Sean O Brien

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Sean O Brien

Postby ror » July 24th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Anyone know anything about him ? I think he is a carlow man ?He is lighting up the training camp seamingly, a real no 7 in the making, he also packs a powerful punch in the team boxing sessions !!!
User avatar
ror
Graduate
 
Posts: 660
Joined: April 11th, 2008, 11:31 am

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby Danthefan » July 24th, 2008, 5:29 pm

To be honest I've not seen him play, all I know is he's an extremely highly rated young openside. Cheika described him in the past as "hard as nails". I think there was talk of him getting some gametime around the 6N past but he injured himself.
User avatar
Danthefan
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby Mauler » July 24th, 2008, 5:32 pm

Danthefan wrote:To be honest I've not seen him play, all I know is he's an extremely highly rated young openside. Cheika described him in the past as "hard as nails". I think there was talk of him getting some gametime around the 6N past but he injured himself.


Saw him play for Leinster A vs the Ireland U20s last season, best player on the pitch by a country mile. Fine player.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
User avatar
Mauler
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: February 8th, 2006, 3:04 pm
Location: Building The Wall

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby Dave Cahill » July 24th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Mauler wrote:
Danthefan wrote:To be honest I've not seen him play, all I know is he's an extremely highly rated young openside. Cheika described him in the past as "hard as nails". I think there was talk of him getting some gametime around the 6N past but he injured himself.


Saw him play for Leinster A vs the Ireland U20s last season, best player on the pitch by a country mile. Fine player.


He destroyed them. He was asked at one point by the ref to take it down a notch as it was only a friendly and they were only young lads...'but ref, i was on that team myself six months ago' :lol: Hes from Tullow in Carlow, a product of Tullow Community School, and helped coach Tullow in their run to the Provincial Towns Cup final last season whilst injured.

Lions captain, 2017...remember where you heard it first
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 22282
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby tackle-bag » July 24th, 2008, 7:02 pm

I reckon O'Brien is one of the main reasons Elsom has only been given a 1-year deal. It seems the Leinster management want to get him on the pitch for the first XV as soon as possible but feel that this season might be a tad too early for him. He's a superb player by all accounts - strong as an ox and very nimble for such a big guy.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
User avatar
tackle-bag
Isa Nacewa
 
Posts: 2972
Joined: March 25th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby thecoolfreak » July 24th, 2008, 10:54 pm

From what I've seen of o'Brien playing with UCD I can see him pushing keogh very hard this season for the back up flanker. He's a very talented rugby player
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 5572
Joined: January 26th, 2006, 2:43 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby Leinster Zulu » July 24th, 2008, 11:08 pm

thecoolfreak wrote:From what I've seen of o'Brien playing with UCD I can see him pushing keogh very hard this season for the back up flanker. He's a very talented rugby player


Surely Keogh will be the back up blindside and O'Brien the back up openside?
User avatar
Leinster Zulu
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 7965
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 8:56 pm

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby El Diablo » July 24th, 2008, 11:54 pm

Leinster Zulu wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:From what I've seen of o'Brien playing with UCD I can see him pushing keogh very hard this season for the back up flanker. He's a very talented rugby player


Surely Keogh will be the back up blindside and O'Brien the back up openside?

It's going to be a very competitive backrow again. Don't forget Kevin McLaughlin. He's not the new kid anymore. He's got to put in a big performance whenever he gets his chance.
User avatar
El Diablo
Mullet
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: April 14th, 2006, 1:34 am
Location: Happyland

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby Leinster Zulu » July 25th, 2008, 1:17 am

El Diablo wrote:
Leinster Zulu wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:From what I've seen of o'Brien playing with UCD I can see him pushing keogh very hard this season for the back up flanker. He's a very talented rugby player


Surely Keogh will be the back up blindside and O'Brien the back up openside?

It's going to be a very competitive backrow again. Don't forget Kevin McLaughlin. He's not the new kid anymore. He's got to put in a big performance whenever he gets his chance.


The way I see it is Rocky at blindside with Keogh as his back up, Jennings at openside with O'Brien as his back up and Heaslip at number eight with McLaughlin as his back up. But it depends on how well O'Brien gets on when he gets a chance this season for me. If anything happens to Rocky, for example (injured, moved to the second row because of an injury crisis, etc.), then it's possible that Jennings could move over the blinside with O'Brien coming in at openside with Keogh being ignored. Still, it's all ifs and buts at this early stage.
User avatar
Leinster Zulu
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 7965
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 8:56 pm

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby the spoofer » July 25th, 2008, 9:12 am

The way I see it is Rocky at blindside with Keogh as his back up, Jennings at openside with O'Brien as his back up and Heaslip at number eight with McLaughlin as his back up. But it depends on how well O'Brien gets on when he gets a chance this season for me. If anything happens to Rocky, for example (injured, moved to the second row because of an injury crisis, etc.), then it's possible that Jennings could move over the blinside with O'Brien coming in at openside with Keogh being ignored. Still, it's all ifs and buts at this early stage.[/quote]

