A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

kermischocolate
Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by kermischocolate »

Twist wrote:The IRFU really should have pursued the matter of his scurrilous allegations about the World Cup
Who, where, what now?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

kermischocolate wrote:
Twist wrote:The IRFU really should have pursued the matter of his scurrilous allegations about the World Cup
Who, where, what now?
He wrote that the IRFU conspired to have Scotland's game called off.

https://www.the42.ie/irfu-allegation-su ... 5-Oct2019/
https://www.the42.ie/sunday-times-irfu-4851827-Oct2019/
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Cummiskey getting on the bandwagon now

“Yet again, something has got to give at openside. Will Connors nudged Jordi Murphy – who left Leinster for Ulster in search of more Ireland caps – out of the national squad but is the 23-year-old willing to sit behind Josh van der Flier, Dan Leavy, Max Deegan and even Scott Penny?

Munster could build their pack around Deegan if Leinster do not.

Same goes at scrumhalf; can Hugh O’Sullivan, Paddy Patterson and Rowan Osborne all afford to spend the next five years waiting behind Luke McGrath and Jamison Gibson Park?

Nick McCarthy already went to Munster but Ulster and Connacht should be in the market for quality back-up.

Harry Byrne is in Portugal this week with the Ireland squad but he’s fourth -choice outhalf at Leinster behind Ciarán Frawley, Ross Byrne and Sexton. Connacht would benefit immensely from his arrival.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 8?mode=amp

So he thinks Max Deegan is a 7.

Which I suppose explains why he thinks Deegan won’t be behind POM and Stander at Munster (and he ignores the loyalty JVG shows to his own 7s).

He noticed Nick McCarthy went to Munster but hasn’t noticed the lack of opportunities given to him there.

He thinks Harry Byrne is in an intolerable position as 4th choice in Leinster but being 3rd choice in Connacht could apparently be his golden ticket.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

We have a problem. In case it has escaped anyone, the perception has been created that our academy is creating an unending source of quality players and we are girding them: unable to give them enough game time and depriving other provinces of availing if their badly needed quality.

It doesn’t matter that there’s falsehoods or half truths at all stages of that conceit, it’s become- by conspiracy or laziness. Regarded as the accepted narrative. We need now if course to challenge that in the media- but also to recognise the weakness of our position and consider moving with proposals- one-season loans, etc., before we have a more radical and damaging proposal- a national draft with a single academy, etc. imposed on us.

Something is coming, this campaign is beyond the cyclical rumblings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

artaneboy wrote:We have a problem. In case it has escaped anyone, the perception has been created that our academy is creating an unending source of quality players and we are girding them: unable to give them enough game time and depriving other provinces of availing if their badly needed quality.

It doesn’t matter that there’s falsehoods or half truths at all stages of that conceit, it’s become- by conspiracy or laziness. Regarded as the accepted narrative. We need now if course to challenge that in the media- but also to recognise the weakness of our position and consider moving with proposals- one-season loans, etc., before we have a more radical and damaging proposal- a national draft with a single academy, etc. imposed on us.

We are doing their work for them by facilitating the process and hoping for damage limitation. Other provinces see it as weakness and try to exploit it.

Even the Cummisky quote is bonkers: Jordi Murphy left Leinster and he's been passed by a guy who was barely on the radar. Munster love 8s like Stander and Botha, they've never warmed to a technical player like Deegan. They can't and wouldn't build their pack around him.

Nick McCarthy is already looking a bust at Munster.

As Leinster can actually develop talent we should be taking the best of the young talent from the other provinces and giving them a better chance of playing for Ireland.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

They add a new position every week. First it was flanker, then number 8, then a 10, then a lock now a scrum half.

Something that is true the young Leinster scrum half’s ie the two academy players and the one plucked from obscurity in the AIL do need game time but will they get it at Connacht behind Marmion, Blade or Kerins? Will they get it at Ulster behind Cooney and Shanahan or their own academy graduate Johnny Stewart?

If they took a stab at doing a decent piece with a bit of analysis you could still be pissed off as a Leinster fan but you might be able to concede that there is some merit in it but at the minute they are just name checking guys without actually looking at their current progress and where they would sit if they moved. What a cushty job being a sports hack is.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

If they were being genuine what they would say is Nick McCarthy made a very bad move. A former Ireland U20 captain and a player earmarked as a future international from a young age. He committed to Munster where he thought at the time he would fit into their match day 23 which has not worked out. He lost his last season with Leinster to injury and now has lost this season to Munster doing a Munster on it and before his career is over he needs to get himself a move and try and save it like John Cooney did. McCarthy is the 9 in the worst position imo
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ronk wrote:
artaneboy wrote:We have a problem. In case it has escaped anyone, the perception has been created that our academy is creating an unending source of quality players and we are girding them: unable to give them enough game time and depriving other provinces of availing if their badly needed quality.

We are doing their work for them by facilitating the process and hoping for damage limitation. Other provinces see it as weakness and try to exploit it.

Even the Cummisky quote is bonkers: Jordi Murphy left Leinster and he's been passed by a guy who was barely on the radar. Munster love 8s like Stander and Botha, they've never warmed to a technical player like Deegan. They can't and wouldn't build their pack around him.

