A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by hugonaut »

Jesus. Read this torturous prose and weep: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 16424.html
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

hugonaut wrote:Jesus. Read this torturous prose and weep: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 16424.html
Some of the audience cried foul at the blatant forward pass from Dan Leavy to Luke McGrath which provided the home side with the decisive 65th-minute try that earned the lead for the first and last time in an epic contest.
My god!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

hugonaut wrote:Jesus. Read this torturous prose and weep: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 16424.html
This guy gets paid to write that!? Jesus...
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I wouldn't wipe my arse with the Indo, and Kelly is king of the scrote faces over there. Kelly is up there with Stephen Jones in the odious bellend who know SFA about rugby stakes
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

molloyjh wrote:
This guy gets paid to write that!? Jesus...

It really is utter f%~king dross
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Kelly has always been a really bad writer who could do with a strong editor. Of course, the Indo also have Billy Keane writing his usual frothy 'Munster are liginds' pieces every single week, so a strong editor doesn't seem to exist in there.

Honestly the level of rugby writing this year has been utterly atrocious bar a few notable exceptions.

What is it about rugby writing that attracts ego maniacs, awful writers and enormous bias?

I don't follow football much, but does this happen in other sports?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I miss Murray Kinsella.

There was a lad once who wrote a blog called Demented Mole but he has become a lazy bast..d.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

the spoofer wrote:I miss Murray Kinsella.

There was a lad once who wrote a blog called Demented Mole but he has become a lazy bast..d.
I feel your pain. Missing those two too. Hopefully Murray should be back soon from his sabbatical.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Three Red Kings is good. It's obviously Munster biased but on the opposite end to the Billy Keane/Conor George way.
Does good analysis of Munster games too.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Ironically the Irish (Cork) examiner rugby coverage is generally very good. Understandably has a munster bias but the journalists and their articles are streets ahead of the rubbish that the indo spews out.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

That David Kelly article read like a Junior Cert homework assignment where the teacher told him to submit it again because he didn't use enough words...

I know the Indo likes to patronise their readers (especially Ward and his good old days of Munster articles) but this was just borderline offensive
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Gerard Meagher, in the Guardian, wrote:It is worth pointing out however that Leicester came into this European double-header on the back of a heavyweight tussle with Wasps and now face Saracens and Exeter in consecutive matches. It is important not to take away from Munster’s performance but the Premiership is hardly set up in a manner that benefits its clubs in Europe.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ean-action

Maybe you should have changed the format of your league, rather than changing the format of Europe, if that's how you feel.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:Three Red Kings is good. It's obviously Munster biased but on the opposite end to the Billy Keane/Conor George way.
Does good analysis of Munster games too.
I know Im always plugging it but its really good and very balanced eg he tore strips off the bs of why Ryan left

Examiner is good too
Belfast Telegraph generally decent as well
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Read the article before reading your comment.
Big mistake on my part, tortuous doesn't describe.
"I've nothing good I want to say about Leinster so I'll say something bad instead" might sum it up.
Or, he does like to waffle doesn't he?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Kelly has always been a really bad writer who could do with a strong editor.
I don't know, I think it'd be difficult to edit that on the timelines these guys have to meet. So much of it is gouty dross. Kelly should just write better sentences.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

TheBear wrote:
Gerard Meagher, in the Guardian, wrote:It is worth pointing out however that Leicester came into this European double-header on the back of a heavyweight tussle with Wasps and now face Saracens and Exeter in consecutive matches. It is important not to take away from Munster’s performance but the Premiership is hardly set up in a manner that benefits its clubs in Europe.

Maybe you should have changed the format of your league, rather than changing the format of Europe, if that's how you feel.
Serious butthurt here. As if it's the Pro 14 clubs' fault that they manage their players responsibly.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

TheBear wrote:

Meanwhile Munster (who just did the double over Leicester) came into the double-header on the back of playing Ospreys (who just did the double over Northampton), will now face Leinster (who just did the double over Exeter) and Ulster (who just did the double over Harlequins) in consecutive matches...

