A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Oldschool »

leinsterforever wrote:Everyone loves a post mortem
Not to mention a good wake.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Really surprised with the "come and get me" interview by John Fogarty in the IT. There are a good few contenders for that role, across all four Provinces, but I would have thought that Fogs would understand that Joe Schmidt has always favoured humility over self-promotion.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Really surprised with the "come and get me" interview by John Fogarty in the IT. There are a good few contenders for that role, across all four Provinces, but I would have thought that Fogs would understand that Joe Schmidt has always favoured humility over self-promotion.
I liked the honesty about it. We've had an awful lot of "yeah but maybe I haven't seriously considered day by day see what happens come whatever may" thrown about to the media.

Fogs is a scrum coach discussing a vacancy of a better scrum coach position which he is definitely one of 2 leading candidates
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Quinny on Off the Ball and in d'Indo criticising Castres for cheap shots and foul play is my Whiff of the month.
He said he is also allowed to criticise gouging because he gouged Cullen for only around 0.4 seconds (so, presumably, it doesn't count).

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 32711.html
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Really surprised with the "come and get me" interview by John Fogarty in the IT. There are a good few contenders for that role, across all four Provinces, but I would have thought that Fogs would understand that Joe Schmidt has always favoured humility over self-promotion.
I liked the honesty about it. We've had an awful lot of "yeah but maybe I haven't seriously considered day by day see what happens come whatever may" thrown about to the media.

Fogs is a scrum coach discussing a vacancy of a better scrum coach position which he is definitely one of 2 leading candidates
Personally think there's a genuine candidate in each Province and a couple more outsiders. Feek was responsible for a huge element of progress in Healy, McGrath, Dooley, Furlong and Porter. Fogs had impact on both Byrnes and Treacy.

Duffy in Connacht and Fla down south have done well with what has been available to them and Dundon, with important assistance from McFarland (a former scrum and Forwards Coach), has had a really good impact this term with Ulster and their young Props - other than Marty M.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

curates_egg wrote:Quinny on Off the Ball and in d'Indo criticising Castres for cheap shots and foul play is my Whiff of the month.
He said he is also allowed to criticise gouging because he gouged Cullen for only around 0.4 seconds (so, presumably, it doesn't count).

Read what he said and whilst he wouldn't normally be my favourite person to listen to, I completely agree with what he said. Too many instances of players sliding in with their knees with the intention of hitting a guy late e.g Gareth Davies chief culprit. Cowardly thing to do. Surprised Munster didnt get stuck in seeing as they got no help from the officials. As much as I dislike Munster they def got shafted on sunday and castres showed their true colours. Weren't giving it the big one in limerick but acted like it when they were at home. After they rolled over the previous week. Like most French teams who are looking for the bus home after the first 10 mine when they are playing away.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

carlow man wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Quinny on Off the Ball and in d'Indo criticising Castres for cheap shots and foul play is my Whiff of the month.

Read what he said and whilst he wouldn't normally be my favourite person to listen to, I completely agree with what he said. Too many instances of players sliding in with their knees with the intention of hitting a guy late e.g Gareth Davies chief culprit. Cowardly thing to do. Surprised Munster didnt get stuck in seeing as they got no help from the officials. As much as I dislike Munster they def got shafted on sunday and castres showed their true colours. Weren't giving it the big one in limerick but acted like it when they were at home. After they rolled over the previous week. Like most French teams who are looking for the bus home after the first 10 mine when they are playing away.
No doubt what you write is all true; as is what Quinny said.
However, and while I like Quinny a lot, it is enormous hypocrisy for him to deliver that message.
He made a successful career out of foul play, as plenty of Munster players did before him.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:
carlow man wrote:

However, and while I like Quinny a lot, it is enormous hypocrisy for him to deliver that message.
He made a successful career out of foul play, as plenty of Munster players did before him.
Quinlan made a career out of illegal play- certainly. He committed his share of fouls too, but never saw him in the same category as some boyos down there and elsewhere.

Now people may shout about his would be gouge on Leo. That’s there, but we’ve had aberrations like that on our side. The tough call on Shane Jennings on Kennedy in that LI match years ago, still rankles, but there it is. Would I discount Shane’s opinions on the topic as a result? Obviously not!

What Quinlan says is true, even if he’s not perceived as the best channel to deliver it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Players are getting hurt for nothing because they are vy
Vulnerable when finishing.

It has crept into the game and could be stopped easily within current laws. It's a no brainer.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ronk wrote:Players are getting hurt for nothing because they are vy

It has crept into the game and could be stopped easily within current laws. It's a no brainer.
It’s a definite unpleasant trend. Needs severe sanctions to stop it. I notice some Welsh and French teams make a habit of it.

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Lancaster's OTB podcast is well worth a listen. Interesting to hear him talk a good bit about how he's enjoying focusing on leadership and coaching in Leinster and letting Leo do the management. He said that this balance was the key thing he got wrong with England.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Exactly> it's a no brainer. At a minimum it contravenes:
Law 9 Foul Play:
17. A player must not tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp an opponent whose feet are off the
ground.
Sanction: Penalty.
So once a player in possession is has dived and is sliding into in goal he/she technically can't be tackled legally.

