Pubs to watch the games..

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Re: Pubs to watch the games..

Post by rosscarrick »

I know plenty of pubs in Cork will be showing the Heineken Cup games - but are there any particular good ones for the Leinster match?
The French are predictably unpredictable
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Am making my annual pill-grim-age to Dubbers on Friday.

Was wondering if anyone knew a nice ye ol' pub near a place called Chapel-Lizard(?), where I could catch the Munster game on Saturday.

Cheers.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Try The Villager in the village itself.

Edit: That way, if they don't put it on, you're only a short walk from the Mullingar House, but the Villager is the better pub
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Apocrypha wrote:Am making my annual pill-grim-age to Dubbers on Friday.

Was wondering if anyone knew a nice ye ol' pub near a place called Chapel-Lizard(?), where I could catch the Munster game on Saturday.

Cheers.
I think of it as "Church is Weird" there is no "R" in it.

"Chapel is Odd"
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:Try The Villager in the village itself.

Edit: That way, if they don't put it on, you're only a short walk from the Mullingar House, but the Villager is the better pub
This, plus the fact that you're less likely to be run over falling out the door of the Villager!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

The Villager it is then.

Let's just hope the staff and/or punters are't dressed up as members of the Village People... :shock:
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Anyone know a great pub around Wicklow St to watch the games tmr? Somewhere that serves kickass coffee and properly poured pints of plain.

Cheers, Apo
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Apocrypha wrote:Anyone know a great pub around Wicklow St to watch the games tmr? Somewhere that serves kickass coffee and properly poured pints of plain.

Cheers, Apo
O'Neills on Suffolk Street is a good bet to be showing the games.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Apocrypha wrote:Anyone know a great pub around Wicklow St to watch the games tmr? Somewhere that serves kickass coffee and properly poured pints of plain.

Cheers, Apo
Places that serve the best pints of G, rarely offer much in the way of coffee, but I'd venture up the road to Peters Pub on Johnsons place (2 min walk).

EDIT: great for guinness- NOT FOR WATCHING RUGBY THOUGH. Sheehans on Chatham st. a better call!!!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Cheers, Apo
How about the Posterhouse on Nassau Street? You wouldn't get Guinness, Beamish or Murphy's there, but they have a good range of beers. I hear the coffee isn't too bad either.

EDIT: you posted this yesterday about today's games, not today about tomorrow's game. Ignore me, so.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Saw the Blackshaw, Richter and Polke exhibitions in the RHA in the morning.

We ended up in O'Neill's off Wicklow St, as per usual. Great to see Brewdog Punk IPA on tap... :green clap: ...

Managed to pick up a 1st ed. Blue Note of Don Cherry's Elephantasy on vinyl for 20E ( :shock: ) in between games - fan-fukin-tastic!!!

Dublin's a nice town... :oops:
johnmcg
Bookworm

Post by johnmcg »

Anyone know of a good pub in edinburgh that will be showing the Scarlets v Leinster game on Saturday night?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johnmcg wrote:Anyone know of a good pub in edinburgh that will be showing the Scarlets v Leinster game on Saturday night?
You might be struggling. AFAIK it's only on TG4. Unless someone knows an Irish pub that has access to that through satellite?

EDIT:

http://www.livesportsbars.tv/bars/edinb ... -wake-497/

This place is a bit of a kip but it is useful for watching games. It has TG4 listed as one of it's channels but says it's showing Tigers-Sarrries match

http://www.livesportsbars.tv/bars/edinb ... -fixtures/

Might be worth giving them a call or email to see if they can stick it on for you though.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Drop Kick Murphy's will probably be showing it too, but again, it's a bit of a kip.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TheBear wrote:Drop Kick Murphy's will probably be showing it too, but again, it's a bit of a kip.
A right dump, but I'm sure John can hold his nose for a couple of hours if it means seeing the game.
johnmcg
Bookworm

Post by johnmcg »

Cheers for the tips. Given that we arrive in Edinburgh at 8am I'd be more worried about the state of us than the state of the pub :D
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johnmcg wrote:Cheers for the tips. Given that we arrive in Edinburgh at 8am I'd be more worried about the state of us than the state of the pub :D
:lol:

There's a bar just down the hill from Waverly, under the bridge, which is pretty good for showing almost any sporting event you can think of. They even have screens in the mirrors in the bathrooms, just so you don't miss anything.

If I remember the name, it might be worth checking if they'll be showing it.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johnmcg wrote:Cheers for the tips. Given that we arrive in Edinburgh at 8am I'd be more worried about the state of us than the state of the pub :D
Well if you go straight to the Three Sisters like we did once after arriving on the red eye, don't worry about seeing the game cause you won't remember it anyhow!! :wink:
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Any suggestions of a good (Leinster friendly :) ) place in Cork to watch the Munster V Leinster game next week.

Group of 15 on a stag so somewhere that we could possibly book an area and that does food too
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

R-Dog wrote:Any suggestions of a good (Leinster friendly :) ) place in Cork to watch the Munster V Leinster game next week.

Group of 15 on a stag so somewhere that we could possibly book an area and that does food too
Only time I was in Cork for a Leinster Munster game, Clancys looked after us well.

Free fingerfood too.