If Stephen Keogh performs like he did last year he will be seeing a lot of A game action. After a good first season, he did not produce the goods last season
User avatar
the spoofer
Isa Nacewa
 
Posts: 2561
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby Donny B. » July 25th, 2008, 9:14 am

Dave Cahill wrote:
Lions captain, 2017...remember where you heard it first


No pressure then! :lol:

In fairness I've yet to see him play too, but he's definitely one to watch. At the players night at the Guinness Store Keith Gleeson made a special mention of him and he's as good a judge as it gets.
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26649
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby jezzer » July 25th, 2008, 9:19 am

Isn't Kev McL heading overseas for experience this season?

Also heard Trev Hogan has bulked up a fair bit and really doing well in training.
User avatar
jezzer
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 7111
Joined: February 1st, 2006, 12:41 pm

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby jrc » July 25th, 2008, 9:36 am

Leinster Zulu wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:From what I've seen of o'Brien playing with UCD I can see him pushing keogh very hard this season for the back up flanker. He's a very talented rugby player


Surely Keogh will be the back up blindside and O'Brien the back up openside?


There's only one backrow spot on the bench....
User avatar
jrc
Isa Nacewa
 
Posts: 2481
Joined: March 28th, 2006, 3:02 pm
Location: BAC

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby Donny B. » July 25th, 2008, 9:48 am

jezzer wrote:Isn't Kev McL heading overseas for experience this season?

Also heard Trev Hogan has bulked up a fair bit and really doing well in training.


Good to hear about Trevor, especially with Mal not getting any younger.

There was talk of McLaughlin going to South Africa for the summer to get some game time (along with three academy props under the guidance of Ollie).

I tried to post a question about whether this actually happened on the official Leinster site but the editor didn't even allow the question up (Good old deadsite democracy! :roll: ) so maybe it's a touchy subject for some reason.
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26649
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby jezzer » July 25th, 2008, 10:01 am

Donny B. wrote:
jezzer wrote:Isn't Kev McL heading overseas for experience this season?

Also heard Trev Hogan has bulked up a fair bit and really doing well in training.


Good to hear about Trevor, especially with Mal not getting any younger.

There was talk of McLaughlin going to South Africa for the summer to get some game time (along with three academy props under the guidance of Ollie).

I tried to post a question about whether this actually on the official Leinster site but the editor didn't even allow the question up (Good old deadsite democracy! :roll: ) so maybe it's a touchy subject for some reason.


Think Cheika is pretty hot on this, but his charges don't seem to share his enthusiasm! I know of one ex-academy prop who was pretty much told he'd have to go off to NZ for a season or two and might be in the frame when he got back, but it didn't suit him to up sticks and he's totally off the Leinster radar now, afaik. I think you'd be crazy not to go for a year if you were 24 or so and all the hassle was being sorted by the branch. Greta experience and couldn't do your rugby reputation and skills any harm.
User avatar
jezzer
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 7111
Joined: February 1st, 2006, 12:41 pm

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby thecoolfreak » July 25th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Donny B. wrote:
jezzer wrote:Isn't Kev McL heading overseas for experience this season?

Also heard Trev Hogan has bulked up a fair bit and really doing well in training.


Good to hear about Trevor, especially with Mal not getting any younger.

There was talk of McLaughlin going to South Africa for the summer to get some game time (along with three academy props under the guidance of Ollie).

I tried to post a question about whether this actually happened on the official Leinster site but the editor didn't even allow the question up (Good old deadsite democracy! :roll: ) so maybe it's a touchy subject for some reason.


I know Royce Burke Flynn and Jamie Hagan went to SA for the summer. I think Hagan has returned home though
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 5572
Joined: January 26th, 2006, 2:43 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby ror » November 29th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Interesting to read back!!!
User avatar
ror
Graduate
 
Posts: 660
Joined: April 11th, 2008, 11:31 am

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby AdamK » November 29th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Yeah, I'm still banking on this. ;)

Dave Cahill wrote:Lions captain, 2017...remember where you heard it first
User avatar
AdamK
Isa Nacewa
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: May 15th, 2011, 11:11 pm

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby ceemec » November 29th, 2012, 12:39 pm

It is indeed. Possibly somewhat relevant:

http://www.rugbyfancast.com/2012/11/blo ... ous-weapon

Interesting to read back how different players were rated. What a difference 15 months made between the origins of this thread to autumn 2009 in Kevin McLaughlin's career.
User avatar
ceemec
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 6794
Joined: April 23rd, 2006, 7:08 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Sean O Brien

Postby suisse » November 29th, 2012, 2:53 pm

ror wrote:Anyone know anything about him ?


Never heard of him.

Great thread. Love these ones.
User avatar
suisse
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 4876
Joined: April 2nd, 2007, 12:23 am
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Next

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest