A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Morf »

bluemagic wrote:
Morf wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Mike Sherry was on OTB yesterday and was pretty good, would like to hear more from him.
Nice to hear - will check it out.

A lot of OTB rugby content is really bland and offers very little in terms of insight. BOD's offering being a prime example.
O’Gara too. I swear they look at the scores five minutes before they come on and wheel out whatever cliches are most appropriate on air. At least other podcasts who do that have some banter to make it entertaining.
O'Gara can be poor for sure. Was on HOR this week and I enjoyed himself and Shane Williams.

I feel like he can pull out interesting and insightful stuff when he has time/is bothered but a lot of the contributors don't have it in them at all.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Morf wrote:
bluemagic wrote:
Morf wrote: Nice to hear - will check it out.

A lot of OTB rugby content is really bland and offers very little in terms of insight. BOD's offering being a prime example.
O’Gara too. I swear they look at the scores five minutes before they come on and wheel out whatever cliches are most appropriate on air. At least other podcasts who do that have some banter to make it entertaining.
O'Gara can be poor for sure. Was on HOR this week and I enjoyed himself and Shane Williams.

I feel like he can pull out interesting and insightful stuff when he has time/is bothered but a lot of the contributors don't have it in them at all.
Yeah really good ep. Must be really hard to move the kids around like that.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I find ROG to be good everywhere except on OTB. He literally phones it in there.
SaS
Bookworm

Post by SaS »

Dexter wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Reported to be just for two weeks
Is that a Munster "two weeks" or a normal calendar two weeks??.....
It's a Leinster injury two weeks...
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dara O'Briain with more of his customary populist shite in the round-up piece after the 20's game v Wales: ....it's great to see them mining for athletes,.............rather than just picking rugby players....."

As usual he is well off the mark with his facts as every one of that U.20 Squad have playing rugby since at least U.15. Sure, plenty of them have played and excelled at other sports, but none of them were just plucked off the shelf last year and stuck into a Green rugby jersey.

Not surprised with the comment as DO'B never reknowned for his factual accuracy.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Dara O'Briain with more of his customary populist shite in the round-up piece after the 20's game v Wales: ....it's great to see them mining for athletes,.............rather than just picking rugby players....."

As usual he is well off the mark with his facts as every one of that U.20 Squad have playing rugby since at least U.15. Sure, plenty of them have played and excelled at other sports, but none of them were just plucked off the shelf last year and stuck into a Green rugby jersey.

Not surprised with the comment as DO'B never reknowned for his factual accuracy.
Presenting in a hat isn't customary either.

Not many shits given there. Nugent is gone and I doubt RTE give a sh!t to what standard he presents.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

If anyone has access to this article and could print it (or the gist) I'd appreciate it. Can't access pay accounts in work. Cheers

https://www.independent.ie/sport/column ... 5G7L4HfgUg
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

LeinsterLeader wrote:If anyone has access to this article and could print it (or the gist) I'd appreciate it. Can't access pay accounts in work. Cheers

https://www.independent.ie/sport/column ... 5G7L4HfgUg
I'd appreciate it too. The relationship between the Leinster management and David Nucifora is believed to be toxic.

Can understand why.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2020/02/12/ ... t-for-all/

Tom Savage this time.
It's starting to become an annual event now. A feeding frenzy.
McCarthy gets a winners medal and now plays for Munster A, while we had to go back into the AIL to cover his spot.
It wouldn't surprise me if Munsters motivation for getting their hands on Leinster players was as much to do with weakening our squad as it is to strengthening theirs.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There's nothing very contentious in that article.

We may not like it, but we all know that it's going be inevitable that we lose someone in the backrow sooner rather than later.

There's just too much talent there.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

It seems like the subeditor who wrote the headline was drawing his own conclusions from the article
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Can't see Scott Penny leaving Leinster anytime soon.

I'd say if any of the backrows go then Connors and Deegan are most at risk.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Can someone post article plz.

Wouldn't be so sure on penny tbh
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

blockhead wrote:https://www.limerickpost.ie/2020/02/12/ ... t-for-all/

Tom Savage this time.
It's starting to become an annual event now. A feeding frenzy.
McCarthy gets a winners medal and now plays for Munster A, while we had to go back into the AIL to cover his spot.
It wouldn't surprise me if Munsters motivation for getting their hands on Leinster players was as much to do with weakening our squad as it is to strengthening theirs.
Not really. We had 4 scrumhalves in our squad before Osborne.

We got him in because (presumably) Patterson isn't seen as a viable senior option.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

mildlyinterested wrote:Can someone post article plz.

Wouldn't be so sure on penny tbh
Connacht fans seem convinced that Connors or Penny will be arriving to replace Colby Fainga'a.

I could be wrong but my take on Penny is that he wouldn't consider leaving for more game time (if he still isn't getting enough game time) till summer 2021. He's still very young, not 21 till September this year.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hopefully Hodnett has a cracker for Munster tomorrow.

I didn't read the article but there's quite a few players I'm worried about losing now. Back row is the big one but now that Fardy is staying I think the other provinces should be after Dunne and Charlie Ryan. It'd require an essay to talk about the props but there are some I don't want to lose and others who are desperate for game time. Porter's future position and Healy's longevity (I think he's still playing well but he's not exactly at his best for Ireland right now) will dictate our needs too. I'd be worried about Sheehan as well. He could certainly develop quickly with us when he gets a shot, but could easily be starting for any of the other provinces this time next year IMO.

I'm less worried about the young backs because I'm guessing we'll lose Rob, Ferg, and Tomane.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Connacht have a very real need for some backrow talent next season, they are probably short this season if we are being honest. What is disingenuous about that article is that it is written without naming Connacht as the only province who will really need a player in this position and the person who wrote it has made a business out of being one eyed about all things Munster. I sometimes enjoy reading his three red kings stuff knowing that he is Munster centric, like that is his selling point but when he is giving advice in a paper which is about the redistribution of Leinster talent it is hardly going to be impartial is it.

Munster did not need Carbery at the time, they did not need McCarthy at the time and they do not need another backrow (a position they are more stacked in then any other province) to play 'A' team rugby while watching their contemporaries shine for Leinster. But we all know the intent of that article is not about a backrow leaving Leinster to go somewhere like Connacht it is about Munster adding a player they don't need to their roster because they want them. Greedy shites :lol:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht need an Eight and a seven next season. A Nick Williams type player to create forward ball and someone to replace Fainga'a. Friend has consistently said he is looking abroad for these players and while he might be misrepresenting he's being fairly consistent about this for the last while. Admittedly I haven't heard him say that since Fainga'a announced he was leaving but I wouldn't be to worried about one of our guys leaving.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

sunshiner1 wrote:Connacht need an Eight and a seven next season. A Nick Williams type player to create forward ball and someone to replace Fainga'a. Friend has consistently said he is looking abroad for these players and while he might be misrepresenting he's being fairly consistent about this for the last while. Admittedly I haven't heard him say that since Fainga'a announced he was leaving but I wouldn't be to worried about one of our guys leaving.
Andy Friend also openly said that he was looking at Leinster players to recruit for next year, and was already talking to them:
“We’ve got a chunk of blokes we’re talking to and looking at the moment,” said Friend. “We need to fill certain positions and we’re looking for players in certain positions but it’s too early to let you know who they are."

https://www.the42.ie/andy-friend-connac ... 4-Jan2020/
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Someone should tell friend he has plenty Leinster born players..

Boyle - Leinster
Thornbury - Leinster
Masterson - Leinster
Delahunt - Leinster
Copeland - Leinster

And so on