European Rugby Champions Cup

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by paddyor »

blockhead wrote:DOC was also saying that fatigue with the prem sides was a factor. In December! What will they be like come post 6Ns?
Meanwhile, Quins have named a depleted squad for friday game up in ravers. Surely it has to a 5 pointer for the Ulstermen.
Yeah I think he's on shakier ground there. He was pointing out that Exeter had Saracens and Bath in the run to the game. They romped home against Bath (think it was 42-10 before Bath tacked on some consolation tries). Alot of our players featured in 3 test matches. The English and Welsh Lions appear to be dropping like flies though.

Webb
Biggar
Faletau
Warburton
Vunipola
Itoje
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:
blockhead wrote:DOC was also saying that fatigue with the prem sides was a factor. In December! What will they be like come post 6Ns?
Meanwhile, Quins have named a depleted squad for friday game up in ravers. Surely it has to a 5 pointer for the Ulstermen.
Yeah I think he's on shakier ground there. He was pointing out that Exeter had Saracens and Bath in the run to the game. They romped home against Bath (think it was 42-10 before Bath tacked on some consolation tries). Alot of our players featured in 3 test matches. The English and Welsh Lions appear to be dropping like flies though.

Webb
Biggar
Faletau
Warburton
Vunipola
Itoje
Traditionally France have won the 6Ns in the season following a Lions tour.
This season could be different in that traditionally France didn't have to contend with a very competitive Ireland.
Given Ireland's relatively light (and normal) involvement compared to England and Wales, there is a great opportunity for Ireland to win this season's 6Ns.
Scotland have the same opportunity although not necessarily the same resources.
So we could be looking at a season where England could finish runners up to us and Wales are involved in a dog fight with an improving Italy, if the performances of Treviso and Zebo :lol: are anything to go on.
Kiss of Death, I know, but at some stage if we want to win an RWC we are going to have to back ourselves and stop relying on the underdog tag.
If we play NZ twice next AIs then we have to be thinking we are going to win at least one of those matches rather than hoping we will.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Funny how international sides can prepare for French refs but AP ones cant

Harlequinns have sent a very weakened team to Belfast. If Ulster can get the BP win theyre seriously in contention for a QF as a runner up
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

simonokeeffe wrote:Funny how international sides can prepare for French refs but AP ones cant

Harlequinns have sent a very weakened team to Belfast. If Ulster can get the BP win theyre seriously in contention for a QF as a runner up
They’ll still have a tough job of it unless La Rochelle beat Wasps in the Ricoh. Which we don’t want. If La Rochelle lose then we can move ahead of them in the seedlings this weekend. And you’d have to think with a home game against a disinterested Glasgow we should be able to manage 5 points, putting us in a great place going into the last round.

Ulster will have a trip to the Ricoh and a home game against La Rochelle to come after this weekend whereas both Wasps have an away game against a disinterested Quins.....
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

molloyjh wrote: They’ll still have a tough job of it unless La Rochelle beat Wasps in the Ricoh. Which we don’t want. If La Rochelle lose then we can move ahead of them in the seedlings this weekend. And you’d have to think with a home game against a disinterested Glasgow we should be able to manage 5 points, putting us in a great place going into the last round.

Ulster will have a trip to the Ricoh and a home game against La Rochelle to come after this weekend whereas both Wasps have an away game against a disinterested Quins.....
In the HCup days I'd be all over the permutations of this, but now I'm just down right confused by the groups. Am I right in saying the top 2 pool winners get home draws for QFs and SFs? Is that why you dont want La Rochelle to win?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
molloyjh wrote: They’ll still have a tough job of it unless La Rochelle beat Wasps in the Ricoh. Which we don’t want. If La Rochelle lose then we can move ahead of them in the seedlings this weekend. And you’d have to think with a home game against a disinterested Glasgow we should be able to manage 5 points, putting us in a great place going into the last round.

In the HCup days I'd be all over the permutations of this, but now I'm just down right confused by the groups. Am I right in saying the top 2 pool winners get home draws for QFs and SFs? Is that why you dont want La Rochelle to win?
Exactly. Teams need to finish in the top 2 seeds and hope for all home wins in the QFs to get a home SF. Alternatively teams need to be a runner up in their group, win their away QF and hope that the team they play the SF against is either a pool winner or seeded below them as runners up to get a home SF. Clear as mud, eh!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

The only teams guaranteed a home semi, should they win their (away) QF, are teams seeded 5th at 6th.
3rd and 4th seed teams are guaranteed an away semi no matter what.
It does pose the question as to whether you'd be better off as 4th seed or 5th seed.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Laighin Break wrote:The only teams guaranteed a home semi, should they win their (away) QF, are teams seeded 5th at 6th.
3rd and 4th seed teams are guaranteed an away semi no matter what.
It does pose the question as to whether you'd be better off as 4th seed or 5th seed.
You would, assuming you win your away QF. But you have to win that first. At the end of the day you're probably better off seeding 1st or 2nd. To get a home SF then you just need the home team from the relevant QF to win. That's probably a safer bet really. Otherwise you're playing silly buggars trying to secure a home SF before ever playing your QF.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Anyone got any information on this? Some fresh new gouging hell from the suits in Sky and BT, or the possibility of more reasonable price to access Pro14 and European games?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42364401
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Hey kids, can you say oligopoly?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

So it looks like a straight shoot out between us, Clermont & La Rochelle for top two. If wasps win today at home to La Rochelle, we look in great shape. I'm assuming Saracens will lose to Clermont. Later on down the line, Ulster or Northampton could do us a favour in home matches. If La Rochelle beat wasps today, then we'll need them to lose away to Ulster AND we'll probably need to beat Montpellier away.

Clermont will probably finish on 27 or 28 points. Hopefully La Rochelle will finish no higher than 24/25. Hopefully we can get to 27, but we could be 23/24. Pools 4 and 5 don't look like they'll produce a top 3 team.

Seeding could be Clermont (28), Leinster (27), La Rochelle (25), Toulon (23), Munster (21), Bath (22), Ulster (21), Saracens (19)
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

CiaranIrl wrote:So it looks like a straight shoot out between us, Clermont & La Rochelle for top two. If wasps win today at home to La Rochelle, we look in great shape. I'm assuming Saracens will lose to Clermont. Later on down the line, Ulster or Northampton could do us a favour in home matches. If La Rochelle beat wasps today, then we'll need them to lose away to Ulster AND we'll probably need to beat Montpellier away.

Clermont will probably finish on 27 or 28 points. Hopefully La Rochelle will finish no higher than 24/25. Hopefully we can get to 27, but we could be 23/24. Pools 4 and 5 don't look like they'll produce a top 3 team.

Seeding could be Clermont (28), Leinster (27), La Rochelle (25), Toulon (23), Munster (21), Bath (22), Ulster (21), Saracens (19)

21-3 with 6 mins left, suits us nicely!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Wasps 21-3 la Rochelle (4-0) perfect result for Ulster, and us too.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

Great start for Saracens, better for us if they were to win?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Draw is better
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

If Sarries win then both teams will probably end up arond 24pts. So a Clermont win and maybe Sarries could be pipped for a QF spot.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Great that Wasps won. Puts us in a strong position for top two.

Clermont leading against Sarries now. I'd be happy for Clermont to win this really.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

2 pts in it 20 to go. Clermont with a man in the bin
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sarries 3 ahead. Both with a man in the bin
johng
Gordon D'Arcy