A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Dave Cahill »

Hey, anything that distracts from the fact that Munster have not improved one iota in the last 12 months is a good thing
I have Bumbleflex
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Munster are the prodical son and we are the other more succesful one
Exactly
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

The idea that GT hates Leinster is ridiculous. He's done well to seem mostly impartial over the years. He'd happily jump into bed with any of the 4 provinces if it meant adding to his bible of cliches. The Reggie story to open was particularly redundant though. But then Gerry had always been about playing to the crowd. He even went out of his way before to moan about English players wearing boots with their initials stitched in, or that they're white. I can't remember.

As for the intensity comment, he sold it all week as being the biggest derby in world rugby. He would like idiot if He admitted the teams were holding something back and the rivalry is a bit dull now.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

NAAN-DO-LO
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

blockhead wrote:Andrew Dunne on Newstalk today was excellent. Cummisky is gone and long forgotten, already. Maybe he'll become a regular.
Andy Dunne is indeed excellent. Impresses on all levels; technical knowledge, communication skills, psychological understanding. Best addition to Newtalk rugby coverage in years.

Don't agree with the seeming consensus here that Newstalk is at fault in this hissy fit with the IT. As they say, there's two of them in it. Hook is a buffoon; but Fintan O'Toole is a sanctimonious blow-hard who decided to take a pop at the station at a whole because it didn't fit his very particular world view.

NewsTalk is one of the few radio stations to treat the focus of our passion- sport, generally, and rugby in particular with the seriousness and thoroughness it deserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

artaneboy wrote:
blockhead wrote:Andrew Dunne on Newstalk today was excellent. Cummisky is gone and long forgotten, already. Maybe he'll become a regular.
Andy Dunne is indeed excellent. Impresses on all levels; technical knowledge, communication skills, psychological understanding. Best addition to Newtalk rugby coverage in years.

Don't agree with the seeming consensus here that Newstalk is at fault in this hissy fit with the IT. As they say, there's two of them in it. Hook is a buffoon; but Fintan O'Toole is a sanctimonious blow-hard who decided to take a pop at the station at a whole because it didn't fit his very particular world view.

NewsTalk is one of the few radio stations to treat the focus of our passion- sport, generally, and rugby in particular with the seriousness and thoroughness it deserves.

Anything that keeps Cummisky off the airwaves is a good thing.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

artaneboy wrote:

That is not always true. For rugby. Last week's podcast from the Aviva featuring Oisin Langan was a pisstake. OTB would never treat their football or GAA listeners to a production as appalling as that. The continued presence of Gav Cummiskey also showed how little they cared for accuracy and good analysis in their rugby shows.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

A whiff of Cordite

Post by artaneboy »

suisse wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

That is not always true. For rugby. Last week's podcast from the Aviva featuring Oisin Langan was a pisstake. OTB would never treat their football or GAA listeners to a production as appalling as that. The continued presence of Gav Cummiskey also showed how little they cared for accuracy and good analysis in their rugby shows.
Of course I'm not saying there aren't examples when they fail. But they bloody well try and seem to care. Unlike others.

Personally I have a limited tolerance for Joe O'Toole's well-spoken ingenue bit, but on balance they are what drives a much more inclusive coverage of sports.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Gerry Thornley @ gerrythornley
Huge shits by so many Leinster forwards. Brave without and with the ball. An immense win and 5-1 split is way better than a draw and 3-2.
14/10/2017, 15.23
He edited it later but the damage was done. :lol:
Ollie le Roux would have been proud.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Anyone listen to MNR with Andy Dunne and Toland?
Got really into the weeds about a lot of things, brilliant stuff. Inordinately more insight than Cummiskey, EOS and Wood would give in four weeks worth of appearances on OTB.

Dunne is actually a very good analyst. Been listening to him quite a bit recently.

And Toland can be a bit of a flute at times but I'm actually starting to like him too.

Get D'arce onto WNR now and OTB will be laughing.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone listening to second captains since they went paywall?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Nope. Not at all. And I used to listen every week. Do they still do a non paywall episode?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:Nope. Not at all. And I used to listen every week. Do they still do a non paywall episode?
Yes. The two Monday episodes are free.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

cormac wrote:
johng wrote:Nope. Not at all. And I used to listen every week. Do they still do a non paywall episode?
Yes. The two Monday episodes are free.
Yeah listened to those Monday freebies for a while but it always seemed very, very light on the rugby coverage
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

premium member worth every cent too IMO.

although relying on gerry for rugby coverage is :(
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I think Gerry is the best and most competent irish rugby journo out there. Best researched too.

Not without his faults but who is?

I downloaded one of the epps after the paywall and it was just an ad for the pay ones.

There is so much content out there I couldn't be arsed. As I have no interest in soccer or most otber sports I tend to stick with rugby only stuff.

Maybe I'll give them another go as you can't get gerry on nt any more
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

johng wrote: I downloaded one of the epps after the paywall and it was just an ad for the pay ones.
That's a little harsh, has there really been a 45 minute ep that was just an ad for the paywall pods? I'm a subscriber and think it's well worth the (absolutely minimal) cost. It's about a million times better than the awful OTB.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

:? Why would it have to be a 45 min epp?
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

johng wrote::? Why would it have to be a 45 min epp?
30 min, 40 min, whatever. You said 'one of the eps' that was 'just an ad'. It's really not that important - yes they promoted their paywall pods, but not to that great an extent.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote:Anyone listen to MNR with Andy Dunne and Toland?
Got really into the weeds about a lot of things, brilliant stuff. Inordinately more insight than Cummiskey, EOS and Wood would give in four weeks worth of appearances on OTB.

Dunne is actually a very good analyst. Been listening to him quite a bit recently.

And Toland can be a bit of a flute at times but I'm actually starting to like him too.

Get D'arce onto WNR now and OTB will be laughing.
+1 on Andy Dunne.

A breath of fresh air imho