A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Peg Leg »

Angelsea Angst wrote:
D4surfer wrote:I know Billy is a GAA Head, but this is some sh1te. “James” Kilcoyne???

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 28435.html
I don't have any problem with Billy Keane praising Munster but why he had do it by insulting Leinster fans with reference to the toilets in the RDS and the Royal Wedding is baffling. Just what do Leinster Rugby and its fans have to do to earn the respect of journalists such as Billy Keane. The only consolation I take is that we did not have to read much worse garbage if Munster had actually won the game.
I go to my doctor, Dr Vinny Boombatz...Image
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

alanair wrote:Just what do Leinster Rugby and its fans have to do to earn the respect of journalists such as Billy Keane.

eh... am I missing something here... why would anyone want to earn the respect of a two bit hack like Billy Keane ??
Nothing.
And why we would want it? They don't even match up on "number of bathrooms" for starters!
We kings of Europe and that's all that matters!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Oldschool wrote:
alanair wrote:Just what do Leinster Rugby and its fans have to do to earn the respect of journalists such as Billy Keane.

eh... am I missing something here... why would anyone want to earn the respect of a two bit hack like Billy Keane ??
Nothing.
And why we would want it? They don't even match up on "number of bathrooms" for starters!
Don't mind all that.....who's gonna start "song song blue" on Saturday?

He even got that wrong :lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

Nothing.

It's not a bad idea tho'
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

A whiff of Cordite

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Nothing.

He even got that wrong
It's not a bad idea tho'
If only we were capable of adding to our “repertoire”. We are sad on the signing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by artaneboy on May 23rd, 2018, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

Nothing.

He's right about our repertoire of songs though.
But I hope we never sink so low as to sing a song about a place in a rival province and claim it as our own.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

First things first, no-one associated with Leinster rugby - fans, players, staff - should worry about Billy Keane's respect. Seriously. Who f%~king cares?

Now. He did make some points I agree with. The RDS is very outdated and not up to standard. Leinster also don't have a lot of songs. But then Munster don't, too. It depends on what you want to hear. I find the repetitive, unending Field's of Athenry so excruciatingly boring now that I mute the computer when a Munster game is on. He could have mentioned that Thomond is far too big for Munster and there's a reason why they have enormous red banners hiding the terraces. But whatever. In my eyes, he isn't a writer of value or esteem. I wouldn't expect him to be objective. I'm not saying this because he wrote things I don't agree with. If the baker sells me croissants that are stale and tasteless, I wouldn't return and I wouldn't say he's good at what he does.

How any Munster fans can moan about the "D4 media" is beyond me. Irish fans always turn up late. They bought the ticket. They can do whatever they like. Imagine printing; "the Munster were probably late because they were munching on turnips." There'd be uproar.

Leaving aside his thoughts on Leinster, Billy Keane's article is so poorly written. I don't get why anyone would look for his respect. He's sh!t at his job. So let him dribble all over the keyboard. It is just the quality of media work in Ireland as a whole. It is dominated by 2 things (especially radio). British voices talking about British teams (meanwhile the presenters retain some weird "we're all against England" agenda despite British sport putting food on their table - hello, Off The Ball) or irrelevant and uninteresting local hacks. The GAA references here are amusing. I'm from "Meath." As if that makes me a different person from someone from Dublin, 3kms down the road. What an enormous cultural difference those 3kms make. Past a few fields, a golf course and a petrol station. How different that world is when you Drive past that sign signalling the end of Fingal County Council. Leinster fans could sing from a playlist of songs containing the word Dublin. I would still join in.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

suisse wrote:First things first, no-one associated with Leinster rugby - fans, players, staff - should worry about Billy Keane's respect. Seriously. Who f%~king cares?
Johnny Sexton.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It's not often that Leinster fans would agree that the rugby media are Dublin centric and pro Leinster.
However last night on "Against The Head" RTE scaled new heights or plunged new depths depending on your viewpoint.
Anchoring the discussion was Dublin's own Dara OBrian.
Ably abetting him were two Leinster stalwarts, EOS and Donal Lenihan.
Making up the numbers is mia ignorance (I didn't see all the program or record it so apologies) who is possibly from the pale, which isn't really Dublin in fairness.
Really RTE's Dublin nedia bias needs to be tackled.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Look at the meltdown on MFans against Quinlan because he doesn't parrot their fake news talking points (although to be fair to him still hesitated to say he'd support Leinster against Racing 92).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

artaneboy wrote:
If only we were capable of adding to our “repertoire”. We are sad on the signing...
I am available for autographs
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

blockhead wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Nothing.

He's right about our repertoire of songs though.
But I hope we never sink so low as to sing a song about a place in a rival province and claim it as our own.
I've always thought that "Oró sé do bheatha bhaile" would make a good song. Surprised no group of fans has adopted it

If you had a Gaeilgeoir with a megaphone you could even include the verses in a call-and-response style like the Pilou Pilou in Toulon

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dublin in the rare auld times.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

For Dublin can be heaven
With coffee at eleven
And a stroll in Stephen's Green.
There's no need to hurry.
There's no need to worry.
You're a king and the lady's a queen.
Grafton Street's a wonderland.
There's magic in the air.
There's diamonds in the lady's eyes,
And gold dust in her hair,
And if you don't believe me,
Come and meet me there,
In Dublin on a sunny summer morning
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

The Billy Keane piece was ok. He is a Munster Fan and writes from that prospective and gives little more than a gentle ribbing (although he must have left before "Molly" was sang, and lifted the royal wedding joke from here when it was directed at MFs over the return of 1000 tickets.)
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Quote: I've always thought that "Oró sé do bheatha bhaile" would make a good song. Surprised no group of fans has adopted it

Like it myself; but it's more appropriate to Connacht.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

olaf the fat wrote:The Billy Keane piece was ok. He is a Munster Fan and writes from that prospective and gives little more than a gentle ribbing (although he must have left before "Molly" was sang, and lifted the royal wedding joke from here when it was directed at MFs over the return of 1000 tickets.)
It was in no way as offensive as Franno's article above. But then Franno is a dick even when you might agree with him.

Which is rarely and by accident.

As for songs, I remember standing before Black Sunday while "Limerick, your'e a lady" was played followed by "the boys are back in town" and we all agreed that at least we won the music.

Then the match happened...
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

fourthirtythree wrote:
But then Franno is a dick even when you might agree with him.

Which is rarely and by accident.
:lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:For Dublin can be heaven
With coffee at eleven
And a stroll in Stephen's Green.
There's no need to hurry.
There's no need to worry.
You're a king and the lady's a queen.
Grafton Street's a wonderland.
There's magic in the air.
There's diamonds in the lady's eyes,
And gold dust in her hair,
And if you don't believe me,
Come and meet me there,
In Dublin on a sunny summer morning
Love that song especially the Noel Purcell version.
Think it's called "Dublin Saunter"
It was great to hear Molly on Saturday.
I'll be better prepared the next time.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

joooooe wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
I am available for autographs
Yeah- my fingers are still fat...

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"