Durt!
Gotta make a livin
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
nc6000
Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by nc6000 »

I see Gavin Cummiskey in The Irish Times today saying "since the Bloodgate scandal an enforced sub cannot place kick". Obviously I'm familiar with Bloodgate and its fallout as I was at the game but were any laws actually changed as a result?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3379619
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

nc6000 wrote:I see Gavin Cummiskey in The Irish Times today saying "since the Bloodgate scandal an enforced sub cannot place kick". Obviously I'm familiar with Bloodgate and its fallout as I was at the game but were any laws actually changed as a result?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3379619
It's certainly part of the laws around HIAs.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Murray Kinsella has gotten confirmation from World Rugby that replacements can take place-kicks, the protocol was amended last year.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

While we are here, didnt Nige order off the French 10 for a HIA on instruction from the match doctor? But yet theres a lot of rabble rousing over it?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

The first one Nigel called so the doctor went along. The Grauniad piece suggested that a hand gesture was misinterpreted by the pitch side doctor who was not in direct contact with the ref for the second and once it's called it ain't being changed. Given how bad he was throughout I wouldn't be surprised!

Don't think it was the fault of the French anyway.

Also, bet they regret not having Machenaud kick as they were entitled to.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Can we put to bed the myth that Nigel continues to be one of the worlds best ref's?

He was at one stage but I hate him reffing games where I am "invested" as he has made far too many crucial bad calls. The scrum penalty in Dunedin(??) the call against McGrath in "that" match in LR and the Kearney decision on Saturday are three that springs to mind. I'd much prefer Poite to ref games that Leinster/Ireland are involved in.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the spoofer wrote:Can we put to bed the myth that Nigel continues to be one of the worlds best ref's?

He was at one stage but I hate him reffing games where I am "invested" as he has made far too many crucial bad calls. The scrum penalty in Dunedin(??) the call against McGrath in "that" match in LR and the Kearney decision on Saturday are three that springs to mind. I'd much prefer Poite to ref games that Leinster/Ireland are involved in.
He does seem to shy away from the whistle in close games/final stages

Cheers 433
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

the spoofer wrote:Can we put to bed the myth that Nigel continues to be one of the worlds best ref's?

I've been preaching this in an empty church since the time he got the call wrong against McGrath which cost us a win against NZ. BOD would have had his white whale landed but for that
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RoboProp wrote:

I've been preaching this in an empty church since the time he got the call wrong against McGrath which cost us a win against NZ. BOD would have had his white whale landed but for that
Yeah that was an awful decision.
We'd been bossing them all day in the scrum.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Mentioned this one recently but the Aussie game where the ball hit a low flying camera wire and shouldve been an immediate scrum. Hes rugbys Herb Dean.

Hes still great for non clutch games, truly the Simon Zebo of refs :)
I just dont think hes the best of the best any more.

That said, hes still probably best non French European ref
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

On against the head they said, and showed footage of, a French player pointing to th head and calling for Owens to blow it up.

Not his fault then, my apologies. That's the second KIA (knee injury) I'm referring to.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by the spoofer

Can we put to bed the myth that Nigel continues to be one of the worlds best ref's?

My favorite Owens moment was Kieran Read punching Sean O'Brien no more than 5 metres from Owens in Dunedin who told him to 'go easy'. It should have being a straight Red for Read and a yellow for O'Brien for hitting back. Like I said before Owens is not a good ref it's just the least sh*t one we have right now. I personally think that Mitrea is under-rated.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

simonokeeffe wrote: Hes still great for non clutch games, truly the Simon Zebo of refs :)
Classic! Most appropriate description ever :D
Dont Panic!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Oldschool wrote:
RoboProp wrote:

Yeah that was an awful decision.
We'd been bossing them all day in the scrum.
It wasn't a scrum penalty, it was a nonsense penalty with 10 seconds to go for going off his feet at the ruck.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Didnt he shaft us in NZ with a bad scrum call? Possibli under Deccie?
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

simonokeeffe wrote:Didnt he shaft us in NZ with a bad scrum call? Possibli under Deccie?
Yes - here you go.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... lacks.html
A proud Winsome Fluter
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Didnt he shaft us in NZ with a bad scrum call? Possibli under Deccie?
Yes - here you go.

A week later they beat us 60-0 in Hamilton, the heaviest ever defeat of the Irish national team. That was the beginning of the end of Deccie's regime. Remember him calling up Paddy Wallace from his holliers to take on Sunny Bill, instead of selecting Darren Cave? Remember him subsequently stripping BO'D of the captaincy for question aspects of the coaching, thereby putting Jamie in an invidious position? It was all downhill from there........
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Yes - here you go.

Yeah that was the one I was thinking of.
Totally screwed us that day.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.