Mike Ross Appreciation Thread!

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Mike Ross Appreciation Thread!

Post by ronk »

Donny B. wrote:
ronk wrote: I've heard stories about Ross being a bit mouthy when at Munster but if you look at the track record for producing props Kidney has had a model to aim for. Buckley is an attempt at a carbon copy of Hayes, that's why they've pushed so much development effort into him. Kidney never showed much interest in Ross, he wasn't in any rush to develop Tim Ryan. Ross is just not the type of player Kidney rates, he sees what he brings, but he's not a fan. Ross can force his way in, Kidney wouldn't cut off his nose to spite his face, but he'll have to prove that he's clearly better than the other options.
Would be very surprised if these were true. Having met the man myself and judging by what Berch says about him in his book, if anything he's probably a bit too nice and quiet for his own good.
I've always been sceptical of those stories, particularly because the main source was unreliable.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Munsterboy wrote:
rdsblue wrote:I think Mike R showed great staying power last season when Cheika repeatedly picked CJVDL ahead of him even though VDL was almost always cr@p for Leinster (much better for SA).He also had to stay in line behind Stan who continued to be brilliant. Hayes and Mushy Buckle shouln't represent half as difficult a challenge. Mike should just keep on keeping on for Leinster and they wont be able to ignore him for ever.
You gotta ask why Cheika kept leaving him on the bench last year and DK and Smal are doing so now. I'm not talking about scrummaging ability here - he clearly has that - but there may be something they see that we don't.
Well then they're seeing things and need to be checked out.
Hallucination is a serious problem - What could be the cause of it, I wonder.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The Hayes and Toner in the lineout argument might be a runner if Ross wasn't part of the same lineout as Toner at Leinster! Fairly sure Mike can lift him! I thought he was under utilised last year (particularly behind a half crocked CJ) and that that penalty he gave away against LI was harshly held against him but there's no doubt he's playing much better this season. My guess is that that is simply down to playing time and the fact that that's being ignored by Kidney when he plays in what is a problem position crying out for new blood is a disgrace. I had no problem with Buckley starting last week because I could see the logic in it but for Ross to not be involved tomorrow is mindnumbingly stupid.
FFS - I could lift Toner (in a lineout) and I don't even do weights - It's mostly timing.
Do these guys ever listen to themselves, because if they did they'd be rolling there eyes up to to heaven.
This is the same sort of sh!te as MOD's ability to run the lineout.
I've never heard another international coach make reference to a props ability to lift in a lineout, in preference to his ability to scrum.
It's load of sh!te, load of sh!te, load of sh!te, load of sh!te, load of sh!te, load of sh!te, load of sh!te, load of sh!te, load of sh!te.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:Richardt Strauss barely played last year, he went from Currie Cup final to a serious fitness and nutrition program here. He's admitted in interviews that he had to completely change his diet, no more takeaways. With the benefit of time in the squad adapting to the way we play the game, he's looked the player I think a fair few of us knew he could be.

Stan Wright is a changed player from the one who first showed up. Ross got some fierce criticism for his overall play that was IMHO undeserved, a consensus was quickly built up that he could scrummage and nothing else, despite the evidence to the contrary for Quins and in a few appearances for Leinster. He wasn't the all action ball carrier that Stan Wright is, but his workrate couldn't really be faulted except in comparison to people like Stan and Healy. We are very highly demanding of our props when it comes to everything except scrummaging, it's only much later in their development do we show any interest in their scrummaging prowess.

I've heard stories about Ross being a bit mouthy when at Munster but if you look at the track record for producing props Kidney has had a model to aim for. Buckley is an attempt at a carbon copy of Hayes, that's why they've pushed so much development effort into him. Kidney never showed much interest in Ross, he wasn't in any rush to develop Tim Ryan. Ross is just not the type of player Kidney rates, he sees what he brings, but he's not a fan. Ross can force his way in, Kidney wouldn't cut off his nose to spite his face, but he'll have to prove that he's clearly better than the other options.
He has proved it, DK and the boys are in denial, although maybe yesterday will have changed their minds a bit.
Spudmaster
Learner

Post by Spudmaster »

I was talking to a friend who's being playing with Fermoy RFC (Ross' old club) for a couple of seasons. The lads at the club were telling him early in his career, Ross was pretty lazy and wasn't as talented as his brothers...which seems a bit strange considering he's made it and they didn't. Could it be that DK has already made his decision on Ross years ago and won't change his mind?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Good 40 minutes for him at the weekend. Really have to feel for the guy being messed about not playing for Ireland and running straight onto the pitch for Leinster without training.

