Niall Kiely

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

janeymac08
Mullet

Re: Niall Kiely

Post by janeymac08 »

fourthirtythree wrote: This thread has gone on for WAY too long, but yes, his career in the IT has been mentioned in it. The question is: would this rubbish have been considered of a publishable standard back then? I might be looking at the past unrealistically. Back then, of course, they actually had staff. Most of them could actually read back then. The idea of a pompous, arrogant, clueless, patrician/toff like him does however fit in with my idea of the Irish Times dealing with the middle east.
I thought I should point out that out since some people think he is illiterate, his English must have been fairly good to have been the News Editor of the Irish Times when it was a highly regarded paper.

He is from Cork, so would be more of a rebel/liberal in the Robert Fisk mold than a toff though ... and he is winding you all up now. Most on here don't realise it.
anonymous_joe
Bookworm

Post by anonymous_joe »

janeymac08 wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote: This thread has gone on for WAY too long, but yes, his career in the IT has been mentioned in it. The question is: would this rubbish have been considered of a publishable standard back then? I might be looking at the past unrealistically. Back then, of course, they actually had staff. Most of them could actually read back then. The idea of a pompous, arrogant, clueless, patrician/toff like him does however fit in with my idea of the Irish Times dealing with the middle east.
I thought I should point out that out since some people think he is illiterate, his English must have been fairly good to have been the News Editor of the Irish Times when it was a highly regarded paper.

He is from Cork, so would be more of a rebel/liberal in the Robert Fisk mold than a toff though ... and he is winding you all up now. Most on here don't realise it.
I know Stephen Jones is deliberately winding me and all Irish and New Zealandish ( :P ) rugby fans up. It doesn't make him any less of a cnut.
Cows say moo.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

anonymous_joe wrote: I know Stephen Jones is deliberately winding me and all Irish and New Zealandish ( :P ) rugby fans up. It doesn't make him any less of a cnut.
I find Jones really amusing at this stage - probably because he has really been slagging off Munster for years now. Can't understand how anyone gets all hot and bothered about him at this stage.
anonymous_joe
Bookworm

Post by anonymous_joe »

janeymac08 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote: I know Stephen Jones is deliberately winding me and all Irish and New Zealandish ( :P ) rugby fans up. It doesn't make him any less of a cnut.
I find Jones really amusing at this stage - probably because he has really been slagging off Munster for years now. Can't understand how anyone gets all hot and bothered about him at this stage.
Sometimes it's nice to get properly outraged. :lol:
Cows say moo.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

janeymac08 wrote:He is from Cork, so would be more of a rebel/liberal in the Robert Fisk mold than a toff though ... and he is winding you all up now. Most on here don't realise it.
Eh, maybe I missed something, but how the f*ck does the fact that he comes from Cork make him a liberal 'in the Robert Fisk mold [sic]'? I can see some similarities; both are journalists, both worked in Beirut. However, one is frankly a titan of international journalism, and the other is now reduced to an odious pissant who tries to wind up a load of people he's never met. Well, that is a noble goal ...
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

hugonaut wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:He is from Cork, so would be more of a rebel/liberal in the Robert Fisk mold than a toff though ... and he is winding you all up now. Most on here don't realise it.
Eh, maybe I missed something, but how the f*ck does the fact that he comes from Cork make him a liberal 'in the Robert Fisk mold [sic]'? I can see some similarities; both are journalists, both worked in Beirut. However, one is frankly a titan of international journalism, and the other is now reduced to an odious pissant who tries to wind up a load of people he's never met. Well, that is a noble goal ...
Sorry, I phrased that badly. Cork is the rebel county, known better for its rebels than its toffs. Some people here I think got the idea he is someone who is from Leinster and who supports Munster - so just to clarify that part.The fact that he spent a couple of years as a war correspondent shows he has a bit more guts than your average internet warrior, which might give him a better perspective on what is actually important in life and worth getting worked up over.

As for Robert Fisk - I mentioned him as you may have come across him. Kiely worked as an Editor for a newspaper that commissioned Robert Fisk to write for it. Obviously Fisk rated the IT who rated Kiely well enough to make him News Editor back in the days when it actually was a good newspaper.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Fair enough, I take your points.

However, I stand by my point that writing an article to wind up people you've never met is a pretty knobbish activity. His second article was replete with intellectual posturing [some of which would irritate just about anybody who read it], and God only knows if he'll finish the trilogy with some mealy-mouthed 'tribute' to Leinster's win.
anonymous_joe
Bookworm

Post by anonymous_joe »

janeymac08 wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
Sorry, I phrased that badly. Cork is the rebel county, known better for its rebels than its toffs. Some people here I think got the idea he is someone who is from Leinster and who supports Munster - so just to clarify that part.The fact that he spent a couple of years as a war correspondent shows he has a bit more guts than your average internet warrior, which might give him a better perspective on what is actually important in life and worth getting worked up over.

