Leinster squad to face Exeter Chiefs...

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Leinster squad to face Exeter Chiefs...

Post by johng »

The Leinster squad to face the Exeter Chiefs in Saturday's British & Irish Cup clash in Sandy Park (KO: 3pm) has been named...
Ireland internationals Girvan Dempsey, Trevor Hogan, Bernard Jackman, Malcolm O'Kelly and Mike Ross are named in the extended panel for the trip to Exeter on Saturday.

There's an exciting blend of youth and experience with Shaun Berne - who has an 80% success rate with the boot in the competition to date - named amongst the backs alongside the likes of Michael Keating, Niall Morris and Eoin O'Malley.

In the pack, Stan Wright joins the likes of Leinster Academy duo Ciaran Ruddock and Eoin Sheriff who have both shown impressive recent form.

Leinster lie on top of Pool A having won both of their opening matches and face an Exeter side who lie in second place in the English Championship.

Leinster squad to face the Exeter Chiefs...

FORWARDS: Stan Wright, Mike Ross, Ronan McCormack, Bernard Jackman, Richardt Strauss, Jason Harris-Wright, Trevor Hogan, Malcolm O'Kelly, Devin Toner, Ciaran Ruddock, Eoin Sheriff, Paul Ryan, Stephen Keogh, Jordi Murphy

BACKS: Chris Keane, David Moore, Paul O'Donohoe, Ian Madigan, Shaun Berne, Kyle Tonetti, Eoin O'Malley, Simon Keogh, David Kearney, Girvan Dempsey, Niall Morris, Michael Keating

REFEREE: Leighton Hodges (WRU)

POOL A:

Leinster, Cornish Pirates, Newport, Exeter Chiefs, Plymouth Albion, Gael Force

RESULTS:

Exeter Chiefs 15 v 0 Gael Force - Saturday 28th Nov 2009, Leinster 12 v 10 Cornish Pirates - Friday 27th Nov 2009, Newport 3 v 3 Plymouth Albion - Friday 27th Nov 2009, Cornish Pirates 29 v 8 Gael Force - Sunday 22nd Nov 2009, Plymouth Albion 13 v 16 Leinster - Saturday 21st Nov 2009, Newport 21 v 14 Exeter Chiefs - Friday 20th Nov 2009
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Leinster squad to face Exeter Chiefs...

Post by johng »

Unless Malcolm O'Kelly or Bernard Jackman need a run :D
I would like
Stan Wright
Richardt Strauss
Mike Ross
Trevor Hogan
Devin Toner
Eoin Sheriff,
Paul Ryan
Stephen Keogh

Paul O'Donohoe
Shaun Berne
Simon Keogh
Kyle Tonetti
Eoin O'Malley
David Kearney
Girvan Dempsey

Jason Harris-Wright
Ronan McCormack
Ciaran Ruddock
Jordi Murphy
Chris Keane
Ian Madigan
Michael Keating/Niall Morris
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Why is the game clashing with the international game? I know the overlap is not much but still?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Fred Funk wrote:Why is the game clashing with the international game? I know the overlap is not much but still?
Well it won't be on any TV that I am aware of, and I can't see many travelling to Exeter from Ireland.
There are no players who are within an asses roar of the Irish setup, so why not I suppose.
Gets the team reved up for the following weekend v the Scarlets.
If they win it, it will be some achievement.
Away from home v one of the top teams challenging for promotion, with no support.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

I may have been tempted to travel down if it didn't clash
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Degz wrote:I may have been tempted to travel down if it didn't clash
Ireland game at 17:30 you could watch it in a pub in Exeter (Wherever the f&*k that is)
Hold on, that is local time........ Never mind
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Couple of familair names in the match squad....
Exeter Chiefs v Leinster
British & Irish Cup
Saturday, February 13, 2010 – KO 3pm
Sandy Park

Forwards:
Chris Bentley, Sam Blythe, Dave Ewers , Lloyd Fairbrother, David Gannon, Tom Johnson, Shane Kingsland, Addison Lockley, Ben moon, Ruaidhrí Murphy, Saul Nelson, James Scaysbrook, Michael Stupple and Sean Tomes.

Backs:
Tom Bedford, Richard Bolt, Matt Cornwell, Danny Gray, Nick Greenhalgh, Emyr Lewis, Drew Locke, Sean Marsden, Paul McKenzie, Ben Spencer and Clive Stuart-Smith.
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

Sea_point wrote:Couple of familair names in the match squad....
Exeter Chiefs v Leinster
British & Irish Cup
Sandy Park

Forwards:
Chris Bentley, Sam Blythe, Dave Ewers , Lloyd Fairbrother, David Gannon, Tom Johnson, Shane Kingsland, Addison Lockley, Ben moon, Ruaidhrí Murphy, Saul Nelson, James Scaysbrook, Michael Stupple and Sean Tomes.