But the sliding in feet, knees first is even worse.

Its also against the Tackle Law to go off your feet; and in fact you can only execute a tackle on the field of play. Field of play does not include in-goal; so if someone is sliding in you essentially can't tackle them legitimately. Sliding into a tackle off your feet is out of control and dangerous, and if done in goal should be sanctioned with a YC. (Liam Williams some years ago on Paddy Jackson... should have been a YC). Although the Castres player slid into Conway in the field of play, he was off feet, out of control, and it was dangerous. Should have gotten at least YC.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
carlow man wrote: Read what he said and whilst he wouldn't normally be my favourite person to listen to, I completely agree with what he said. Too many instances of players sliding in with their knees with the intention of hitting a guy late e.g Gareth Davies chief culprit. Cowardly thing to do. Surprised Munster didnt get stuck in seeing as they got no help from the officials. As much as I dislike Munster they def got shafted on sunday and castres showed their true colours. Weren't giving it the big one in limerick but acted like it when they were at home. After they rolled over the previous week. Like most French teams who are looking for the bus home after the first 10 mine when they are playing away.
Quinlan made a career out of illegal play- certainly. He committed his share of fouls too, but never saw him in the same category as some boyos down there and elsewhere.

Now people may shout about his would be gouge on Leo. That’s there, but we’ve had aberrations like that on our side. The tough call on Shane Jennings on Kennedy in that LI match years ago, still rankles, but there it is. Would I discount Shane’s opinions on the topic as a result? Obviously not!

What Quinlan says is true, even if he’s not perceived as the best channel to deliver it.

You lost me at "would be". Consciously putting your finger in someone's eye puts you in the scumbag category. Doesn't mean you can't be a good pundit or critic, but you're still a scumbag.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote:

It’s a definite unpleasant trend. Needs severe sanctions to stop it. I notice some Welsh and French teams make a habit of it.

And TPFKAM
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

A whiff of Cordite

Post by artaneboy »

Peg Leg wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
curates_egg wrote: No doubt what you write is all true; as is what Quinny said.

You lost me at "would be". Consciously putting your finger in someone's eye puts you in the scumbag category. Doesn't mean you can't be a good pundit or critic, but you're still a scumbag.
Sorry- not trying to be pedantic, but I was judging gouging as essentially actually doing some serious damage: almost a medical designation. What he did was despicable- but just as I elsewhere described Kockott’s contemptible actions as “would be”. Doesn’t take from the intent.

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

To be honest I thought the elbow/shoulder drop on Conway 'long' after he grounded the ball was a much worse offense.

If the Castres player had slid a little quicker on the wet surface he'd have reached the ball first and Conway would have made knees first contact with him instead - yet nobody is saying Conway (or any of our players in the game against Bath) shouldn't have gone to ground to recover the ball.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Xanthippe wrote:To be honest I thought the elbow/shoulder drop on Conway 'long' after he grounded the ball was a much worse offense.

If the Castres player had slid a little quicker on the wet surface he'd have reached the ball first and Conway would have made knees first contact with him instead - yet nobody is saying Conway (or any of our players in the game against Bath) shouldn't have gone to ground to recover the ball.
There were actually three potential red cards in that one move: the off the ball upending of POM,; the slide tackle on Conway- and then the late knee drop. Disgraceful each and every one of them.

I don’t agree that there was much to be said in mitigation for the slide at all. I think he meant to damage Conway first and maybe get the ball second. I actually thought that the one that lead to the only sanction- the no-arms, off-the-ball tip-tackle was (blackly comically) the least intentional to hurt of the three! But that only illustrates the egregious nature of the other two.

leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I didn't think there was a lot in this supposed slide tackle. Conway wasn't in possession. The Castres player is entitled to go for the ball. I though he was just trying to kick it out
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

A whiff of Cordite

Post by artaneboy »

leinsterforever wrote:I didn't think there was a lot in this supposed slide tackle. Conway wasn't in possession. The Castres player is entitled to go for the ball. I though he was just trying to kick it out
It wasn’t a supposed slide tackle- it was an actual one.

He is certainly not entitled to go for the ball with his feet or knees if he is endangering another player- which he patently did. His entire setup was aimed at the man or ball.

Conway having possession of the ball is irrelevant to the foul. It might have relevance to whether it’s a penalty try.

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I only saw the highlights but I thought the POM tackle was a straight red as was the gouge. Seems the disciplinary panel agree and handed out a one and three week ban apiece. Brought nice biccies and tay to the meeting. Much obliged. Wore their sunday suits with the matching ties on and everything. Shoes shiny.

It would have been completely out of line with normal adjudication of the game had the Conway incident warranted a card. I also, from the highlights only, thought he had knocked the ball on before there was any contact so a penalty try would have been ridiculous.