As Leinster can actually develop talent we should be taking the best of the young talent from the other provinces and giving them a better chance of playing for Ireland.
Looking at how to mitigate a likely decision that will damage us is not “facilitating”.

Complaining about it won’t stop it- or the drivers behind it.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

For my sins I watched the IRL v NZ q/f again from start to finish.
Out half backs were just bad and gave our pack no help whatsoever.
Harry Byrne is third choice in Leinster, Sexton will be down the pecking order before the start of next season.
For Sexton this is like an action replay of last season and anyone who thinks things are going to get better are simply not facing up to facts.
If Van Graan was doing his job, Murray wouldn't be starting.
The only reason Deegan would be moved to Munster to play at 8 would be if POM was being replaced and CJ being moved to 6. The only reason that makes sense that is.
Anyone think VG is going to do that?
There is a real problem here for the provinces, Ireland and Farrell
It's called central contracts.
Farrell is obliged to select centrally contracted players if they are available. The provincial coaches are obliged to play ball with this.
This is hurting Munster much more than it's hurting Leinster. But if Sexton is selected on the basis of a central contract then Leinster are going to suffer.
Younger players, before they make any moves are going to look at who, where and for how long are the central contracts.
They are also going to look at where players have gone and how it's worked out for other players.
A comparison between Munster and Ulster would be instructive.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

artaneboy wrote:
Looking at how to mitigate a likely decision that will damage us is not “facilitating”.

Complaining about it won’t stop it- or the drivers behind it.

Acceptable something that isnt even true as inevitable is facilitating.

Our academy is a strength and we should leverage it. We should be pinning the RWC pain on player drain. Legitimately, it's stronger than the current narratives.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFb-_CFo6f4

Ronan Kelleher talks with OTB.
Near the end he's asked about the idea of a national (Leinster) draft of academy talent.
"On yer bike, we all want to play for Leinster" paraphrasing of course.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

I know I shouldn't be irritated - and I shouldn't expect anything but.... Rugby on Off the Ball, discussing the Saracens thing and Keith Woods says (unchallanged by presenter) that it's a little unfair that the punishment recommended by the report (35 points and fine) was increased out of spite by the other clubs.

JFC Keith. At least try to understand the difference between the 3 years that the report and punishment was about and the current year with a continued breach - and that the club choose that rather than the alternative - and that it was on teh back of being caught in 2015 as well. You can claim the treatment for this year is out of spite if you want but they didn't increase the judge's recomendation in the report.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The Doc wrote:I know I shouldn't be irritated - and I shouldn't expect anything but.... Rugby on Off the Ball, discussing the Saracens thing and Keith Woods says (unchallanged by presenter) that it's a little unfair that the punishment recommended by the report (35 points and fine) was increased out of spite by the other clubs.

JFC Keith. At least try to understand the difference between the 3 years that the report and punishment was about and the current year with a continued breach - and that the club choose that rather than the alternative - and that it was on teh back of being caught in 2015 as well. You can claim the treatment for this year is out of spite if you want but they didn't increase the judge's recomendation in the report.
In fairness to Fester, he has experienced the dread associated with the cold dead hand of relegation. Completely changes your perspective on everything.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Relegation stole my pen
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote:
The Doc wrote:I know I shouldn't be irritated - and I shouldn't expect anything but.... Rugby on Off the Ball, discussing the Saracens thing and Keith Woods says (unchallanged by presenter) that it's a little unfair that the punishment recommended by the report (35 points and fine) was increased out of spite by the other clubs.

In fairness to Fester, he has experienced the dread associated with the cold dead hand of relegation. Completely changes your perspective on everything.
Exactly Peg Leg.
The big "R" makes one delusional. Incapable of rational thought. Dissmissive of facts that don't confirm your bias.
And in Woodys particular case, the exclusive use of only one adjective "unbelievable" in all discourse.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Birch, on The42 podcast, also went on a bit about the unfairness of the punishment.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

blockhead wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:

Exactly Peg Leg.
The big "R" makes one delusional. Incapable of rational thought. Dissmissive of facts that don't confirm your bias.
And in Woodys particular case, the exclusive use of only one adjective "unbelievable" in all discourse.
This grinds my gears no end.

"I was unebelieveably impressed with him" - what really? Your levels of impressedness reached levels that couldn't be believed? There's a few stars of the podcasting firmament that are wedded to the term "incredibly" too. All too often their claims are perfectly credible.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Just a thought re Cumiskey and his ongoing columns about Leinster lads moving.

How would he feel if the Editor said to him , we have two good quality rugby journalists here as well as yourself and maybe you would be better off going to the Limerick Leader , Belfast Telegraph or the Connacht Tribune.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Blue not red blood wrote:Just a thought re Cumiskey and his ongoing columns about Leinster lads moving.

How would he feel if the Editor said to him , we have two good quality rugby journalists here as well as yourself and maybe you would be better off going to the Limerick Leader , Belfast Telegraph or the Connacht Tribune.
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Blue not red blood wrote:Just a thought re Cumiskey and his ongoing columns about Leinster lads moving.

More likely to say that he's doing a great job as his articles are in line with IRFU policy and will get him access to the Irish Coach and Performance Director
I have Bumbleflex