Backs:
Tom Bedford, Richard Bolt, Matt Cornwell, Danny Gray, Nick Greenhalgh, Emyr Lewis, Drew Locke, Sean Marsden, Paul McKenzie, Ben Spencer and Clive Stuart-Smith.
Did Paul McKenzie play with Ulster for a bit? Also I see Clive Stuart Smith in there, not so long ago he was the next big thing!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Ruaidhrí Murphy is a good player who will eventually play at a much higher level if he manages to stay fit and injury free. He'll probably need to trim down a bit to make it in the professional ranks - I've seen a few photos of him where he looks like he's carrying a fair amount of excess baggage.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

tackle-bag wrote:Ruaidhrí Murphy is a good player who will eventually play at a much higher level if he manages to stay fit and injury free. He'll probably need to trim down a bit to make it in the professional ranks - I've seen a few photos of him where he looks like he's carrying a fair amount of excess baggage.
You on crack? Murph is in great shape for a prop. Probably does look a bit round in the face but as far as props go, he's pretty trim.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

gleesonisgod wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:Ruaidhrí Murphy is a good player who will eventually play at a much higher level if he manages to stay fit and injury free. He'll probably need to trim down a bit to make it in the professional ranks - I've seen a few photos of him where he looks like he's carrying a fair amount of excess baggage.
You on crack? Murph is in great shape for a prop. Probably does look a bit round in the face but as far as props go, he's pretty trim.
The photo on this page isn't the biggest but it's recent and he looks like a complete lugger in it: http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/chiefsnew ... ticle.html

He's almost 19 stone at 6'2". He would be doing very well to stay in decent nick with those statistics.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

ratpack wrote:
Sea_point wrote:Couple of familair names in the match squad....
Exeter Chiefs v Leinster
British & Irish Cup
Sandy Park

Forwards:

Backs:
Did Paul McKenzie play with Ulster for a bit? Also I see Clive Stuart Smith in there, not so long ago he was the next big thing!
Yeah, Paul McKenzie was in Ulster's squad for a couple of years before being released. An honest trier, but not quite big enough, quick enough or elusive enough to hold down a wing position, even at ML level.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

johng wrote:Unless Malcolm O'Kelly or Bernard Jackman need a run :D
I would like
Stan Wright
Richardt Strauss
Mike Ross
Trevor Hogan
Devin Toner
Eoin Sheriff,
Paul Ryan
Stephen Keogh

Paul O'Donohoe
Shaun Berne
Simon Keogh
Kyle Tonetti
Eoin O'Malley
David Kearney
Girvan Dempsey

Jason Harris-Wright
Ronan McCormack
Ciaran Ruddock
Jordi Murphy
Chris Keane
Ian Madigan
Michael Keating/Niall Morris
Would prefer Madigan at 10 and Beirne at 12, but agree otherwise! You have got to wonder about the gap on paper between our second string and their first. Makes the tournament look a bit Dodge. Any top team's second string should be favourites here. Does anyone think for a second that Leicester's second team wouldn't win the championship very easily?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Post by Justtoby »

LEINSTER:

15: Girvan Dempsey
14: Niall Morris
13: Eoin O'Malley
12: Shaun Berne
11: David Kearney
10: Ian Madigan
9: Paul O'Donohoe CAPTAIN

1: Stan Wright
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Trevor Hogan
5: Malcolm O'Kelly
6: Eoin Sheriff
7: Paul Ryan
8: Stephen Keogh

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Jason Harris-Wright
17: Ronan McCormack
18: Devin Toner
19: Ciaran Ruddock
20: David Moore
21: Kyle Tonetti
22: Simon Keogh
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

You'd have to question why MOK is starting a game of this caliber instead of Toner. He must be doing fock all in training.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Avenger wrote:He must be doing fock all in training.
Who? Mal or Toner?
Simon Keogh must be wondering what he has to do. Can't get a start ahead of a young FB (Morris) on the wing.
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Post by Justtoby »

Avenger wrote:You'd have to question why MOK is starting a game of this caliber instead of Toner. He must be doing fock all in training.
Or with Cullen and Hines missing the game next weekend against Llanelli Scarlets, Michael Cheika wants to give his second row for that game a chance to play together beforehand. I'd question why Devin Toner has been overtaken by Trevor Hogan after moving ahead of him last season.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Toner. I mean he should be kicking on. He had a good few starts last season and has gone back IMO.
At this stage, he should be ahead of Mal who is really in the squad to provide experience and leadership.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Avenger wrote:Toner. I mean he should be kicking on. He had a good few starts last season and has gone back IMO.
At this stage, he should be ahead of Mal who is really in the squad to provide experience and leadership.
Aye, Spot on.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Have to disagree. Mal is playing very effective rugby for us this season. Sure, he's not an 80 minute man but when he's played he's been playing well. Definately deserves his runout for game time. Toner has had A international game time to tide him over. Mal has had a decent few weeks off.

I think we should remember too, that it's up to guys like Toner, Hogan et al to wrestle the postion from Mal. He's playing significantly better than our other options at the moment. I think we have to be careful that we are not simply handing the jersey down to these young guys. They've got to earn it and right now, they're simply prentenders to the thrown.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on