A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

epaddy
Shane Horgan

100 Not out

Post by epaddy »

[img]
Denis Hickie

Denis Hickie will make his 100th Leinster appearance when he lines up on the left wing for Sunday’s Celtic League clash with Connacht at Donnybrook (KO: 5.15pm).

The British and Irish Lion will join three current colleagues in achieving the feat (Reggie Corrigan, Brian O’Meara and Girvan Dempsey) and becomes the sixth Leinster player to reach the milestone after Shane Byrne and Victor Costello.

Hickie will line in a strong back-line that includes Girvan Dempsey, Kieran Lewis, Rob Kearney and Felipe Contepomi who captains the side.

In the pack, Cameron Jowitt returns from injury and partners Bryce Williams in the second row with Bank of Scotland (Ireland) Leinster player of the month Keith Gleeson forming a powerful back-row alongside Eric Miller and Jamie Heaslip.

Tickets are on sale now and are priced as follows: Open Stand (Adult) €20, Terrace (Adult) €15, Terrace (Schoolboy/girl) €5

Outlets: Spar (Donnybrook), Leinster Rugby Store, Elvery's (Dawson St. & Suffolk St.), Centra (Cornelscourt)

Denis Hickie in action v Biarritz

Reflecting on his nine-year career for the Blues, Hickie said: “Sunday will be a very proud day for me. I’ve enjoyed a lot of good times with Leinster. There have been a lot of changes in rugby since I made my debut back in ’96. The only thing that I remember from my debut in Genoa was that it was a pre-season tour and was the last of the good old amateur trips under Ciaran Callan, Paul Dean and Jim Glennon as Manager.

“I was 19 at the time and I just remember playing alongside stalwarts of Leinster rugby such as Chris Pim and Alain Rolland. At the time I never thought that I would make 100 appearances. Looking back I remember a high-scoring defeat to Munster in Donnybrook. 34-31 I think it was. That was a brilliant game to be a part of because the old-fashioned Interpro series had so much meat to them; partly because the games were seen as unofficial ‘Trial’ games for Ireland and because there wasn’t the same degree of familiarity as there is now.

“In the early years of the European Cup we travelled to places like Pau and nobody would have known who they were never mind where it was! Irish teams were competitive in Europe but not as highly respected as they are now.

“The away win in Montferrand was memorable because it was the first time that we won in France. It was the same level of achievement when we also won in Northampton. To be honest though, once we actually got over the challenge of beating sides away from home by being more competitive did the whole experience become more enjoyable.

“I have played in Toulouse on two occasions – under Mike Ruddock and Matt Williams and, believe me, it will be as tough a test as it is building up to be. We’re all really looking forward to it, but we know that there’s a lot of rugby left to be played before we can focus our attentions on that game.

“Sunday’s game will be another tough test. Connacht are always difficult opponents. I would have played against the likes of Eric Elwood, Nigel Carolan and Merv’ Murphy over the years so I know only too well the proud traditions of Connacht. It’s vital that we get the win and put in a strong performance.

“I’ve been very fortunate to work under a lot of great coaches and managers like Jim Glennon and Ken Ging who were always hugely supportive of me. On a personal level, reaching the 100-cap achievement means a lot. Only Shane (Byrne) and Victor (Costello) out of the six who have reached the milestone previously started their careers before me. So it’s nice to a part of that group. I’ve always been proud to be a Leinster player because there’s a proud rugby tradition in my family.”

Denis Hickie v Treviso

DENIS ANTHONY HICKIE...
was 30 years old on 13 / 02 / 2006

CAREER DETAILS TO DATE , compiled by Des Daly (Irish Rugby Statistician)

A. IRELAND

• made his debut, aged 20y 11m, for Ireland on the right wing in Cardiff ( Feb. 1997, Ireland won 26-25 ) and scored one of the
three visiting tries that afternoon.
• 51 caps ( no replacement caps ); has played 41 times on the left wing and ten times on the right ; has scored 25 tries in the
green jersey ( second highest Ireland try scorer ever )
• eclipsed Brian O’Driscoll’s all-time tries for Ireland ( 18 ) record at Thomond Park against Italy ( Aug. 2003) and held this record
for seven Ireland matches.
• jointly holds the record for most tries ( four ) scored in an Ireland capped game with Brian Robinson and Keith Wood.
• against Namibia ( RWC 2003 ), won his 42 nd Ireland cap and became Ireland’s most capped wing beating Keith Crossan’s record.
• played in one RWC ( 2003 ) and travelled on one B & I Lions tour ( 2005 to New Zealand, five games ) .
• against France last season at Lansdowne Road became Ireland’s 21st 50-capper.

Denis Hickie in action for Ireland v England

B. LEINSTER

• first played for Leinster at senior level in Genoa, Italy ( Sept. 1996 ) and scored two tries on his debut.
• captained Leinster in three games early in the 1999 / 2K season and has played for the province during nine seasons.
• following Shane Byrne, Victor Costello, Reggie Corrigan, Brian O’Meara and Girvan Dempsey, will next Sunday become the
sixth Leinster player to be capped 100 times by the province.
• has scored 50 tries for Leinster in capped games……….the most tries by an individual in the history of the Irish provincial game.
• has scored 17 Heineken Cup tries ( 44 games ) and is the top try scorer ( 21 touchdowns ) in the Celtic League.
• was voted Leinster Player of the Year at the end of the 2001 / 02 season.
• on the Leinster team which won the Celtic League and Interprovincial Championship in 2001 / 02 and played in the 2002 / 03
Heineken Cup semi-final v Perpignan ; all being well, will make his fourth Heineken Cup quarter-final appearance against
Toulouse on April 1st.

What a player and a great servant for Leinster. Well done Dennis Hickie
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Well done Father Jack, this is right up there with the honour of doing the Wavin Pipes ad.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Leinster4life
Beginner

Post by Leinster4life »

He's a brilliant player who always does his best for his team. He deserves better from the international coach and is possibly Irelands best ever winger
WELL DONE DENIS!
Felipe Contepomi-the real puma king
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Leinster4life wrote:He's a brilliant player who always does his best for his team. He deserves better from the international coach and is possibly Irelands best ever winger
WELL DONE DENIS!
He is no where near his best at the moment and do not deserve to be in the 6n squad
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Ligind!!!
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Leinster4life wrote:He's a brilliant player who always does his best for his team. He deserves better from the international coach and is possibly Irelands best ever winger
WELL DONE DENIS!
Very good player. Irelands best ever winger though is definitely that Simon Goeghan chap.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

He was pretty stop/start on Sunday. Though the quality of ball coming his way was very poor. Too often he had to check back to take the ball and never really got a good run at Connaught......
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Imperial Mongoonybus
Knowledgeable

Post by Imperial Mongoonybus »

What about a whip a round to buy himself and Girvo a pair of crown toppers? :wink:
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Imperial Mongoonybus wrote:What about a whip a round to buy himself and Girvo a pair of crown toppers? :wink:
I reckon the Swerve and Hicks should just cut the mops. They'll be getting like Bobby Charlton and the "comb-over" soon!
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

Colm wrote:
Imperial Mongoonybus wrote:What about a whip a round to buy himself and Girvo a pair of crown toppers? :wink:
I reckon the Swerve and Hicks should just cut the mops. They'll be getting like Bobby Charlton and the "comb-over" soon!
Definately time to accept reality and shave the mops off. Maybe they could talk the rest of the squad into it too. It would be one way of sorting out Jowitts :mullet 4:
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

glic wrote: Definately time to accept reality and shave the mops off. Maybe they could talk the rest of the squad into it too. It would be one way of sorting out Jowitts :mullet 4:
It'll be more AERO-DYNAMIC :lol:
Leinster Stalker's Wife
Beginner

Post by Leinster Stalker's Wife »

Darce wrote:Ligind!!!
I SECOND THAT - WELL I WOULD WOULDN'T I!! AS I AM A HICKIE GROUPIE!!
Aoife "Stalker's Wife" Martin