tackle, but he got sucked in and crucially turned his shoulders in and planted his feet. Then when the pass was delivered outside him he simply couldn't adjust his feet to recover to make the tackle (no one could). But the mistake was getting drawn in.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Would need to watch it again but I though Isa ended up in no mans land and everything stemmed from that.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Calm down lads ...I’ve just watched game for first time now ...
We’re never going to get 80 minutes of dominance In any game , least of all against Premiership champions / leaders... but quite simply this was the best composite performance from a Leinster team against quality opponents in years... I’m proud to call myself a Leinster supporter tonight...

After this I think we should fear no team...

Keep the pressure on till next week and we’re home and dry in this group
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Team could not leave Exeter due to conditions in Dublin last night. Now due home tomorrow.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

blockhead wrote:Team could not leave Exeter due to conditions in Dublin last night. Now due home tomorrow.
Yeah flight cancelled when they got to Bristol. Far from ideal in terms of next week and the turnaround.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Most up to date stats on UR:

Tackles Made:
Exeter - 258 (31 missed)
Leinster - 122 (8 missed)

Ruck Successes:
Exeter - 70/73 (96%)
Leinster - 164/164 (100%)

Turnovers Won:
Exeter - 2
Leinster - 7

Defenders Beaten:
Exeter - 8
Leinster - 31

Metres Made:
Exeter - 198
Leinster - 319

Stats rarely tell the full story, but they actually paint a reasonably accurate picture here. Leinster retained possession really well, but Exeter didn't look to turn it over that often as can be seen from our 100% ruck rate (it'd be nice to think that we're just that good, but how often do you see ruck stats like that?). Leinster made huge progress in tight, making relatively less metres to carries and defenders beaten but forcing Exeter to make a huge number of tackles, which was simply unsustainable. That really was some game.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Henshaw in MO team of the week. I'm not surprised: he (and Ferg) were everywhere; making a nuisance of rucks, tackling players backwards, carrying aggressively.
Furlong is not in the MO team of the week but Archer is. I didn't see the Munster game but was Archer really better than Furlong?
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:Henshaw in MO team of the week. I'm not surprised: he (and Ferg) were everywhere; making a nuisance of rucks, tackling players backwards, carrying aggressively.
Furlong is not in the MO team of the week but Archer is. I didn't see the Munster game but was Archer really better than Furlong?
I'll give you one guess. In fairness, Archer played well, but his life was made substantially easier by Leicester being pretty mediocre. His performance may have been a bit more eye catching at a superficial level, but Furlongs was far superior in reality.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Fergus McFadden really goes berserker for 80mins. Hard to replicate that.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Peg Leg wrote:Fergus McFadden really goes berserker for 80mins. Hard to replicate that.
The man is a f%~king tornado when his dander is up
I have Bumbleflex
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Yeah, Furlong was very good yesterday, as was Healy.

Very dominant and controlled display against a good team. Their backs seemed dangerous and I imagine they will come up with a few new ways to pressure us next weekend - I will never forget that Northampton turn around!

Ref was a bit mad - giving out to players, snapping at the TMO, disallowing the Toner try but awarding Conans?

3 good wins - 3 narky teams left
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

molloyjh wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Henshaw in MO team of the week. I'm not surprised: he (and Ferg) were everywhere; making a nuisance of rucks, tackling players backwards, carrying aggressively.
I'll give you one guess. In fairness, Archer played well, but his life was made substantially easier by Leicester being pretty mediocre. His performance may have been a bit more eye catching at a superficial level, but Furlongs was far superior in reality.
And for over 70 minutes! I know he does that quite often but still. He was certainly blowing (or "sucking diesel") at the end.
On that note, I was schooled in Limerick, but "sucking diesel" meant things were going well, rather than we were knackered or gasping for air. Does it mean something different in Wexford @wixford?
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

So many things to be happy about from that performance. I particularly liked the step up in tempo that Ross Byrne brought. We finished that bruising encounter on the attack. It had the Chiefs fans around me saying 'here we go again, they're going to score another try'. Roll on next week. :green clap:
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

olaf the fat wrote:disallowing the Toner try but awarding Conans?
Have to say I thought Conan was held up too...but Poite was the only person in the world who didn't think Toner's was a 100% try, so it evened itself out.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

outcast eddie wrote:I particularly liked the step up in tempo that Ross Byrne brought. We finished that bruising encounter on the attack. It had the Chiefs fans around me saying 'here we go again, they're going to score another try'. Roll on next week. :green clap:
Some credit for that must go to Gibson-Park. We've discussed his flaws in the past, but one of his positive attributes is that he really puts a tempo on the game.
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:I particularly liked the step up in tempo that Ross Byrne brought. We finished that bruising encounter on the attack. It had the Chiefs fans around me saying 'here we go again, they're going to score another try'. Roll on next week. :green clap:
Some credit for that must go to Gibson-Park. We've discussed his flaws in the past, but one of his positive attributes is that he really puts a tempo on the game.
You are forgetting the rules: no credit must go to JGP. Ever.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:disallowing the Toner try but awarding Conans?
Have to say I thought Conan was held up too...but Poite was the only person in the world who didn't think Toner's was a 100% try, so it evened itself out.
He said he had a clear view of the grounding for Conans but saw a hand under the ball for Toners. Hence the difference in question and outcome. He got himself into a good position for the Conan try too and had a better view than any camera. Both sides got lucky at times yesterday so I think overall it balanced out and the result was how it should have been given the respective performances.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Any injury updates?
Sexton?
Ruddock?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
And for over 70 minutes! I know he does that quite often but still. He was certainly blowing (or "sucking diesel") at the end.
On that note, I was schooled in Limerick, but "sucking diesel" meant things were going well, rather than we were knackered or gasping for air. Does it mean something different in Wexford @wixford?
A true blue meself but sucking diesel to me meant that one was flying.
Sucking fumes meant one was running on empty.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.