A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by blockhead »

Makenna in the INDO.
At the beginning of 2016, after just 7,200 had shown up to Thomond Park for a derby with Ulster
?
No derby in TP at the begining of 2016.
There was one in Ravers and the crowd was 10,011 more than stated by said "journalist".
And 6 days earlier Munster had 25,600 in to witness another rodgering by big blue- (7-24).

No excuses for the numbers. He uses them constantly to suit his arguments, this time it's "irish fans are a bunch of bandwagoners".
I agree, we are, bar a few die-hards.
Makenna falls into the same old trap that most Irish Journalists do.
Being negative, and going against anything that is currently popular will mark you out as intelligent and sophisticated.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

George hook made a career out of it. Not sure I'd have him down as either of those 2
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote:George hook made a career out of it. Not sure I'd have him down as either of those 2
Hook was in a class of his own though. I remember in the early 00s, he was telling Tom McGurk that the closing of the mines meant Wales wouldn't be able to call on the coal miners for its props and locks anymore, they were likely doomed at scrum time....sure enough, Jones and Jenkins would go on to win 3 slams.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Once again, Murray Kinsella demonstrates the quality of his journalism. A great profile / interview with Jean Kleyn in The42 at:

http://www.the42.ie/jean-kleyn-munster- ... 8-Mar2018/

In real contrast to the relative dross in Sat's IT where two good opportunities are missed, notably Jamie's first (?) significant interview since retirement.

Well done MK.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Anyone else hear Dave McIntyre interviewing BOD on OTB the other day? I had to turn it off because he just kept interrupting him...it was unbelievable.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Anyone else hear Dave McIntyre interviewing BOD on OTB the other day? I had to turn it off because he just kept interrupting him...it was unbelievable.
I can't stand listening to him most of the time.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Agreed, he seems to think he's the main event these days and that was only made worse by being the presenter.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Can’t smell the cordite.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Des Barry in the indo writes:

"Luke McGrath has not been able to overcome an ankle injury to leave Leinster looking vulnerable at home to The Scarlets in the Champions Cup semi-final on Saturday, writes Des Berry in The Herald."

Ehhh... what's that Des?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 22258.html
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

CiaranIrl wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Anyone else hear Dave McIntyre interviewing BOD on OTB the other day? I had to turn it off because he just kept interrupting him...it was unbelievable.
Agreed. I kinda knew him for a while before he started working in media. He has a great career now so good for him. But I thought he was insufferable bore back then. He's really full of himself and it is made worse by Newstalk continually feeding his ego but having regular discussions about him even when he's not there. I almost get the feeling they know they could lose him at any time to a major broadcaster so they do what they can to make him feel special.

He's an okay commentator. He does a good job. But he's really bad at interviewing. His questions are always far too long, but he's not alone in Newstalk for that. Think Adrian Barry stumbling all over the place trying to ask a question. The OTB lads continually praise Bill O'Herlihy for his ability to spark debate often by saying as few amount of words as possible. McIntyre is the complete opposite.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Can't bear him as an interviewer... His questions have about 10 sub clauses and he answers his own question while actually asking it.

He's ok as a commentator but I suspect it's the same reason... He fills the space.

I don't get why the OTB crowd keep making this issue about how fit he is... It bangs of a big "wannabe" complex

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

its now 25 mins into OTB review of the semis and they have now moved on from the woes of Munster to Donncha Ryan. No mention of Leinster yet!!
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Liginds
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Thanks. That'll save me from clicking.

In fairness, Newstalk have to be very careful. Anyone brave enough to question the abilities of some members of the Munster team are being absolutely savaged. It doesn't matter if it a Munster legend (Donal Lenihan - "what does he know about rugby?") or an incredibly successful winger (Shane Horgan - "typical Leinster bias"), if you speak openly and honestly, expect the best fans in the world (c) to question your integrity and intelligence. I know every fanbase has some knackers but the outrage there takes it to a new level. IRFU funding is a big one now.

The 6 Nations/Grand Slam.
European Cup
British and Irish Cup
And hopefully...Pro14.

All had or have an irish competing for the winning trophy. This is an unbelievable year for Irish rugby. Unless you're bitter.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

suisse wrote:Thanks. That'll save me from clicking.

In fairness, Newstalk have to be very careful. Anyone brave enough to question the abilities of some members of the Munster team are being absolutely savaged. It doesn't matter if it a Munster legend (Donal Lenihan - "what does he know about rugby?") or an incredibly successful winger (Shane Horgan - "typical Leinster bias"), if you speak openly and honestly, expect the best fans in the world (c) to question your integrity and intelligence. I know every fanbase has some knackers but the outrage there takes it to a new level. IRFU funding is a big one now.

European Cup
British and Irish Cup
And hopefully...Pro14.

All had or have an irish competing for the winning trophy. This is an unbelievable year for Irish rugby. Unless you're bitter.
Well, they’re supposedly “better when they’re bitter,” so we should expect a massive resurgence from our southern brethren soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

suisse wrote:Thanks. That'll save me from clicking.

European Cup
British and Irish Cup
And hopefully...Pro14.

Any criticism of the Munster team has been qualified with (justified) comments about how they needed a lot of character and work ethic to get so far with some average players in the team. They'll twist anything to feed the 'D4 media' narrative (the same media that was massively up Munster's ass, 'pride', 'pashun' etc when they were successful in the mid-'00s, and at the same time disproportionately and sometimes vindictively critical of Leinster).

Don't forget that until we won the Slam, the near consensus on Mfans was that Schmidt and the IRFU were systematically biased towards Leinster, and this was the main reason for more Leinster players being selected in the Irish team. They were convinced they would hammer the Leinster shadow side with their near first XV in Thomond in December, and only that comfortable victory for Leinster, the subsequent Slam and Leinster's success in the Champions' Cup have belatedly forced a stubborn and ungracious admittance from most of them that Leinster are a bit ahead of Munster right now, and maybe (some) of Schmidt's selections were justified.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

From the BBC.
Dave Rennie has stressed that his Glasgow Warriors side have plenty of motivation of their own as they prepare to face a "desperate" Edinburgh.

Warriors are already assured of a home Pro14 semi-final heading into Saturday's 1827 Cup decider
1827?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:From the BBC.
Dave Rennie has stressed that his Glasgow Warriors side have plenty of motivation of their own as they prepare to face a "desperate" Edinburgh.

Warriors are already assured of a home Pro14 semi-final heading into Saturday's 1827 Cup decider
1827?
The hipsters 1872?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

John Cooney having a go at Indo's Eamonn Sweeny on Twitter, re an article on Sunday
Dont Panic!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dexter wrote:John Cooney having a go at Indo's Eamonn Sweeny on Twitter, re an article on Sunday
Any wonder did you read it ?