Piano shifters

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Piano shifters

Post by jezzer »

Coaching staff have had a look at just about every prop in the province over the past few months, which can only be a good thing. Just thought I'd list the main guys in the picture (mixture of Senior squad, As, u21s, academy) and open the floor to anyone whose got an opinion on who's a genuine contender and who's not. Weights added where available to make the thread look scientific when it's clearly not.

Corrigan: 112kg (1 good season left?)
Green: 116kg (1 season left on contract)
Byrne: 106kg
McCormack: ?
Lyne: 118kg
Wickham: 108kg
Sweeney: ?
Doyle: 107kg
Jones: 111kg
Duffy: ?

Lot of AIL players not listed here, so feel free to chip in if a realistic option. For me, I'm disappointed Tigger Lyne hasn't seen senior gametime. He's great in the loose (couple of tries for the As), decent if not spectacular scrummager and showed last season he can compete at this level. McCormack is knocking on the door and of the others I've heard good things of Sweeney in particular, Doyle and Jones.

Emmet is a great servant to the club, but realistically he's not a first choice starter - is he holding up progress of guys in the queue? Wickham made it on the senior panel, but mustn't be impressing as we've seen other guys get chances over his head.

No monsters in there, and i hear on the grapevine there's a lot of pressure on the fringe guys at 105-110kg to bulk up if they want to make the step.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Ronnie McCormack - 112 kg (17 st 6 lb) according to ERC
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Post by Justtoby »

I don't think Doran-Jones is going to make it. In the u21 games against Italy and Wales his side of the scrum has been destroyed.

I hope schools players like Cian Healy and Ruaidhri Murphy can make an impact. I seem to remember a guy in Templeogue a couple of years ago (Paul Collins I think) who looked a very talented player. Any idea what he's doing?
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

How about ........

Royce Burke-Flynn - the man-child prop for St. Michaels last year. Surely with a name like that he deserves at least a development contract.
Or else we should simply sign Rob Henderson - he's heavy enough to be a prop. :lol: