Blues Talk tv

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:Two of the 3 men prefer the format. The dog has so far been non committal
Oy, I know I can be a bitch at times but isn't it a little bit unfair to call me 'the dog'
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
bluestalktv
Knowledgeable

Post by bluestalktv »

This week in Blues Talk we take a look back at Leinster’s bonus point victory over Cardiff in the RDS and review the rest of last weekend’s results in part one before, in part two, previewing this weekend’s upcoming fixtures and taking a look at Leinster’s history making visit* to South Africa to take on the Southern Kings and the Toyota Cheetahs.

*the episode was recorded before ‘visageddon’ – bloody typical
bluestalktv
Knowledgeable

Post by bluestalktv »

This week on Blues Talk we take a look back at Leinster’s historic first match in South Africa – a bonus point victory over the Southern Kings, discuss some of the issues that have surrounded the trip, and take a look at the rest of last weekends results in the Guinness Pro14. In part two we preview the second match of the tour, against the Toyota Cheetahs in the Free State and the other games in this weekend’s round of action and talk about the rest of the week’s Rugby news.
bluestalktv
Knowledgeable

Post by bluestalktv »

This week on Blues Talk we take a look back at Leinster’s disappointing loss away to Cheetahs in Bloemfontein and discuss the rest of last weekends action before, in part two, previewing Leinster’s return to the RDS against Edinburgh, preview the rest of the weekends fixtures and discuss Irelands RWC2023 bid submission.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

This is the Luke Fitz vs Paul Kimmage podcast: https://soundcloud.com/the-left-wing. If ye haven't heard it, it's worth listening to, IMO.

Although I wouldn't have previously thought much of Kimmage, by the end of it I found myself agreeing with him. He spoke out against "gamesmanship", which has ruined soccer and it would seem is starting to ruin GAA. (http://www.independent.ie/sport/columni ... 84719.html)

Luke said it isn't "cheating" if the ref doesn't call it out. Personally, I think he's codding himself. Kimmage is also trying, it seems to raise the issue of doping in rugby. Luke wouldn't accept that taking painkillers - if the doc says it's ok - is doping. Gimme a break. Love him or hate him Kimmage at least takes a stand. That's maybe why the likes of Luke don't want anything to do with him, as they're not prepared to rock the boat. Meanwhile everyone complains about the increasing injury levels, while at the same time Kimmage, when he raises the issue, is accused of being a "bully". What do you guys reckon?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Luke was very ill prepared and didn't seem to know what point he was making. The presenter and Luke were absolutely schooled. Won't make that mistake again.

But also Kimmage really did use obfuscation and bullying tactics. He too over the whole thing, talked about what he wanted to talk about and wouldn't respond on anything he didn't. (Ironically, do those tactics remind you of a certain cyclist? Maybe Kimmage has learned something from his Lance pursuit...).
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:Luke was very ill prepared and didn't seem to know what point he was making. The presenter and Luke were absolutely schooled. Won't make that mistake again.

But also Kimmage really did use obfuscation and bullying tactics. He too over the whole thing, talked about what he wanted to talk about and wouldn't respond on anything he didn't. (Ironically, do those tactics remind you of a certain cyclist? Maybe Kimmage has learned something from his Lance pursuit...).
Sorry, but arguing the merits or demerits of their respective debating styles is a distraction from the valid, IMO, points Kimmage was attempting raise: gamesmanship - I thought in rugby we were above this, Luke doesn't obviously - and the (ab)use of painkillers in order to be able to play, which he would define as doping; Luke disagreed. This is what I would love to hear other rugby fans' opinion about - in particular those of the Blues Talk Three, if they're interested.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Luke was very ill prepared and didn't seem to know what point he was making. The presenter and Luke were absolutely schooled. Won't make that mistake again.

