Coventry -4
ASR -30

My predictions for the QF:

1 Leinster v 8 R92
2 ASM v 7 Exeter
3 Munster v 6 Ulster
4 La Rochelle v 5 Scarlets
Hope so !.
Would definitely take that, we can beat Racing and there's a good chance the Scarlets would be beaten.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by wixfjord »

Aye I'd be delighted with a crack at Toulon or Metro.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

neill_m wrote:How the bookies see it:

Leinster -1
Exeter -9
Sarries -25
ASM -11
Scarlets -6
Munster -28
R92 -5
Coventry -4
ASR -30

1 Leinster v 8 R92
2 ASM v 7 Exeter
3 Munster v 6 Ulster
Not being a "punter" meself and not having been great at the ol' sums in school, could anyone explain why the turf accountants say -1 for Leinster and -28 for Munster when they mean they expect them to win by +1 and +28 respectively? It's something I can't get my head around.....
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

riocard911 wrote:

Leinster -1
Exeter -9
Sarries -25
ASM -11
Scarlets -6
Munster -28
R92 -5
Coventry -4
ASR -30

1 Leinster v 8 R92
2 ASM v 7 Exeter
3 Munster v 6 Ulster
Not being a "punter" meself and not having been great at the ol' sums in school, could anyone explain why the turf accountants say -1 for Leinster and -28 for Munster when they mean they expect them to win by +1 and +28 respectively? It's something I can't get my head around.....
It means that for the matches in question Leinster are starting with a handicap of -1 and Munster with -28
elfan
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

riocard911 wrote:

Leinster -1
Exeter -9
Sarries -25
ASM -11
Scarlets -6
Munster -28
R92 -5
Coventry -4
ASR -30

1 Leinster v 8 R92
2 ASM v 7 Exeter
3 Munster v 6 Ulster
Effectively yes. -1 for Leinster really means they cannot call it in my view.

It may not be popular on here and I hope I am proved wrong but I just see MHR wanting to finish the group on a high with a home win for their fans, particularly after the dispiriting show in Exeter last week. I think they will edge this and my hope is for us to get a lbp to guarantee first seed status.

Interesting the bookies have Scarlets favourites in Llanelli. I'd be delighted to see them win. 4 Pro14 teams in the last 8 would be great.
Four Stars
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Leinster -1
Exeter -9
Sarries -25
ASM -11
Scarlets -6
Munster -28
R92 -5
Coventry -4
ASR -30

1 Leinster v 8 R92
2 ASM v 7 Exeter
3 Munster v 6 Ulster
had my crystal ball out earlier in the week and came up with the same seeds 1 - 7 but had Toulon as 8th seed. Key to this weekend is securing seeds 1 or 2 and avoiding Exeter in the QF's.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

elfan wrote:
riocard911 wrote:

Leinster -1
Exeter -9
Sarries -25
ASM -11
Scarlets -6
Munster -28
R92 -5
Coventry -4
ASR -30

1 Leinster v 8 R92
2 ASM v 7 Exeter
3 Munster v 6 Ulster
It means that for the matches in question Leinster are starting with a handicap of -1 and Munster with -28
Sorry. What does that mean? How can Leinster have a "handicap" of minus one point, when the bookies are expecting them to win by plus one? The word handicap I understand as something negative. Here it seems to be something positive. I would have thought Montpellier are the one with the handicap of minus one as they are the team expected to lose by a point; so they're a point behind before the match has started that they have to make up. They to me would be the ones with the handicap. There's a logic here I can't follow. Please explain further!!!
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

riocard911 wrote:Sorry. What does that mean? How can Leinster have a "handicap" of minus one point, when the bookies are expecting them to win by plus one? The word handicap I understand as something negative. Here it seems to be something positive. I would have thought Montpellier are the one with the handicap of minus one as they are the team expected to lose by a point; so they're a point behind before the match has started that they have to make up. They to me would be the ones with the handicap. There's a logic here I can't follow. Please explain further!!!
I think it means that if Leinster started the match at -1 points and Montpelier at 0, the bookies expect the outcome to be a draw.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

In betting you get a handicap because you are deemed to be better than the opposition.

The handicap is how much of a headstart the opposition could have and you'd still win.

