Mike Ross Appreciation Thread!

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Munsterboy
Mullet

Re: Mike Ross Appreciation Thread!

Post by Munsterboy »

neilinboston wrote:
rdsblue wrote:Yeah but he hasn't - Ross is on the bench for the Ospreys matych so he's got the worst of all worlds he's not in the Irish setup and he's got to sit watching the big Maori galloping around!
Schmidt said earlier in the campaign that anybody released late by DK would only make the bench... Obviously he made an exception with Cullen as otherwise we'd have an academy guy playing who hasn't played this season.
That's Schmidt's call in fairness. No reason Ross couldn't be playing for you this weekend like Hayes is for Munster tonight and Cullen did.
We're all red on the inside.
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

Munsterboy wrote:
neilinboston wrote:
rdsblue wrote:Yeah but he hasn't - Ross is on the bench for the Ospreys matych so he's got the worst of all worlds he's not in the Irish setup and he's got to sit watching the big Maori galloping around!
Schmidt said earlier in the campaign that anybody released late by DK would only make the bench... Obviously he made an exception with Cullen as otherwise we'd have an academy guy playing who hasn't played this season.
That's Schmidt's call in fairness. No reason Ross couldn't be playing for you this weekend like Hayes is for Munster tonight and Cullen did.
Schmidt wants a team to start that have prepared for the game at hand. coming off the bench in the second half, the foundations fo the game are already laid. I agree with him on this... also glad that he's willing to change his ruling for Cullen as we badly need some experience in the row.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

There was no choice with Cullen to be fair, Toner and Hines were on international duty and we couldn't cope with missing Cullen too really.

Schmidt laid out his rules though, Toner found himself on the bench the week of the Saffer game too.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Another great performance from Ross on Sunday. We'll need him at the top of his game saturday. We're incredibly lucky to have him.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

with Buckley continuing to look like the softest lump of lard in rugby, kidney will be a laughing stock if he does not start using Ross.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Gerry Thornley wrote:In light of the way Munster’s scrum was handled by the Ospreys at the Liberty Stadium earlier in the day, it’s not stretching credibility to say that if Mike Ross had been playing for his native province they would have won.
Are you paying attention Deccie?
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
max
Beginner

Post by max »

Another Quality Scrummaging performance from Rossie! Come on now Deccie its gone beyond a joke.......
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

While its interesting to see commentators, journos, pundits and general rugby fans finally stand up and take notice I find it odd to hear so much about what Ross doesnt supposedly do around the pitch. Granted he is not quite Cian Healy or Stan Wright in the loose but he is carrying regularly for Leinster after multiple phases (hes getting around the park well). His hands are good and the error count which was fairly high in the first few games this year is right down. I'm not sure what else people expect to be honest.

This guy is a damn fine prop. There should be no buts about it.
Last edited by Logorrhea on December 20th, 2010, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The best TH in the country by, ooooooh, approximately 53.47 miles
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

johng wrote:The best TH in the country by, ooooooh, approximately 53.47 miles
Always wondered how long a country mile was :wink:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Logorrhea wrote:While its interesting to see commentators, journos, pundits and general rugby fans finally stand up and take notice I find it odd to hear so much about what Ross doesnt supposedly do around the pitch. Granted he is not quite Cian Healy or Stan Wright in the loose but he is carrying regularly for Leinster after multiple phases (hes getting around the park well). His hands are good and the error count which was fairly high in the first few games this year is right down. I'm not sure what else people expect to be honest.

But....... Tony Buckley has cool sideburns that is surely what really matters!! :wink:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Donny B. wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:While its interesting to see commentators, journos, pundits and general rugby fans finally stand up and take notice I find it odd to hear so much about what Ross doesnt supposedly do around the pitch. Granted he is not quite Cian Healy or Stan Wright in the loose but he is carrying regularly for Leinster after multiple phases (hes getting around the park well). His hands are good and the error count which was fairly high in the first few games this year is right down. I'm not sure what else people expect to be honest.

But....... Tony Buckley has cool sideburns that is surely what really matters!! :wink:
Someone mentioned that we need to get a bright yellow scrum cap for Ross so the world can see what/where he is at! Problem with Buckle is you cant not see the big lumbering pillock fluting about the pitch, hence we are told that he is "dynamic in the loose"......... He is not dynamic in the loose- he is not even loosely dynamic!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Broken Wing wrote:
Gerry Thornley wrote:In light of the way Munster’s scrum was handled by the Ospreys at the Liberty Stadium earlier in the day, it’s not stretching credibility to say that if Mike Ross had been playing for his native province they would have won.
Are you paying attention Deccie?
Dear Broken Wing,

Thank you for drawing my attention to the aforementioned article.
I fortunately, unlike a lot of fans, pay absolutely no attention to the media.
However to address the issue of Mike Ross, raised in the article. There are a number of factors involved.
For months now the media have been telling me to select Mike, but as I have pointed out to you, I ignore the media and this might perhaps explain why I have not picked Mike.
You will have noticed I'm on first name terms with Mike and we get on great, so anything you may have read in the media about our relationship, you should ignore.
Mike is no longer a munster man, he now plays with Leinster (you'll have noticed this I'm sure) and as such he is no longer eligable for selection for the TH position.
Mike is a great scrummaging TH, carries the ball well, tackles and performs well in the lineout functions.
You will notice from my recent national selections for the TH position, that this is not the type of TH I'm looking for.
I hope this clarifies the matter for you and other posters on this thread.
Should you wish for any further clarification, please hesitate to contact me as I am currently writing a letter of complaint to Paddy O'Brien regarding the perfectly legal
scrummaging of Adam Jones, with a view to having the rules interpretations change prior to the WC.

Yours,
Declan Kidney.
PS Enjoy the Xmas break and hopefully we'll be playing you later in the year in the HEC.
PPS That "we'll" should have read "Munster" of course.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

From Gerry Thornley's article this morning:

Nevertheless, Ireland will clearly be drawing more heavily on Leinster during the Six Nations than the other provinces combined – perhaps more so than ever given the increased credentials of Mike Ross, Leo Cullen and Seán O’Brien. After all, Ross and Cullen weren’t involved at all in the November Tests, which looks even more curious now, particularly in the case of Ross.

The point bears repeating that had the Cork prop been playing with Munster on Saturday they probably would have beaten the Ospreys, given how many points it cost them and how they again outscored the Welsh region by two tries to one and were in the game until the end.

Looks like the meeja are now firmly in the "Ross" camp. I wonder does DK have enough time to "invest" in Ross :roll:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Sometimes my conspiratorial side thinks 'why would anyone say this' i.e. Botha coming South, maybe Leinster which may put Mike Ross under pressure and he might move to Munster.

INDO today: (Hugh Farrelly... who else)

Tuesday December 21 2010

ON the day Munster confirmed Paul Warwick's departure at the end of the season, it has emerged that Ulster tight-head BJ Botha could be in line for a move south, WRITES HUGH FARRELLY.

The South African, acknowledged as one of the foremost scrummagers in the game, is out of contract -- believed to worth £270,000 (€320,000) per annum -- following the 2009/10 campaign and would be a prized signing for any of Europe's major clubs.

Sources in Ulster indicate that the province would be prepared to let the 30-year-old leave in favour of a major signing in another position and that Leinster and Munster are both in the mix for his signature.

If Botha leaves, Tom Court could switch from loose-head to tight-head prop, where he started for Ireland against New Zealand last month, with Ulster's other Irish-qualified props Declan Fitzpatrick, Paddy McAllister and Bryan Young contesting the No 1 jersey.

While that would be good news for Ireland coach Declan Kidney, if Botha were to join Leinster it would be a considerable threat to the in-form Mike Ross, who could then consider a move elsewhere, possibly even a return to Munster
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Surely not letting Stan go, are we? This would have to be Munster, who are down two THs with the old Hayes and the enigmatic Buckley. Ross to Munster? Then we'd have two NIQ props, which wouldn't suit us or Ireland.

Unless Ross wants to move to Munster (knowing that Deccie picks from the People's Republic of Southpark first and the rest later).
Aussiedub
Mullet

Post by Aussiedub »

No way do I want BJ Botha here next season......Ross took his chance coming to Leinster and I want him to stay......Next season having Healy, Cronin, Ross and HVDM, Strauss, Stan together means we will have a perfect 50/30 mins split in the front row and be able to mix and match them as well as bring through McGrath/JHW as well....

Quite possibly the Irish front row together for province and country, why would he want to leave???
After showing Munster how to win a HC final in the first attempt we will now demonstrate how to retain the HC in the following season :-)
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Aussiedub wrote:No way do I want BJ Botha here next season......Ross took his chance coming to Leinster and I want him to stay......Next season having Healy, Cronin, Ross and HVDM, Strauss, Stan together means we will have a perfect 50/30 mins split in the front row and be able to mix and match them as well as bring through McGrath/JHW as well....

Quite possibly the Irish front row together for province and country, why would he want to leave???
Totally agree. But Leinster have so many of the top players in each position now that there'll be pressure from DK/PAG/IRFU/Cork Mafia (please interchange as desired) to share the love around, I believe. Can't have the Ireland XV all coming from Leinster/Ulster now, can we?

Munster are on a major slide too, IMO. They need new bodies in from everywhere - prop, no.8, SH, OH, OC, FB.

Expect shenanigans.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

The "Keep Ross in Leinster" campaign starts now. Seriously, how ridiculous would that be that he's starting to play well so we must send him down to Munster.

Botha is a fine player but I'm enjoying seeing Ireland's best tight head wearing blue!

Aussiedub
Mullet

Post by Aussiedub »

jezzer wrote:
Aussiedub wrote:No way do I want BJ Botha here next season......Ross took his chance coming to Leinster and I want him to stay......Next season having Healy, Cronin, Ross and HVDM, Strauss, Stan together means we will have a perfect 50/30 mins split in the front row and be able to mix and match them as well as bring through McGrath/JHW as well....

Totally agree. But Leinster have so many of the top players in each position now that there'll be pressure from DK/PAG/IRFU/Cork Mafia (please interchange as desired) to share the love around, I believe. Can't have the Ireland XV all coming from Leinster/Ulster now, can we?

Munster are on a major slide too, IMO. They need new bodies in from everywhere - prop, no.8, SH, OH, OC, FB.

Expect shenanigans.
Well we can give them Trevor Hogan, Stephen Keogh, and they already getting Keatley and they have Jones/Ronan - I suppose we could throw in D Kearney as well...
After showing Munster how to win a HC final in the first attempt we will now demonstrate how to retain the HC in the following season :-)