But if only the premiership teams weren't all so good at rugby, then they might stand a chance at winning in Europe! Strewth!
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

2017 2016 2015

15. Jordan Larmour (10) 15. Zane Kirchner (75) Z KirchneR
14. Barry Daly (16) 14. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN (160) F McFadden
13. Rory O’Loughlin (31) 13. Rory O’Loughlin (9) G Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw (18) 12. Robbie Henshaw (5) L Fitzgerald
11. James Lowe (1) 11. Barry Daly (4) I Nacewa
10. Ross Byrne (37) 10. Ross Byrne (9) I Madigan
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (40) 9. Jamison Gibson-Park (13) E Reddan
1. Jack McGrath (121) CAPTAIN 1. Cian Healy (163) J McGrath
2. James Tracy (53) 2. James Tracy (29) S Cronin
3. Michael Bent (97) 3. Tadhg Furlong (58) T Furlong
4. Devin Toner (207) 4. Ross Molony (31) D Toner
5. James Ryan (7) 5. Mike McCarthy (70) T Denton
6. Jordi Murphy (95) 6. Rhys Ruddock (121) D Ryan
7. Dan Leavy (45) 7. Dan Leavy (25) S O'Brien
8. Jack Conan (63) 8. Jack Conan (37) J Heaslip
16. Richardt Strauss (150) 16. Richardt Strauss (134) J Tracy
17. Ed Byrne (14) 17. Peter Dooley (28) C Healy
18. Tadhg Furlong (74) 18. Michael Bent (72) M Moore
19. Mick Kearney (26) 19. Ian Nagle (6) R Molony
20. Josh van der Flier (56) 20. Dominic Ryan (108) J Van Der Flier
21. Nick McCarthy (14) 21. Charlie Rock (1) N McCarthy
22. Cathal Marsh (25) 22. Noel Reid (71) C Marsh
23. Noel Reid (90) 23. Tom Daly (3) D Kearney

Whatever the outcome, this injudicious approach to selection has let a lot of people down.
This time last year in the corresponding fixture, the Leinster team read: Z Kirchner; F McFadden, G Ringrose, L Fitzgerald, I Nacewa; I Madigan, E Reddan; J McGrath, S Cronin, T Furlong; D Toner, T Denton; D Ryan, S O'Brien and J Heaslip.
Twelve months on Leinster rugby is unquestionably in a different place with probably its greatest strength in depth ever but this type of shadow selection doesn't wash for me. It is disrespectful to everyone involved, not least the Pro12 competition itself.

This time last year I took Leo Cullen and Leinster to task over the shadow XV selected to play in the biggest game of the Thomond Park calendar outside of Champions Cup nights.
The criticism was well-warranted as Leinster chose to disrespect the history and tradition of the greatest club fixture in global rugby.
I never criticise for the sake of it. What Leinster did was disrespectful to the fans who had paid good money for that precious ticket, only to be sold short by the selection of one of the sides. It was wrong.
Munster against Leinster is special, so Leo and Leinster deserve a slap on the back for returning it to its rightful place. Over to you lads.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

2017 2016 2015

Whatever the outcome, this injudicious approach to selection has let a lot of people down.
This time last year in the corresponding fixture, the Leinster team read: Z Kirchner; F McFadden, G Ringrose, L Fitzgerald, I Nacewa; I Madigan, E Reddan; J McGrath, S Cronin, T Furlong; D Toner, T Denton; D Ryan, S O'Brien and J Heaslip.
Twelve months on Leinster rugby is unquestionably in a different place with probably its greatest strength in depth ever but this type of shadow selection doesn't wash for me. It is disrespectful to everyone involved, not least the Pro12 competition itself.

This time last year I took Leo Cullen and Leinster to task over the shadow XV selected to play in the biggest game of the Thomond Park calendar outside of Champions Cup nights.
The criticism was well-warranted as Leinster chose to disrespect the history and tradition of the greatest club fixture in global rugby.
I never criticise for the sake of it. What Leinster did was disrespectful to the fans who had paid good money for that precious ticket, only to be sold short by the selection of one of the sides. It was wrong.
Munster against Leinster is special, so Leo and Leinster deserve a slap on the back for returning it to its rightful place. Over to you lads.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Just a review of the teams over vthe last 3 years and some of Tony Wards comments on the selections. When you look over the teams, it's hard to say which is stronger really.

2017 2016 2015

Last edited by Edna Kenny on December 27th, 2017, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.