I think.
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

Take Munster as an example. Munster are 1/50 to win the match. Most people will not have a bet at such odds. So the bookies offer handicap betting to make it more attractive. So if you bet on Munster with the handicap(-28) the bookies are giving odds of 10/11. This means that Munster have to win by more than 28 points for you to win your bet. Or you could say for sake of the bet that Munster are starting the game on -28 points. If Muster win by more that 28 points you win your bet. If they win by 28 or less you lose.
Not sure if this explains it but best I can do
Last edited by elfan on January 19th, 2018, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
elfan
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

limecat wrote:
riocard911 wrote:Sorry. What does that mean? How can Leinster have a "handicap" of minus one point, when the bookies are expecting them to win by plus one? The word handicap I understand as something negative. Here it seems to be something positive. I would have thought Montpellier are the one with the handicap of minus one as they are the team expected to lose by a point; so they're a point behind before the match has started that they have to make up. They to me would be the ones with the handicap. There's a logic here I can't follow. Please explain further!!!
I think it means that if Leinster started the match at -1 points and Montpelier at 0, the bookies expect the outcome to be a draw.
That I can understand. Grma, Limecat!!! :happy clapper:
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

limecat wrote:
Not quite. The bookies would expect Leinster to still win with a 1 point handicap.

So say for example, we win 18-16. If we had a handicap of -1, we would still win 17-16. If we had a handicap of -2, the score would be 16-16 and the bookies wouldn't pay out on a Leinster to win handicap bet.
Anyone But New Zealand
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

elfan wrote:Take Munster as an example. Munster are 1/50 to win the match. Most people will not have a bet at such odds. So the bookies offer handicap betting to make it more attractive. So if you bet on Munster with the handicap(-28) the bookies are giving odds of 10/11. This means that Munster have to win by more than 28 points for you to win your bet. Or you could say for sake of the bet that Munster are starting the game on -28 points. If Muster win by more that 28 points you win your bet. If they win by 28 or less you lose.
Not sure if this explains it but best I can do
Gotcha now, Elfan. Thank you very much.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

kermischocolate wrote:In betting you get a handicap because you are deemed to be better than the opposition.

The handicap is how much of a headstart the opposition could have and you'd still win.

I think.
Indeed, also to factor in if 2 sides are evenly matched in the bookies' eyes, then the home side will be around -4 and the away side +4. So to take Munster as an example, they are considered 24 points favourites in their game + the element of home advantage.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

FLIP wrote:
limecat wrote:
Not quite. The bookies would expect Leinster to still win with a 1 point handicap.

So say for example, we win 18-16. If we had a handicap of -1, we would still win 17-16. If we had a handicap of -2, the score would be 16-16 and the bookies wouldn't pay out on a Leinster to win handicap bet.

I think it does reflect that the bookies would expect the outcome to be a draw if we started -1 to 0, or 0 to +1 (Montpellier's handicap), but that they'll pay out if it would be a win. (So they're hoping the don't have to pay out)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

even if only one English side goes through thatd be great, but zero, now that would be sweet
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The other game in our grouo, line-ups.
Glasgow: S Hogg, T Seymour, H Jones, A Dunbar, Leonardo Sarto, F Russell, G Horne; J Bhatti, G Turner, S Halanukonuka, R Harley, J Gray (capt), M Fagerson, M Smith, A Ashe.

Replacements: G Stewart, A Allan, D Rae, G Peterson, C Fusaro, A Price, P Horne, L Jones.

Exeter: P Dollman; L Turner, H Slade, I Whitten, O Woodburn; G Steenson (capt), N White; B Moon, L Cowan-Dickie, H Williams, M Lees, J Hill, D Ewers, D Armand, S Simmonds.

Replacements: E Taione, M Low, T Francis, T Salmon, M Kvesic, W Chudley, J Simmonds, T Gilbert-Hendrickson.
I think Glasgow will not want to go 6 for 6. Exeter are in for tough game.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

simonokeeffe wrote:even if only one English side goes through thatd be great, but zero, now that would be sweet
Have a real soft spot for Exeter been to both of our games there and find there supporters knowledgeable and warm hearted they have a great integrity about their club and the way they compete.
Flying wedge
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

footrush wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:even if only one English side goes through thatd be great, but zero, now that would be sweet
Have a real soft spot for Exeter been to both of our games there and find there supporters knowledgeable and warm hearted they have a great integrity about their club and the way they compete.
It's hard not to like the way they do their business, no big names just a carefully selected and developed squad/team