A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:If anyone has access to this article and could print it (or the gist) I'd appreciate it. Can't access pay accounts in work. Cheers

https://www.independent.ie/sport/column ... 5G7L4HfgUg
This one
Well that didn't go very far....
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just out of curiosity, has anyone signed up for the Indo? I do flick to it a couple of times a day just because it's handy for major headlines but I rarely actually read any articles and there's no way I'd pay for it. To me it's the news equivalent of reading the first paragraph of a wiki article when you need to find out what something means, there's no actual insight and a lot of it is rubbish.

I just can't see why anyone would pay for it.
Update to this...

They now have clickbait headlines like "What should you tell your kids about coronavirus?" and "Don’t answer the door’: strict isolation plan to contain coronavirus" as premium articles at the top of page. They know exactly what they're doing with that shite and the extra subscriptions won't be worth the panic they might cause. F**k them!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So who do people recommend as a good free Irish news site?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

johng wrote:So who do people recommend as a good free Irish news site?
A (IMO): thejournal.ie and broadsheet.ie - plus village.ie.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

The most reputable source of news in this country, as well as the best reporters, journalists and presentation is shared between RTÉ and The Irish Times. We all pay for RTÉ via a TV licence fee and I am ashamed of my fellow citizens when I hear them grumble about paying it. The Irish Times has a pay wall, which is a necessary source of income if an organisation is to remain impartial and maintain high standards in the face of "free" offerings from Joe, The Journal and all the tabloid sites.

Of course, you could insist on getting your "news" for free with an I'll-know-nonsense-when-I-see-it attitude and then in 10 years we'll be wondering why so many people read the Daily Mail; and even worse, why they trust it.

Journalism is worth funding and good journalism is worth paying for. The €12 I pay each month for the Irish Times, the €160 I pay each year for public service broadcasting, and the €5 I pay each month for Second Captains are no brainers as far as I'm concerned.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

joooooe wrote:Journalism is worth funding and good journalism is worth paying for. The €12 I pay each month for the Irish Times, the €160 I pay each year for public service broadcasting, and the €5 I pay each month for Second Captains are no brainers as far as I'm concerned.
I'm generally very happy with Second Captains but when it comes to tone on social issues it can be very woker than thou at times.

That and they generally insist on putting the boot in on especially Leinster and Ireland for rugby coverage.

They admit Leinster are ignored because consistent success isn't interesting but Shaggy and co really went OTT after loss to Saracens last year.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

riocard911 wrote:
A (IMO): thejournal.ie and broadsheet.ie - plus village.ie.
Strongly disagree on the Journal. Their writers cant keep their personal opinions out of their work, nor can the editor and in general they can’t write for toffee. It’s closer to an opinion site for showcasing student columnists than a professional news site.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I have zero interest in 2nd captains and I have not bought a newspaper since the 80s so I am not interested in paying for them now.

The daily mail. Come on.

I have an odd look at the journal. RTE is a good tip actually. Probably decent. Do they have a news app? or is it muck like Newstalk?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

johng wrote:I have zero interest in 2nd captains and I have not bought a newspaper since the 80s so I am not interested in paying for them now.

The daily mail. Come on.

I have an odd look at the journal. RTE is a good tip actually. Probably decent. Do they have a news app? or is it muck like Newstalk?
In praise of RTÉ, their Brussels correspondent Tony Connelly's Brexit coverage has been absolutely top notch the last few years. As for Murriam moderating the recent election leaders debate, despite the fact that her brother Jim is FF shadow justice minister, the less said the better......
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The gas thing about RTE is that those on the left think its the voice of the centre-right establishment and those on the right think its full of trots and maoists.
I have Bumbleflex
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

I was always told RTE was a nest of stickies (or pinheads).
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:The gas thing about RTE is that those on the left think its the voice of the centre-right establishment and those on the right think its full of trots and maoists.
Even the shinners think the Stickies have had an outsize influence on RTE. from fionnan Sheehan on tweet machine
Sinn Fein member from Belfast says “when” Sinn Fein get into government to take the communications brief and have “a special word with RTÉ” over the “disgraceful way they treat us”. He gets a warm round of applause #Election2020
Given the softball press that the alphabet left(trots) have gotten from RTE in the past few years I’m inclined to agree there’s still a few stickies in there.

Some of you may remember Sean Garland from the scandal about colluding with NK to counterfeit US dollars. It was a bit more than that he was up to. If you don’t know about the stickies his obit in jacobin mag is worth a read.

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/01/sean-gar ... kers-party
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Well its hardly a surprise that the Pinnies think the Stickies are trying to do them down - its why there are Pinnies and Stickies in the first place after all.

