A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by riocard911 »

One troubling aspect, which deserves highlighting, is that pain killer abuse can lead to kidney failure and is one of the leading causes of people ending up on dialysis machines and needing an organ transplant.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

riocard911 wrote:One troubling aspect, which deserves highlighting, is that pain killer abuse can lead to kidney failure and is one of the leading causes of people ending up on dialysis machines and needing an organ transplant.
Lewis Moody claimed it gave him ulcerative colitis. Given what Ibuprofen does to my innards, I wouldn't be surprised. Not dissimilar to a rake of Guinness though, to be fair.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sorry, wasn't disagreeing with you CE, it was with the others, only saw your post when I posted.

I've only heard Kimmage talking about this since he mentioned the French player a couple of years ago, don't remember it before then. Also I reckon his motives are pure, I think he genuinely believes in what he's saying/doing, don't think it's just for publicity.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

If Kimmage comes off as a bit bitter and swivel eyed well that's the result of being the victim of a vindictive campaign by a rich and powerful guy abusing those attributes. You may find his piety a bit sick making on the back of that but you can either be defeated or double down. He chose the latter. As it happens he was right also.

When I read that I was thinking of the state of O'Driscoll's liver. Popping cocodamol like sweeties is really not a good way to be going. So if his team doctor was handing them out on a regular, ongoing basis, he was doing something which could expose a club to litigation. It's not meant to be used like that.

If you get a prescription for difene etc. they usually couple it with losec or something to counter the stomach issues. But yeah, those things (and all painkillers, even aspirin) are way harsh on the stomach I believe.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

fourthirtythree wrote:If Kimmage comes off as a bit bitter and swivel eyed well that's the result of being the victim of a vindictive campaign by a rich and powerful guy abusing those attributes. You may find his piety a bit sick making on the back of that but you can either be defeated or double down. He chose the latter. As it happens he was right also.

When I read that I was thinking of the state of O'Driscoll's liver. Popping cocodamol like sweeties is really not a good way to be going. So if his team doctor was handing them out on a regular, ongoing basis, he was doing something which could expose a club to litigation. It's not meant to be used like that.

If you get a prescription for difene etc. they usually couple it with losec or something to counter the stomach issues. But yeah, those things (and all painkillers, even aspirin) are way harsh on the stomach I believe.
After a surgery of mine I was on Difene and also some Oxy for pain. The Oxy absolutely played havoc on my appetite but they refused to give me any Difene until I'd eaten something. Which was a very arduous task ha
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:If Kimmage comes off as a bit bitter and swivel eyed well that's the result of being the victim of a vindictive campaign by a rich and powerful guy abusing those attributes. You may find his piety a bit sick making on the back of that but you can either be defeated or double down. He chose the latter. As it happens he was right also.
I used to think along those lines but I read Rough Ride recently and it changed my mind, think that's just the way he is. He just doesn't seem to get on with anyone and is always itching for a fight. One story that really stood out for me was when he told his wife that he had done amphetamines and she offered support...and he flipped out that she didn't admonish him and stormed out of the house.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

riocard911 wrote:One troubling aspect, which deserves highlighting, is that pain killer abuse can lead to kidney failure and is one of the leading causes of people ending up on dialysis machines and needing an organ transplant.
I've taken diphene 3 times, first time aged 15 in hospital for a neck injury and omg I will never forget the stomach pain. 2nd time resulted in me going on a pancreas transplant list, the 3rd a 2 week stint in ICU. That stuff is so dangerous (ill accept that i have the digestive system of a zygote and alcohol may have contributed to the 2nd occassion) but it must have lasting effects to be taking on the regular.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Peg Leg wrote:
I've taken diphene 3 times, first time aged 15 in hospital for a neck injury and omg I will never forget the stomach pain. 2nd time resulted in me going on a pancreas transplant list, the 3rd a 2 week stint in ICU. That stuff is so dangerous (ill accept that i have the digestive system of a zygote and alcohol may have contributed to the 2nd occassion) but it must have lasting effects to be taking on the regular.
fair enough but I credit difene with getting me through a severe, 2-week ear infection and two hemorrhoid surgeries (yuck). Allowed me to sleep during weeks-long periods where I wouldn't have been otherwise able to. No side effects at all despite pretty heavy medium-term use.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Is Commiskey part of the IT policy to keep their Munster readers happy? He certainly is a pain the a#* for this Leinster reader. His piece on Leo is a history re-write of the transition from the MO'C era, whilst his piece on today's game is thrown together with a stupid headline. A win away in the first leg of a double-header is all Leinster will be thinking about. We can talk about winning BPs when Bath and Toulouse come to visit us.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Cummiskey's report on the game is, as ever, incomprehensible. I assume he got the gig so Gerry can go south and warble about the pashun.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