As for Robert Fisk - I mentioned him as you may have come across him. Kiely worked as an Editor for a newspaper that commissioned Robert Fisk to write for it. Obviously Fisk rated the IT who rated Kiely well enough to make him News Editor back in the days when it actually was a good newspaper.
Being brave doesn't exclude you from the category of odious cnut. Just as an aside.
Cows say moo.
eddiedempsey
Bookworm

Post by eddiedempsey »

sorry to break the run of this thread but i just read the article.......
ha ha ha ha classic :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
BURNING THROUGH THE SKY YEAH....200 DEGREES....
THATS WHY THEY CALL ME MISTER STANLEY WRIGHT....
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

janeymac08 wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

at the risk of sounding pedantic Cork is known as the Rebel County not because of any great heroics in the 1920's ( of which there were many) but because they supported
Perkin Warbeck - a toff if ever there was one-as Pretender to the throne of England in the 1490's .Always amazes me That so many Corkonions are unaware of it even as they go on about the Pale. :D
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

orfeo wrote:at the risk of sounding pedantic Cork is known as the Rebel County not because of any great heroics in the 1920's ( of which there were many) but because they supported
Perkin Warbeck - a toff if ever there was one-as Pretender to the throne of England in the 1490's .Always amazes me That so many Corkonions are unaware of it even as they go on about the Pale. :D

:lol: I'm not from Cork, but one of the next door neighbours - who have learned to live with them :D I was thinking more on the rebelliousness of the Cork hurlers, Roy Keane, Stephen Ireland. Then of course you have the Denis Irwins, Sonia O'Sullivans ...

While we are on the subject, Tipperary [my county] is the Premier County, a description attributed to Thomas Davis, Editor of The Nation newspaper in the 1840s as a tribute to the nationalistic feeling in Tipperary and said that "where Tipperary leads, Ireland follows".
Sarphil
Enlightened

Post by Sarphil »

janeymac08 wrote:
orfeo wrote:at the risk of sounding pedantic Cork is known as the Rebel County not because of any great heroics in the 1920's ( of which there were many) but because they supported

:lol: I'm not from Cork, but one of the next door neighbours - who have learned to live with them :D I was thinking more on the rebelliousness of the Cork hurlers, Roy Keane, Stephen Ireland. Then of course you have the Denis Irwins, Sonia O'Sullivans ...

While we are on the subject, Tipperary [my county] is the Premier County, a description attributed to Thomas Davis, Editor of The Nation newspaper in the 1840s as a tribute to the nationalistic feeling in Tipperary and said that "where Tipperary leads, Ireland follows".
No wonder we're doomed :wink: :D
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Sarphil wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:

No wonder we're doomed :wink: :D
Think two Leinster men are responsible for us being doomed - one in particular is from inside the Pale. :) :D
Sarphil
Enlightened

Post by Sarphil »

You got me there janeymac :P
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

That this clown ever held a responsible position in the Irish Times before taking the PR Shilling is more a sad reflection on them than anyone else.

He must have given a good blowjob! :P
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Hi Janey, Cork people frequently seem like toffs to Dubliners. Way it is.

I wasn't suggesting the gentleman was illiterate. Just that in the old days, when newspapers had actual real staff, a subeditor would have ripped the SH!TE out of PLEONASM like that.

Just like nobody here is impressed here with me using a RECONDITE word, nothing is achieved by self indulgent journalism like that. Funnily enough it's such an old fashioned patrician display. Elitist and at odds with his portrayal of himself and all munster fans as of the people.

Forget all that: again, I met so many Munster fans in Edinburgh and they were the shiznit. Apart from all my friends and family of course who delighted in making me even more nervous. I don't read the Times but his article opposite Hickiefan's made me feel the tide had turned and gave me hope.

Despite tha service, he's still a useless winker.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

It galls me even to bring it up, but this smug pr*ck now has the run of the Irish Times Saturday Sports back page. Whatever about Tom Humphries, who occasionally writes great articles when not airing his rugby/class-war grievances, how this chap gets such a great forum for expression is beyond me: he's not even a sports journalist!

I freely admit to carrying a chip on my shoulder over his two articles post and prior the HEC semi-final – hard not to do so, such a smug pr!*k in the first and a graceless knob in the second. The obvious advice is not to read him – advice which I'll follow – but I'm p*ssed off that I'll be contributing to his monthly wedge. I'm actually surprised by how much it irks me, but I actually far prefer the weekend edition of the IT to the Sunday papers, and now this odious little twerp is spouting his guff all over the sports section. The humanity etc.

As Seymour Skinner once said, "I'm a small man in many ways ... a small, petty man."
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Id love to kick the living sh!t out of him. His smug face makes me wanna throw a Tyson-esce 12 punch combo!! :lol:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

He's a worthless little turd! Yet another sign of the dumbing down of the Times Sports section under Malachy Logan.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Who is this lad and what's he been writing (don't get the IT over here and haven't seen his stuff online)? Should I invite him to post here? :D
We're all red on the inside.