A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Lets all just agree Joe Brolly is a tool

@LRIP theres probably plenty of rugby people that wouldnt believe their clubs players do drugs

@wjxford Im saying they sure have in general and on PEDs

On a general note its always tricky comparing the the 2 as ones pro and one isnt, is the closest comparison AIL to intercounty etc

This ones easy to google but BBC Wales have reported loads of cases of club rugby players popping for PEDs. Thats the level in rugby where the drugs of both kinds are by far the most likely to be
Can you give even one example of a GAA journo having a pop at rugby over recreational drug usage?

(You keep interchanging PEDs and recreational drugs btw, very different things.)
I cant
Apologies if this has gotten confusing or if Ive contradicted myself
think the confusion was caused by me complaining about GAA media types criticising over Grobbler when Ive seen GAA teams do dodgy stuff
when I said "you wouldnt get that in a the GAA" I meant that as a general thing and its a bit of an attitude that some people have to a wide range of things
Ive never heard a pundit say there no GAA people doing drugs
Theres lots of times GAA pundits have weighed in on rugby (and you dont generally get the reverse) which was my original original point eg steroids, residency etc
Know PEDs and coke are very different

If I could row this back 20 posts...some GAA media weigh in on rugby things/stories in rugby and act like they and they sport's Sh!t dont stink even though it do same as rest of us
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Belatedly, Simon began to dig up.

:wink: :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Lets all just agree Joe Brolly is a tool

@LRIP theres probably plenty of rugby people that wouldnt believe their clubs players do drugs

@wjxford Im saying they sure have in general and on PEDs

On a general note its always tricky comparing the the 2 as ones pro and one isnt, is the closest comparison AIL to intercounty etc

This ones easy to google but BBC Wales have reported loads of cases of club rugby players popping for PEDs. Thats the level in rugby where the drugs of both kinds are by far the most likely to be
Can you give even one example of a GAA journo having a pop at rugby over recreational drug usage?

(You keep interchanging PEDs and recreational drugs btw, very different things.)
I cant
Apologies if this has gotten confusing or if Ive contradicted myself
think the confusion was caused by me complaining about GAA media types criticising over Grobbler when Ive seen GAA teams do dodgy stuff
when I said "you wouldnt get that in a the GAA" I meant that as a general thing and its a bit of an attitude that some people have to a wide range of things
Ive never heard a pundit say there no GAA people doing drugs
Theres lots of times GAA pundits have weighed in on rugby (and you dont generally get the reverse) which was my original original point eg steroids, residency etc
Know PEDs and coke are very different

If I could row this back 20 posts...some GAA media weigh in on rugby things/stories in rugby and act like they and they sport's Sh!t dont stink even though it do same as rest of us
The 'you wouldn't get that in the GAA' attitude certainly exists.

As does the 'you wouldn't get that in rugby' attitude. (You even have referees saying things to that effect to players in game).

Both are ridiculous and narrow minded.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Thats fair enough. The highest profile teams/players are probably reasonably squeeky. And theres a lot of drugs done by guys in their 20s anyway so it mighnt be worse than general societal levels. Maybe its somewhere between a huge problem and non existant

But the general hand wringingness/holier than thou attitude/you wouldnt get x in the GAA attitude from journalists/pundits is what gets me

Ive seen intercounty teams doing things you wouldnt believe, outside of a party on Freddie Mercury's yacht in Ibiza

Any examples of this Simon? I haven't seen any of that when it comes to recreational or performance enhancing drugs.

I also don't believe that playing one sport means you'll do more recreational drugs, or that one Irish sport has a particular problem in that area. If anything it's a societal issue. What shape ball you play with isn't the determining factor.
Personally, went on a stag to Prague a few years ago and lads from a GAA team were throwing bags of dirt around like it was nothing. Small sample size.

I'd say the lads in ballyragget had more than beer too.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

@Wexfjord definitely

To change subject completely, DOC annoying anyone else as a commentator?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Wrt rugby and recreational drugs. Had a conversation with a lady who trains minis and he reckoned it's a big problem with the seniors that they need to crack down on themselves. No idea how widespread it is but he said it was a problem at his club. Didn't like senior players effectively introducing younger lads to it.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Recreational drugs are a huge problem in society.

Anyone who regularly goes out in any major town in Ireland and isn't blind will know it's utterly rampant.
Anyone who goes to a festival will see it.

That's not confined to sporting clubs or certainly to one sport.

That's my point.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Is this still a thread to comment on the media?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

simonokeeffe wrote:@Wexfjord definitely

He's fine on Off the Ball (even though it annoys me he even says that the Premiership is better than Pro14 and they don't care about Europe etc) but he's not suited to commentary
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:Is this still a thread to comment on the media?
No no, that's in the other thread, "A line of Cordite"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Is this still a thread to comment on the media?
No no, that's in the other thread, "A line of Cordite"
Are you alleging that media types engage in the use of illicit substances? The shame.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

simonokeeffe wrote: To change subject completely, DOC annoying anyone else as a commentator?
Yep, he's abysmal
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruaidhri O'Connor
"For more than 10 days leading up to yesterday's win over Castres, the Munster squad have found themselves at the heart of a media storm not of their making."
? Wasn't it the same Ruaidhri who "broke" this story last week? Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to recall him getting praised on OTB for his good work on this,
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:@Wexfjord definitely

I don't think his vocal style suits commentating. He has pretty interesting stuff to say but when you're commentating you have be able to say those things in a short an snappy way which he can't
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

DOC does seem insightful but yeah hes not exactly flowy. I suspect BT were hoping he'd add to their nascent banter

Used to like ROCs stuff, aside from the searing vendetta against Heaslip, and he was great for engaging people and answering questions on twitter, but bow it seems like he has a grudge against Leo and the backroom staff in general and is really going full bore nativist

Ewan McKenna had a go at me in a thread he wasnt even tagged in for suggesting Indo had an editorial line to go after the residency qualified issue/players

ROCs answer to why he didnt do anything on Grobbler when he signed was the Lions. Thats fair enough but doesnt account for intervening period
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I think it does to be fair. I watch a lot of rugby, read all the rugby columns, particpate in web 2.0 and social media and I'd pretty much forgotten all about him until he was picked in the A game
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

When I was a youth (give over with the snickering).
Smoking incense was the precursor to smoking hash.
Never tried either.
Alcohol is a drug.
You get the high, do stupid stuff (sometimes) then the downer. Not particular addictive for most people.
Are recreational drugs any different?
What are drugs of choice in fashion at present?
Are they all addictive?

Performance enhancing drugs next.
Is there a high and low?
What are drugs in fashion?
Are they all addictive?

Bear in mind, if you are thinking of replying to this post that mentioning specific drugs - might be better not to.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:I think it does to be fair. I watch a lot of rugby, read all the rugby columns, particpate in web 2.0 and social media and I'd pretty much forgotten all about him until he was picked in the A game
And I would gladly pay a monthly subscription to you and your team of researchers if you were to distil and impart that collected information in the form of a weekly podcast.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:I think it does to be fair. I watch a lot of rugby, read all the rugby columns, particpate in web 2.0 and social media and I'd pretty much forgotten all about him until he was picked in the A game
I would disagree. If it was THAT big a deal there were pre season previews, EPCR previews, squad registrations, every Munster injury update, every Munster feature/interview
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I think it was ROC who had his team for the 6N's in the other day. His locks were Ryan and Henderson. He really hates Toner and always marks down his performance in those cr@p ratings things they do.