We have backs who are craving some good ball and we're afraid to attempt a serious set piece.
jacothelad
Learner

Post by jacothelad »

I'm afraid after the daft decisions involving the selection of Buckley and Hayes ahead of Ross, there is no doubt that Kidney's decision making is not based on who is playing best / best equipped for a game. Logic dictates that he either has no knowledge at all about rugby or he picks the team simply on who his mates are. Buckley is a tracgcally bad prop in the same mould as Hayes who wouldn't have ever got 1 game for any other top 10 country never mind 100+ caps. As for the bilge about lifting in the line out - that is what it is. Pure unadulterated bilge.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

jacothelad wrote:I'm afraid after the daft decisions involving the selection of Buckley and Hayes ahead of Ross, there is no doubt that Kidney's decision making is not based on who is playing best / best equipped for a game. Logic dictates that he either has no knowledge at all about rugby or he picks the team simply on who his mates are. Buckley is a tracgcally bad prop in the same mould as Hayes who wouldn't have ever got 1 game for any other top 10 country never mind 100+ caps. As for the bilge about lifting in the line out - that is what it is. Pure unadulterated bilge.
What's kept out Ross has been the form of Court. He's come in and been a scrummaging tighthead with the advantage of playing loosehead. Ross might have forced himself a chance but Kidney had 3 tightheads he had to play in the AIs for various reasons and 4 would be way to adventurous for him with only one injury.

Buckley is the heir apparent who's finally ousting Hayes, Hayes has to be played to be kept, eh, warm and Court has been working hard at tightheading for Ulster. Ireland probably needed to see him there more than we did Ross and his form hasn't disappointed.

There's still the issue when the team is named tomorrow that the bombshell could be dropped of Court starting ahead of Buckley. Sure Buckley is racing back from injury, but still. From Buckley's perspective it would be tough to spend so long waiting in the wings behind Hayes and then miss his proper chance because he missed a week or two of an Autumn Series. Selecting the strongest team is more important, and there's also the issue that players who can't keep themselves fit will need to have better cover available.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Only problem is Buckley isn't a good enough scrummager and we continue to waste time hoping that he will be.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote:From Buckley's perspective it would be tough to spend so long waiting in the wings behind Hayes and then miss his proper chance because he missed a week or two of an Autumn Series. Selecting the strongest team is more important, and there's also the issue that players who can't keep themselves fit will need to have better cover available.
The reason he has spent so long waiting in the wings behind Hayes is because he is not HEC standard, let along International standard. That he is in the wings at all is ridiculous. Lets just hope there are some good props hanging around the burger concessions on Sunday.
I have Bumbleflex
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Dave Cahill wrote: Lets just hope there are some good props hanging around the burger concessions on Sunday.
:D :D :D
Get in the f%~king bag.
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

If Buckley gets cleaned out by Roncero (which is not unlikely) and Court has to be switched over / brought on then this should be a key element when DK comes to select for the Six Nations and that will probably be Mike R's last chance to get into the WC squad. I have a horrible feeling though that Kidney or Small just dont like Ross and no matter how well he plays they wont pick the guy. Hopefully Leinster will continue to benefit from Mike playing brilliantly to prove them wrong.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

Jasus maybe its not just Decci and Smal who dont like Ross -the team for Ospreys has just been announced and Mike R is on the bench for the second week running with Newland starting again. Strauss and Berne also out of squad completely.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
Spudmaster
Learner

Post by Spudmaster »

rdsblue wrote:Jasus maybe its not just Decci and Smal who dont like Ross -the team for Ospreys has just been announced and Mike R is on the bench for the second week running with Newland starting again. Strauss and Berne also out of squad completely.
I thought Dk has had Ross training (holding tackle bags) with the Irish team all week. It would be tough to put him straight in if he's missed Leinster training all week.

Thanks DK :clap:
Spudmaster
Learner

Post by Spudmaster »

Spudmaster wrote:
rdsblue wrote:Jasus maybe its not just Decci and Smal who dont like Ross -the team for Ospreys has just been announced and Mike R is on the bench for the second week running with Newland starting again. Strauss and Berne also out of squad completely.
I thought Dk has had Ross training (holding tackle bags) with the Irish team all week. It would be tough to put him straight in if he's missed Leinster training all week.

Thanks DK :clap:
It could all be a conspiracy...think about it! DK is trying to sabotage our season to help Munster. He purposely got luke and Rob injured, he tried to get BOD and D'arcy injured and he's taken Cullen and Ross away from us for no good reason.

It's all DK's fault :wink:
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Spudmaster wrote: It could all be a conspiracy...think about it! DK is trying to sabotage our season to help Munster. He purposely got luke and Rob injured, he tried to get BOD and D'arcy injured and he's taken Cullen and Ross away from us for no good reason.

It's all DK's fault :wink:
Declan Kidney stole my pen too.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

Yeah but he hasn't - Ross is on the bench for the Ospreys matych so he's got the worst of all worlds he's not in the Irish setup and he's got to sit watching the big Maori galloping around!
Oscar Wilde
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Slipper1 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Lets just hope there are some good props hanging around the burger concessions on Sunday.
I'll eat to that.
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

rdsblue wrote:Yeah but he hasn't - Ross is on the bench for the Ospreys matych so he's got the worst of all worlds he's not in the Irish setup and he's got to sit watching the big Maori galloping around!
Schmidt said earlier in the campaign that anybody released late by DK would only make the bench... Obviously he made an exception with Cullen as otherwise we'd have an academy guy playing who hasn't played this season.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:
I'll eat to that.
If you are going to the Arg match, bring your boots & Gumshield, Just in case.