Sorry, but arguing the merits or demerits of their respective debating styles is a distraction from the valid, IMO, points Kimmage was attempting raise: gamesmanship - I thought in rugby we were above this, Luke doesn't obviously - and the (ab)use of painkillers in order to be able to play, which he would define as doping; Luke disagreed. This is what I would love to hear other rugby fans' opinion about - in particular those of the Blues Talk Three, if they're interested.
It really isn't. If there's a debate to be had, then they should have it. But that wasn't a debate, it was Kimmage acting like a well prepared spoilt child and taking over 45 minutes of a podcast without listening to any other view.

People would listen to Kimmage more if he weren't such a stubborn, dislikeable contrarian with a contempt for any opinion that doesn't match his own. This isn't a black and white scenario, no matter what he'd like to think.

If you think that we're 'above gamesmanship' in rugby, you're sorely mistaken too! In pro sports people will always look to get an edge.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Also, taking painkillers isn't doping. Whether it's morally wrong or right is a separate question.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

@ Wixford. I care to disagree. If "gamesmanship" is the done thing, then we should have nothing to complain about, if rugby players indulge in all the nonsense soccer players do e.g. faking injuries, writhing around on the ground etc? Is that what you're advocating? Also pain killers not "being" doping is a little bit like Clinton claiming to not having "sex" with "that woman" cos she blew him as opposed to him getting his end away.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I don't think Rugby can take any high moral ground over any sport, and particularly not soccer, considering its history in South Africa and France.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote:@ Wixford. I care to disagree. If "gamesmanship" is the done thing, then we should have nothing to complain about, if rugby players indulge in all the nonsense soccer players do e.g. faking injuries, writhing around on the ground etc? Is that what you're advocating? Also pain killers not "being" doping is a little bit like Clinton claiming to not having "sex" with "that woman" cos she blew him as opposed to him getting his end away.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm advocating.

Well done on keeping the discussion mature and reasoned.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:I don't think Rugby can take any high moral ground over any sport, and particularly not soccer, considering its history in South Africa and France.
I agree, Dave. But what does that mean? That we tell Kimmage to stop bothering us with his old-fashioned defence of the Corinthian ideals and tell him to go watch James Caan's "Rollerball" and get with the program? Are the points he's raising mere old hat?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I don't think Rugby can take any high moral ground over any sport, and particularly not soccer, considering its history in South Africa and France.
I agree, Dave. But what does that mean? That we tell Kimmage to stop bothering us with his old-fashioned defence of the Corinthian ideals and tell him to go watch James Caan's "Rollerball" and get with the program? Are the points he's raising mere old hat?
Not so much old hat as no hat. Corinthian ideals never existed - they were just an elitest trope, a way for 'gentlemen' to discriminate against the hoi polloi and enforce how innately better than the masses they were
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
Not so much old hat as no hat. Corinthian ideals never existed - they were just an elitest trope, a way for 'gentlemen' to discriminate against the hoi polloi and enforce how innately better than the masses they were
Tuigim. So Kimmage is barking up the wrong tree and Luke is just obfuscating.
bluestalktv
Knowledgeable

Post by bluestalktv »

This week, in an audio only episode, we take a look back at Leinster’s lacklustre victory over Edinburgh in the RDS, discuss the rest of the weekends results, and how the Italian teams and Cheetahs are really contributing to the league so far this season before, in part two, previewing the Aviva Stadium clash between Leinster and Munster.
bluestalktv
Knowledgeable

Post by bluestalktv »

This week on Blues Talk we take a look back at Leinster’s victory over Munster in the Aviva Stadium, Ulster’s win against Connacht and the rest of last weekend’s derby action before, in part two, previewing the return of the European Champions Cup as Leinster take on free-spending Montpellier in the RDS, Munster travel to the south of France to play Castres and Ulster welcome Wasps to the Kingspan. We query whether there too many fixtures repeating from previous seasons, discuss Dai Young’s comments about the increased number of contacts per game and ask are the recent changes to the refereeing of the ruck to blame.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

That weather, eh?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The hurricane blew the satellite uplink dishes off of the top of The Bluestalk Tower. Should be fixed tomorrow.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:The hurricane blew the satellite uplink dishes off of the top of The Bluestalk Tower. Should be fixed tomorrow.
Can you not reroute through the annex skywalk?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan