Mike Ross Appreciation Thread!

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Mike Ross Appreciation Thread!

Post by hugonaut »

Blue not red blood wrote:Heres one for the scrum nerds.

watching Bent last night very closely. He just doesnt have the same physique as other tight heads. His is built more like Fionn Carr ie skinny waist and and big arms. Doesnt appear to have any weight around midrift ?

Could this be a reason why he is not able to hold up scrum.

Also, did we switch second rows during the game at scrums?

Over to you scrum nerds!!!
Scrummaging demands are different in the NH and the SH. In the SH [especially in NZ and Aus], it's primarily used as a way of restarting the game, not as a massive physical contest and device for winning penalties. I thought that Bent's initial hits were often okay, but the longer the scrum went on, the more trouble he got in [with regards to the profile of his back and legs]. WP Nel, who was a pretty good prop at Super Rugby level, gave an interesting interview on his problems at scrum-time since he has arrived in Edinburgh: http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/15642.php

"At Edinburgh, I have had to concentrate on my lower body and when I arrived I was possibly a bit underweight compared to others, but I love to score tries," he told The Scotsman. "When I arrived I did find there were more scrums and more set phases and stuff. Your body must get used to that, as it is another mindset from running around the field. With half the season gone, I feel I am playing as well as I have ever done, helped by spending a lot of time in the gym. Back in South Africa, my gym work was more geared to an all-round programme."

Writing somebody off after half a dozen games is premature at any level. It will be interesting to see how he progresses over the rest of the season. He's Irish-qualified – he may as well be from Dundalk or Wexford, it's not as though he's taking up an NIQ spot. Mike Ross has signed up for another two years, is in good form and didn't really start playing professionally until he was 25/26 ... his next contract takes him up to 35 which, when you started as late as he did and in the position he plays, is getting on, not ancient.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Donny B. wrote:In fairness he's not the only one, Toland was spouting shite about Archer too in his column a week back. They all seem to be sipping the Archer cool-aid over there!
Well FFS will you stop trying to enlighten them. Leave them to it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
Donny B. wrote:In fairness he's not the only one, Toland was spouting shite about Archer too in his column a week back. They all seem to be sipping the Archer cool-aid over there!
Archer has made progress this season. He's coming from a low base, but he has made progress. Fair's fair.

What is disappointing to read in Thornley and Toland's columns is that they seemingly disregard the opposition he has faced – for all his progress this season, he has played a grand total of three minutes of HEC rugby this season, coming off the bench for Botha in the 77th minute against Saracens in Vicarage Road.

His seven starts this season have come against Zebre, Cardiff [x2], Scarlets, Connacht, Ulster [a largely third string Ulster pack, whose front five was Black/Herring/Macklin/Stevenson/McComb] and the Ospreys. Bar the Ospreys – in a game that Munster lost 30-15 – none of those scrums are any good by HEC standard; none of them are even that good by Pro12 standards.

This isn't picking on the player – you'd want to have no clue about rugby not to acknowledge it as a pretty fair appraisal. More to the point, Archer hasn't done anything that Jamie Hagan hasn't done for the last four seasons. I'm not a particular Hagan fan, but he has had his good days in the Pro12 as well as poor days, and he has certainly had more good days in the Pro12 with both Connacht and Leinster than Archer has had for Munster.
What's happened to Toland lately, he seems to have donned the red jersey a few times recently? Ignoring my own opinion of him he was held in very high esteem by most posters, well certainly much higher than your average Cordite manufacturer.
Now, suddenly all of a sudden he's shown his true colours a couple of times. Is he planning a career change I wonder?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

:wink:
blockhead wrote:Agenda?
What would that agenda be? There's no hiding place at TH. If Archer is as bad as the scrum experts on here think (and I'm not a scrum expert), (or an expert at anything to be honest) , then he will be quickly found out and so his cheerleaders will be found out too.
Is the agenda to get him an int contract so as to help the Munster branch save some desperately needed cash?
That's an excellent piece of speculation - So you are an expert on something after all. :wink:
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Felt the need to dig out this thread again after Mike's try against Wasps :D

Jones and Cole are still ahead of him for the Lions but I'd love Mike to get the call-up for the third tighthead slot.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

For selfish Leinster reasons I'd love him to get the Summer off. If he doesn't make the Lions he shouldn't be going to North America with the Irish squad.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

cormac wrote:For selfish Leinster reasons I'd love him to get the Summer off. If he doesn't make the Lions he shouldn't be going to North America with the Irish squad.
Huge cheer from the Leinster section when we realised Mike had grounded the ball :green clap: :green clap: :green clap:

Completely agree with you btw, If Mike doesn't travel with the Lions I'd prefer him to stay at home this Summer.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Cianostays wrote:
cormac wrote:For selfish Leinster reasons I'd love him to get the Summer off. If he doesn't make the Lions he shouldn't be going to North America with the Irish squad.
Huge cheer from the Leinster section when we realised Mike had grounded the ball :green clap: :green clap: :green clap:

Completely agree with you btw, If Mike doesn't travel with the Lions I'd prefer him to stay at home this Summer.
That would be an interesting call. The trend within IRFU circles has been to flog central players when there are international games. A tour to NA is the one time that doesn't happen.

As interim coach Kiss will have some conflicts, he'll want to set himself apart from Kidney—more precisely from Kidney's flaws. He'll also know that he needs to create an impression if he wants to have a chance at retaining the job, or to set himself up for work elsewhere.

The tighthead situation is still awkward though. Ross is way out in front, Fitzpatrick might be injured, Hagan has only gone and started to hit form as he's leaving Ireland (& shouldn't he now be shunned!). Signally a change in policy by picking Hagan or Andress (or even Moore) has its attractions, but also will be deeply unpopular in some circles, especially in relation to the fact that Sexton just left.

There are 2 big calls for the summer tour: defer/confront on tighthead and corporate knowledge/new style of play in the backs (& link work). The 2nd decision was made easier yesterday with Ulster out of the HC.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I think we'll see Hagan or Bent go to North America. Ross shouldn't go, give the bloke a holiday and a full preseason.

If the Kidney pecking order was still in place we'd probably see Archer go.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Lets not forget that Foley, Smal and Kiss are still involved. Archer will probably go to North America and Bent/Hagan will be off to the Wolfhounds tour.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

AdamK wrote:Lets not forget that Foley, Smal and Kiss are still involved. Archer will probably go to North America and Bent/Hagan will be off to the Wolfhounds tour.
Wait there's a wolfhounds tour as well this year?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

TerenureJim wrote:I think we'll see Hagan or Bent go to North America. Ross shouldn't go, give the bloke a holiday and a full preseason.

If the Kidney pecking order was still in place we'd probably see Archer go.
A lot depends on how the Rabo finals are seen and how they pan out. We need 2 tightheads anyway. Hagan is good because he's one of the easiest new caps, if politics isn't a factor. But if politics isn't a factor then there'll never be a better time to phone Andress.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

TerenureJim wrote:
AdamK wrote:Lets not forget that Foley, Smal and Kiss are still involved. Archer will probably go to North America and Bent/Hagan will be off to the Wolfhounds tour.
Yep, a tournament in Georgia.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

TerenureJim wrote:
A tournament in Georgia with South Africa A Georgia and Uruguay.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

naraic wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
A tournament in Georgia with South Africa A Georgia and Uruguay.
that snuck in under the radar, will be nearly all academy players between Lions, America, injuries and rests
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Also, anyone have a link to that 'I Believe in Mike Ross' pic that DC did?
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

AdamK wrote:Mike Ross for try of the year!

http://www.herald.ie/sport/rugby/vote-f ... 03371.html
I'm a big fan of Mike Ross, but I'd forgotten how good that Goodman try was.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

TheBear wrote:
AdamK wrote:Mike Ross for try of the year!

http://www.herald.ie/sport/rugby/vote-f ... 03371.html
I'm a big fan of Mike Ross, but I'd forgotten how good that Goodman try was.
Ditto, had to go with Goodman's effort in the end.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

That's completely beside the point. :D Mike Ross getting the try of the year would be the biggest inside joke ever. It'd be hilarious. His one and only gets try of the year....