A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Made Of Ale
Graduate

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Made Of Ale »

The Irish Times should have some sort of indicator to let me know that Gavin Cummiskey has written an article, so that I don't waste my time clicking on it. I'd nearly prefer to read Stephen Jones.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Lar wrote:The IT pick Leinster's best XV of the season today and left out Scott Fardy. :shock:

I know he was signed and started off the season as a second row and yet played most recently (primarily due to injury) at his original position in Australia as a 6 but he has been one of the players of this excellent season and much as I admire Rhys Ruddock who has had another season beset by injury there is no way he has been ahead of Fardy this season in terms of his contribution overall.
Wasn't he included at 4?
D4surfer wrote:
Lar wrote:The IT pick Leinster's best XV of the season today and left out Scott Fardy. :shock:

I know he was signed and started off the season as a second row and yet played most recently (primarily due to injury) at his original position in Australia as a 6 but he has been one of the players of this excellent season and much as I admire Rhys Ruddock who has had another season beset by injury there is no way he has been ahead of Fardy this season in terms of his contribution overall.
Bizarre. Rhys is magnificent but this year based on his injury absences and Fardy's brilliance he should not be in that team. Also Rob was injured for the 2011 Heineken Cup Final so has three medals not four.
Even if he was injured for the final, he'll still have a medal.
Made Of Ale wrote:The Irish Times should have some sort of indicator to let me know that Gavin Cummiskey has written an article, so that I don't waste my time clicking on it. I'd nearly prefer to read Stephen Jones.
I heartily endorse this idea.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Yeah, they picked Toner and Ryan in the row and Ruddock at 6 (Cummiskey, that is).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Bizarre call not to have Fardy in his team of the year....
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

People shouldn't be surprised when Cummiskey has a bizarre article. They should be surprised when he doesn't.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

It's also incredibly lazy. Could he not think of anything better to write than a team of the year where 90% of it is utterly obvious that he had to throw in a bizarre curveball to get people talking?
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Thornley in the Irish Times today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3510414
He then faded the conversion from the left-hand touchline with the breeze to make it 28-11 at the break.
Are there no editors in the Irish print media?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Actually very few - most of the papers have done away with subs almost entirely
I have Bumbleflex
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

You will get more sense reading tea leaves at the bottom of a cup, than some of the appalling reporting that appears in the Press.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

The Paper of Record my arse. Last week v Munster they had Byrne down for converting Conan's offLowed try instead of Carbery
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Laighin Break wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:On Raglan Road anyone? ''tis but round the corner from the RDS
Message is a bit weird though. About him stalking some young wan that didn't like him.

How about the Monto?
She led him on by making a literal snare from her own hair. Why are the pretty ones always insane, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Whatever you do, don't click on the link below as it contains the views of 4 Guardian hacks on the highs and lows of European club rugby this season. Lets just say that they make Stephen Jones look like a lifelong Anglesea Terrace fanatic.

I'm telling you, don't click on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ew-writers
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by CiaranIrl » May 28th, 2018, 2:03 pm

People shouldn't be surprised when Cummiskey has a bizarre article. They should be surprised when he doesn't.
+1
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

enby wrote:Whatever you do, don't click on the link below as it contains the views of 4 Guardian hacks on the highs and lows of European club rugby this season. Lets just say that they make Stephen Jones look like a lifelong Anglesea Terrace fanatic.

A cracking read with some great insights especially from Gerard Meagher. Here's his profile from the Guardian:

Gerard Meagher is a rugby union reporter for the Guardian and Observer. Born in the UK to parents from Ireland and New Zealand, he is happy to switch allegiances whenever suits. You can follow him on Twitter @gerard_meagher
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

enby wrote:Whatever you do, don't click on the link below as it contains the views of 4 Guardian hacks on the highs and lows of European club rugby this season. Lets just say that they make Stephen Jones look like a lifelong Anglesea Terrace fanatic.

Who exactly are newcastle and since when does england count as europe?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Deano won coach of the year; therefore, Newcastle are the best team. Simples

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

It's the Guardian FFS! The Daily Mail of the Globalist Liberal Elite.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Hornet wrote:It's the Guardian FFS! The Daily Mail of the Globalist Liberal Elite.
Just no. No it's not. You could argue it's the Torygraph for liberals but the Torygraph is deranged by the rift in the far right in England at the moment (see for example their attempt to start a war with Spain last Summer to preserve the democratic will of the people of Gibraltar) and also publishes genuine nonsense as "science". In that sense it is comparable to the Mail.

But the Grauniad's rugby coverage is dire. Read the Torygraph for that
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Jones is a Scarlets fan.
Therefore we didn't win the final, Scarlets lost it.
Ditto the S/F.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Hornet wrote:You will get more sense reading tea leaves at the bottom of a cup, than some of the appalling reporting that appears in the Press.
I tried that ( the tea leaf thing). Didn't make any sense I'm sorry to report.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.