A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

:lol:

I happened to see on Twitter that Cummiskey replied to a tweet showing the "stand up for the Japanese" video and saying that you wouldn't see it in the GAA "because people care" with..."spot on".

I really can't understand why he has such an issue with Irish rugby fans. I've referenced this several times but it still bugs me hugely that he gave out about the traveling fans being great in our semi away to Clermont a couple of years ago and then the crowd being disappointing at home the following week, as if to say that they were only interested in nice trips and big occasions.

Well actually if he has developed an issue because a lot of Irish fans think his writing and attitude are both terrible then fair enough, but the idea that a journalist who gets paid to attend games (and even a World Cup in Japan!) feels entitled to pass judgment on people who spend a lot of money supporting the team and enjoying their time in whatever way they like seems really weird to me. For a guy who went to Rock to have such a massive chip on his shoulder about Irish rugby fans baffles me, it's not like he should have ever felt like an outsider.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote::lol:

I happened to see on Twitter that Cummiskey replied to a tweet showing the "stand up for the Japanese" video and saying that you wouldn't see it in the GAA "because people care" with..."spot on".

I really can't understand why he has such an issue with Irish rugby fans. I've referenced this several times but it still bugs me hugely that he gave out about the traveling fans being great in our semi away to Clermont a couple of years ago and then the crowd being disappointing at home the following week, as if to say that they were only interested in nice trips and big occasions.

Well actually if he has developed an issue because a lot of Irish fans think his writing and attitude are both terrible then fair enough, but the idea that a journalist who gets paid to attend games (and even a World Cup in Japan!) feels entitled to pass judgment on people who spend a lot of money supporting the team and enjoying their time in whatever way they like seems really weird to me. For a guy who went to Rock to have such a massive chip on his shoulder about Irish rugby fans baffles me, it's not like he should have ever felt like an outsider.
He comes in for a bit of stick from AssuredlyThornley too:
https://twitter.com/AssuredlyGerryT/sta ... 34822?s=09
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's literally impossible to read anything by Thornley (real or fake) and not hear it in his voice.

It's literally impossible to read anything by Cummiskey.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's literally impossible to read anything by Thornley (real or fake) and not hear it in his voice.

It's literally impossible to read anything by Cummiskey.
+1, +1
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote::lol:

Comparing the attitude/festivities of the RWC to the GAA is just pointless as the same doesn't exist in the GAA.
Having said that, I've played in GAA tournaments that went on for a weekend where we've been knocked out in the first round. And you can be sure we enjoyed ourselves that night and the next couple of days/night too.
I also remember going to Dublin - Fermanagh in the All Ireland QF back in 2015 (When Seán Quigley 'scored a goal' by pushing Cluxton into the goal). The Fermanagh fans were on the absolute lash all weekend and had great craic, despite the result of the game.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Keith Duggan's piece in today's IT is as usual a good read and gives a bit of balance to the regularly negative media commentary on our national team performances.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Agree. Compare it with the sh*te Franno and his buddies are pedalling at the Indo.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 13291.html

This from a self confessed drug cheat. I will officially never again read this rag nor will I even use it to wipe my ar$e.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Wasn't he the guy who accused Heaslip of faking a career ending injury?

Anyway, I really didn't like that article. It's like it was written too early in the process. He hasn't revealed anything really, he should've done a lot more research before publishing anything. Is he accusing Heaslip of NOT failing a test?
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

He’s not accusing him of anything. Heaslip states there was a failed test due to high testosterone in his book.
The problem is that sport Ireland claim they have no record of this failed test. They say he is mistaken.

Now I think that Kimmage is so far down the rabbit hole with everything to do with doping that he can’t see the wood from the trees and the standard required for him to believe that any athlete is clean is unachievable so maybe he’s the wrong guy to be bang this drum but it is odd that Heaslip and sport Ireland are not on the same page about it.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Had to read this yesterday because I knew it would be a terrible article and then had to fight the urge not to reply to his stupidity on twitter. I mean, in an article that puts suspicion on the accuracy of details from an event 13 years ago he even made a mistake an error himself and said it happened in 2005. He also mentions that he was surprised that Heaslip was eager to mention the story again in his book...but then seems surprised and disappointed that Heaslip isn't willing to talk to him.

But that's all unimportant. The way I see it, Heaslip didn't appear in the report because his B sample was found not to have any artificial testosterone in it so didn't go to a hearing. Presumably the other guy's B sample did fail and he couldn't explain it the way Heaslip did (Kimmage even says Turnbull didn't have any help from Athletics Ireland and goes into detail about the help Heaslip got) so it went to a trial and was sorted out then. So if you get to trial then you get mentioned in the report, simple. He also asks May if Heaslip's assertion that the ISC retested his old samples is nonsense, but the article doesn't indicate that Heaslip suggested that, it says that they checked the readings from the previous tests.

The usual shite from Kimmage where he sniffs a rat because he feels entitled to someone else's personal information but isn't provided with it is cracked. May clearly wasn't trying to hide anything, she just couldn't discuss a particular case (as should have been obvious to Kimmage even without her saying it repeatedly) and was clearly quite frustrated that she couldn't clarify the inaccuracies. It's a mess of an article, hard to know if he's doubting Heaslip's story (a bold move given Heaslip admitted something that could be very bad for his reputation when he didn't need to) or implying that the ISC were involved in a cover up, or both. In his slight defence, there is a point that I could understand him investigating in terms of who tested him, but my guess would be that Heaslip was just mistaken about when he was tested.

I've mentioned this before but I read Rough Ride (an interesting read tbf to him even though I hate his style of writing) and at one stage Kimmage tells his wife that he had doped and then flips out at her and storms out of the house because...she offered him support. He thought she should have berated him and went mental when she didn't. Sums him up.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

That Paul Kip-page continues to earn a crust as a journo tells you everything you need to know about the Bindo.
Angry small syndrome from a washed up never was, not even a has-been
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Kimmage and Mackenna (who I think is near a proper breakdown reading his tweets) are both dudes who have immense journalistic talent but also clearly have huge personal issues and axes to grind as well. It's unfortunate and cannot be a healthy way to live life.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Unrelated - is this the right thread to talk about how much I hate Daire O'Brien?

I can't listen to him anymore. I want to hear his guests speak but he keeps butting in with his gobshite-at-the-bar-level analysis.

"We have to accept that we are inferior"
"The native paddy isn't strong enough"

I was going to do a full list but I've thought better of it because even thinking about it puts me in a bad mood!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Go Easy
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Twist wrote:Unrelated - is this the right thread to talk about how much I hate Daire O'Brien?

I can't listen to him anymore. I want to hear his guests speak but he keeps butting in with his gobshite-at-the-bar-level analysis.

I was going to do a full list but I've thought better of it because even thinking about it puts me in a bad mood!
It's acceptable in any thread IMO. Joanne Cantwell is way better and I've no idea why they persist with him.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Twist wrote:Unrelated - is this the right thread to talk about how much I hate Daire O'Brien?

It's acceptable in any thread IMO. Joanne Cantwell is way better and I've no idea why they persist with him.
I much prefer cantwell because she doesn't have this air about her that she doesn't want to be there.

Daire acts like he's doing everyone a favour that he's shown up that day
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

I much prefer cantwell because she doesn't have this air about her that she doesn't want to be there.

Daire acts like he's doing everyone a favour that he's shown up that day
I purposely avoided RTE for the whole RWC because of him (plus Eddie).
Dont Panic!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I think Daire is great
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

blockhead wrote:I think Daire is great
Blocked and reported.