The reality is that there was no real Marxist influence on RTE.

There were of course members of what was Official Sinn Fein in RTE, as there were in every organisation that hired graduates in the early 1970s, the late 60s and early 70s were a time of radical student politics - but the reason that they kept their political lights under a barrel was...
Then leading marxist theoretician Eoghan Harris and founder of the Ned Stapleton Cumann wrote:due to the all pervasive influence of Fianna Fail in RTE more than any entryist policy

Entryist policies were centred on the Irish Labour Party and were active until the late 80s

The idea that an organisation established, managed and fronted almost exclusively by members of the Fianna Fail family gene pool could be in any way, shape, or form trotskyite is a bit bizarre in reality.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:Well its hardly a surprise that the Pinnies think the Stickies are trying to do them down - its why there are Pinnies and Stickies in the first place after all.

The reality is that there was no real Marxist influence on RTE.

There were of course members of what was Official Sinn Fein in RTE, as there were in every organisation that hired graduates in the early 1970s, the late 60s and early 70s were a time of radical student politics - but the reason that they kept their political lights under a barrel was...
Then leading marxist theoretician Eoghan Harris and founder of the Ned Stapleton Cumann wrote:due to the all pervasive influence of Fianna Fail in RTE more than any entryist policy

Entryist policies were centred on the Irish Labour Party and were active until the late 80s

The idea that an organisation established, managed and fronted almost exclusively by members of the Fianna Fail family gene pool could be in any way, shape, or form trotskyite is a bit bizarre in reality.
Ffs, I even can remember when Joe Duffy was a bearded firebrand radical at the USI. Didn't take him long to become a pillar of the bourgeois establishment.

On a side note, Leinster comms director Marcus Ó Buachalla gave an excellent interview re corona virus and its implications for the current rugby season on RnG's Adhmhaidin yesterday. Wish my Irish was as good as his....
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 84843.html

The Examiner may have dropped Cork from its title, but hasn’t forgotten its roots. Even a cracking Leinster win has to reference Munster.
thirtynil
Beginner

Post by thirtynil »

Morf wrote:
joooooe wrote:Journalism is worth funding and good journalism is worth paying for. The €12 I pay each month for the Irish Times, the €160 I pay each year for public service broadcasting, and the €5 I pay each month for Second Captains are no brainers as far as I'm concerned.
I'm generally very happy with Second Captains but when it comes to tone on social issues it can be very woker than thou at times.

That and they generally insist on putting the boot in on especially Leinster and Ireland for rugby coverage.

They admit Leinster are ignored because consistent success isn't interesting but Shaggy and co really went OTT after loss to Saracens last year.
I doubt it's got anything to do with Leinster not being interesting. The narrative with Salarysins is epic, so many storylines and angles. Eoin does his bit as presenter, but Ken and Murph just don't like rugby. And for a bunch of supposed sports jocks, they don't seem particularly interested in anything outside of the big 3 sports.

Plus Ken's constant digs about rugby only being for private school kids... It's kinda grating. I'm starting to wonder about that €5.
thirtynil
Beginner

Post by thirtynil »

Dave Cahill wrote:The gas thing about RTE is that those on the left think its the voice of the centre-right establishment and those on the right think its full of trots and maoists.
I guess that means they're doing a good job?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A good accurate piece about Noel McNamara, Leinster Academy Manager and Irish U.20s Coach. Just named Manager of the Month and a really good operator.

https://www.the42.ie/noel-mcnamara-will ... 8-Mar2020/
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Is it a controversial opinion to think that Ugo Monye is a genuine f%~king idiot? Here's his latest, but he's reliably wrong about everything.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... out-malice

PS Look up malice in a dictionary maybe? You could argue no force, no violence if you define violence in a very narrow manner, but never no malice.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

fourthirtythree wrote:Is it a controversial opinion to think that Ugo Monye is a genuine f%~king idiot? Here's his latest, but he's reliably wrong about everything.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... out-malice

PS Look up malice in a dictionary maybe? You could argue no force, no violence if you define violence in a very narrow manner, but never no malice.
The malice of Marler was malice of intent because, as with many of the English players this season, he set out to provoke an opponent - either to react to his intimidation or, at very least, to lose his concentration. Whether it is Itoje pulling CJ's jersey over his head or Lawes, Kruis or George taking players out way beyond the breakdown or holding onto their leg as they attempt to exit a breakdown, this English team has been schooled in illegal acts for the purpose of gaining advantage.

I have absolutely no sympathy with Marler and consider Ugo Monge a complete prat who has an inflated opinion of his own importance as a commentator on the game.