A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Thanks for linking the article, I actually looked but couldn't find it...yet another sad forum moment for me this week :lol:

Still struggling to see anything bad in this...the middle paragraph being the crucial one.

"Despite being in pain, O’Brien reacts instantly, pushing himself up off the turf and re-joining the Irish defensive line, with O’Mahony ordering him into position.

It’s a tiny moment in a game full of them and this kind of communication to team-mates when defending is not new, but O’Mahony is the kind of character who constantly, constantly demands work rate.

There are other similar personalities in this Ireland team, of course, and O’Brien is one of those who is always audible on the ref mic, encouraging and demanding, but O’Mahony has the force of will that others rarely fail to respond to."
You are Murray Kinsella and I calim mhy 5 gifs of sh!t I didn't see on first viewing!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

suisse wrote:Leadership. We get it. Do any of these guys actually review POM's performances? Following his non performance against Leinster, according to ESPN, POM carried 8 times versus Castres and made 5 meters. These are regular figures for him. He has to be one of the least effective ball carrying 6s on a major European team. No stolen lineouts. 7 tackles made, TOD and Stander with 13 and 14 respectively. What did POM do in that game or the previous game not only warrants selection for Ireland, but makes him immune to being dropped?
+1, +1.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

suisse wrote:Leadership. We get it. Do any of these guys actually review POM's performances? Following his non performance against Leinster, according to ESPN, POM carried 8 times versus Castres and made 5 meters. These are regular figures for him. He has to be one of the least effective ball carrying 6s on a major European team. No stolen lineouts. 7 tackles made, TOD and Stander with 13 and 14 respectively. What did POM do in that game or the previous game not only warrants selection for Ireland, but makes him immune to being dropped?
Churchill was a great leader, you wouldn't necessarily want him in the trenches with you... Teddy Roosevelt on the other hand. POM ain't Teddy.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

RoboProp wrote:
Churchill was a great leader, you wouldn't necessarily want him in the trenches with you... Teddy Roosevelt on the other hand. POM ain't Teddy.
Well we can't all be rough riders, bully.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Dunno, Churchill seems like my kind of guy in a war: he'd know where the brandy was and the fighting wasn't.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Churchill's political career was built on his heroics inthe Beor war, his 4th war by the age of 25.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Was Churchill not a decent fighter before he discovered brandy, politics, and his appetite?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

I thought he spent most of the Boer war in a POW camp before escaping back to Blighty.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

And he spent most of his campaigns as an observer, a journalist, nowhere near battle, or participating in the routine massacre of inferior forces. Including the Boer war where he was a journalist. He was a master at political backstabbing, and self-advancement though. Widely derided through most of his career as an "adventurer". Not a compliment at the time.

As an aside I love his letters to Mussolini - right wing intellectuals in Europe at the time pretty much to a man thought he was great but Churchill's letters are positively moist...

You'd do well to stand behind Churchill, in life or in war. There's a reason Boris Johnson loves him and models himself (and his public image) on him. And it's not because he's an intellectual or a hero.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Churchill is George Hook's hero so that's enough to condemn him for me

That and wanting to occupy Ireland during WW2
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

simonokeeffe wrote:Churchill is George Hook's hero so that's enough to condemn him for me

That and wanting to occupy Ireland during WW2
I will admit that comparing POM to Churchill was intended to raise the dander of any possible Munster fans on the forum for the reasons you listed. Cuz deep down they're all Anglophiles in Cork :lol:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

fourthirtythree wrote:And he spent most of his campaigns as an observer, a journalist, nowhere near battle, or participating in the routine massacre of inferior forces. Including the Boer war where he was a journalist. He was a master at political backstabbing, and self-advancement though. Widely derided through most of his career as an "adventurer". Not a compliment at the time.

As an aside I love his letters to Mussolini - right wing intellectuals in Europe at the time pretty much to a man thought he was great but Churchill's letters are positively moist...

You'd do well to stand behind Churchill, in life or in war. There's a reason Boris Johnson loves him and models himself (and his public image) on him. And it's not because he's an intellectual or a hero.
He's also the Neocons' Deity on High - for exactly the same reasons: mission civilisatrice etc. Remember the storm in a teacup, when they accused Obama of removing the Churchill bust W. had installed in the Oval Office!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The recent film "Churchill" suggests that the WW2 military, on both sides of the Atlantic, had him sussed.
Stick to the speech writing Winston and leave the war (fighting etc) to us.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:The recent film "Churchill" suggests that the WW2 military, on both sides of the Atlantic, had him sussed.
The not so recent film oldschool is hilarious, i assume you're broken?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:The recent film "Churchill" suggests that the WW2 military, on both sides of the Atlantic, had him sussed.
I know we’re essentially talking in shorthand here, but Churchill was a more complex personality than that simplistic account.

He fought in the trenches as a Brigadier in WW1 following the disastrous Dardanelles campaign- and also fought in Afghanistan at the very start of his military career. He wasn’t always wrong on his military choices either. The most controversial but grimy correct in as to withdraw the bulk of the RAF from the Battle of France to save them for the upcoming one for Britain. A lot of bitterness about that for decades afterwards. But he was proved right. Of course then we have the “sideshows” of Norway and Italy; both supported/ promoted by him, both probably wasteful distractions of troops and materiel.

The decisions of the Americans and the Soviets were complex and too. Churchill and Britain rapidly became the junior partner to Roosevelt and Stalin. But they did value his role. The common summary is that in the contribution to beat Germany; American have the money, Russia the men- and Britain the ‘time’. Churchill was the man who gave that time. He’s certainly not discredited in his WW2 contribution.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

brigadiers fight in the trenches the same way the Nigels play rugby
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:brigadiers fight in the trenches the same way the Nigels play rugby
Usually and rightly so: you don’t want the inconvenience of losing top brass in a standard fire fight.

But Churchill was reportedly very active/ stupid in his eagerness for personal battle. His personal bravery was never doubted; his judgement though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

artaneboy wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:brigadiers fight in the trenches the same way the Nigels play rugby
Usually and rightly so: you don’t want the inconvenience of losing top brass in a standard fire fight.

But Churchill was reportedly very active/ stupid in his eagerness for personal battle. His personal bravery was never doubted; his judgement though....

He got my great grandad shot in the backside
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

He got my great grandad shot in the backside
Well... there's no answer to that! :o
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

He was aiming for the head though.
Brandy. Lots of brandy.