RTE Radio 1 & Off the Ball Am covered the home win for Munster this morning at great length with no more than a comment or two on the away wins for Leinster & Ulster - when will they learn!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

yellabelly1961 wrote:RTE Radio 1 & Off the Ball Am covered the home win for Munster this morning at great length with no more than a comment or two on the away wins for Leinster & Ulster - when will they learn!!!
Surely that's down to Munster's game being on Sun and ours and Ulsters being on Sat & Fri though?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote:
Lewis Moody claimed it gave him ulcerative colitis. Given what Ibuprofen does to my innards, I wouldn't be surprised. Not dissimilar to a rake of Guinness though, to be fair.
Painkillers are a funny one.
My body reacts better to Ibuprofen than paracetamol but I can take both.
Diphene I only use the creams, wouldn't take it internally.
In general I avoid paint killers like the plague.
Have tried herbal remedies, mainly teas with ginger and turmeric.
Rosemary tea has both antiseptic and antiinflammatory properties it's great for a sore throat or mouth ulcers and zits(just dab it on), dries them out and heal quickly.
You can make your own oil rub with olive oil and a few herbs like rosemary and lavander (nettles even).
Put the stuff into a bottle for about six weeks.
You get a great antiinflammatory rub.
Word of caution, there is a bit of fermentation going on so you need to open the bottle a few times to release the build-up of pressure unless you use a special wine makers cork.
Have fun.
I reckon olive oil on its own is worth a try tbh.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hippo wrote:Cummiskey's report on the game is, as ever, incomprehensible. I assume he got the gig so Gerry can go south and warble about the pashun.
Just got around to reading his preview.

"The surgeon's scalpel returns from his brief mid season sojourn in renewed form: the WPOTY"....what? :lol:
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
I only use the creams, wouldn't take it internally.
Rosemary tea has both antiseptic and antiinflammatory properties it's great for a sore throat or mouth ulcers and zits(just dab it on), dries them out and heal quickly.
You can make your own oil rub with olive oil and a few herbs like rosemary and lavander (nettles even).
Word of caution, there is a bit of fermentation going on so you need to open the bottle a few times to release the build-up of pressure unless you use a special wine makers cork.
Have fun.
Jaysus lads- I’m itching just reading some of this stuff!

I’ve never really had too much need for Ibuprofen, Diphene or even (maybe I shouldn’t use that word) for paracetamol. Just been lucky generally.

But as my joints are starting to creak with the effects of age and abuse, I’ll be looking at all that stuff with a more jaundiced eye.

Scary...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Have fun.

I’ve never really had too much need for Ibuprofen, Diphene or even (maybe I shouldn’t use that word) for paracetamol. Just been lucky generally.

But as my joints are starting to creak with the effects of age and abuse, I’ll be looking at all that stuff with a more jaundiced eye.

Scary...

Jaundice? You'll be needing the phenobarbital.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

A whiff of Cordite

Post by artaneboy »

Peg Leg wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Painkillers are a funny one.
Have fun.

Scary...

Jaundice? You'll be needing the phenobarbital.
;-)

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

I've had a wide range of painkillers when I had my ACL reconstruction. Only thing which had an impact on my gut was morphine - and that just clogged me up. People react differently to these things. Hopefully those in charge of prescribing these drugs take the side effects into account.
Anyone But New Zealand
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Took full strength meloxicam and worked my way up to 2 times the limit for Tramadol over 2 years , main problem was 2 broken fingers I didn't realise I had broken and took 2 months to get off the Tramadol after I didn't need it after reconstructive surgery of a wrist. Other side effect was 4 hours max sleep a night and regularly ran for up to 48 hours without sleep at all.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Does anyone else miss the DVDs that Leinster used to bring out at the end of the year. The one after 2013 was particularly good iirc. I'd love some sort of mini documentary talking to the players and showing the highlights of last season. A lot of the games are hard to get online.