A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by ronk »

From those stats what jumps out is that Connacht and Ulster are getting great value out of 22 year old outhalves who didn't get a shot in Munster. 22 games between them so far this season.

Connacht should sign Healy or Flannery.

There are 2 Leinster outhalves in the Ireland squad and we can expect that going forward. Frawley is in a great position.

Munster had to keep Bleyandaal because they couldn't lose him and Keatley at the same time.
Plámásing
Beginner

Post by Plámásing »

Connacht don’t need Healy or Flannery they already have Conor Dean who looked up to the task when he played SCT with Doris. It’s “don’t lose a game at all costs” approach that prevents these provinces playing their youngsters. Healy should be getting more game time at Munster in the next season or two but it’s the reluctance to allow players usurp their elders that is leading to stagnation in player development. It decreases competition in the squad. They should operate under the mantra if you’re good enough you’re old enough
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... relegation

Saracens going down for definite it seems.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

A good day for Geordan Murphy and Declan Kidney.
Stephen Jones, not a good day.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

D4surfer wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... relegation

Another 35 points deduction might be enough to relegate them but it could be a damn close run thing.
Saracens have -7-35 = -42.
8 games played, 14 remaining.
14 * 5 = 70 Saracens would be well capable of winning every game and getting a TBP if the pressure was really on.
70-42 = 28
28 points that's the target for the other teams to beat to avoid relegation.
Looking at Leicester's performance to date it could be a very close race for survival.
The unknowable would be, would other PRL teams "give" Leicester points if they "needed" then.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Saracens won't get 70pts. They'll lose their best players for the 6N for starters.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Oldschool wrote:
D4surfer wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... relegation

Another 35 points deduction might be enough to relegate them but it could be a damn close run thing.
Saracens have -7-35 = -42.
8 games played, 14 remaining.
14 * 5 = 70 Saracens would be well capable of winning every game and getting a TBP if the pressure was really on.
70-42 = 28
28 points that's the target for the other teams to beat to avoid relegation.
Looking at Leicester's performance to date it could be a very close race for survival.
The unknowable would be, would other PRL teams "give" Leicester points if they "needed" then.
The other unknowable would be the collective psychological effect this will have on the squad particularly if there is a cull coming down the line. Commitment to the cause may waver as players are cut.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

A lot of crying on twitter from sarries fans about the fact that irish and French wage bills are way higher than 7mill. I know the French are but does anyone have a rough idea what our wage bill looks like with the IRFU paid players included? I know people hear the word 45 players used but a lot are on academy contracts which helps us somewhat
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Theleinsterlad wrote:A lot of crying on twitter from sarries fans about the fact that irish and French wage bills are way higher than 7mill. I know the French are but does anyone have a rough idea what our wage bill looks like with the IRFU paid players included? I know people hear the word 45 players used but a lot are on academy contracts which helps us somewhat
Most English Clubs wage bills are higher than 7 million. Thats only the base figure. There are add-ons for academy players, England Internationals, education, and nominated Marquee Players aren't counted towards the salary cap at all. A top club with lots of England Internationals and homegrown players could probably have a completely legal wage bill closer to 10-11 million than 7.

All we know is that the IRFU spends c.45 million on the entire professional game (40 million of which is player and management costs) and a further 11 million on elite player development (incl. womens rugby, sevens, u20s, academies and the High Performance Unit)
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Whether the salary cap is fair in terms of European competition is immaterial. It is relevant in the top tier of the English league and is decided on by those cl
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-radi ... ever-pro14

A suggestion that Saracens could join the Pro14.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Just listened to the BBC 5 rugby podcast recorded at Allianz Park yesterday evening after the Racing match. Brendan Venter was spouting the Planet Saracen line full bore. According to him, Sarries' difficulties are solely attributable to Nigel Ray's "kindness"; plus the "Wolfpack" is gonna stick together, spend a season bonding even further underneath the Prem only to return bigger, meaner, tougher whatever..... Yeah, right. Ar aon nós the Fez heads are currently nurturing a pathological sense of victimhood. Dare I say "Dolchstoßlegende"? It could make them more dangerous in April than they already are....
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Trust the Germans to have a word for that!

They can't stick together unless they're willing to eat enormous paycuts. And if they're willing to do that then why didn't they do it this year and avoid relegation? I'm not sure Brendan Venter understands the root of the problem here!

There's a chance of some ill feeling amongst the English players during the Six Nations. I'd say Eddie will be well on top of that, but if he isn't it'll only add to the desperation of da wolfpack(tm) to get back playing in black in March.

By the way, I've no idea whether this is true but I keep seeing people say on twitter & facebook that teams must be within the premiership salary cap for two years prior to earning promotion.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

I was listening to The Ruck podcast yesterday and Lawrence Dallaglio (Currently a director of Wasps) was saying that the current rules of Premiership salary cap state that a team being promoted from the championship must be compliant with the cap in the season they were promoted but also in the preceding season. If that rule is upheld then it's possible that Saracens may have to spend 2 years in the Championship as we know that they are not compliant this season!!

As a side note, Stephen Jones is usually a contributor to the podcast but hasn't been on it in about 3 weeks!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

A whiff of Cordite

Post by Twist »

Here’s a couple of tweets hinting at why he’s not on it these days. I guess everyone else is blocked.
Apologies if I’ve sized the images incorrectly.

I didn’t realise he wasn’t on it. I might listen to it now

Last edited by Twist on January 21st, 2020, 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

A whiff of Cordite

Post by Twist »

Last edited by Twist on January 21st, 2020, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Apparently, no one but him has any choice in whether he’s on it or not!

locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Twist wrote:Apparently, no one but him has any choice in whether he’s on it or not!

I listened to the Episode when the story broke and he was in complete denial there was any wrongdoing, the rest of them were aghast at his position and called him out on it. He kept referring to a quote from the report trying to justify this position. Tensions were certainly high between himself and Dallaglio to the point where they didn't appear together on the POD for the next 2-3 weeks. Now could've been scheduling but was nice to think they'd had a proper falling out over it.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

locho wrote:I listened to the Episode when the story broke and he was in complete denial there was any wrongdoing, the rest of them were aghast at his position and called him out on it. He kept referring to a quote from the report trying to justify this position. Tensions were certainly high between himself and Dallaglio to the point where they didn't appear together on the POD for the next 2-3 weeks. Now could've been scheduling but was nice to think they'd had a proper falling out over it.
Which epidose/date was that? I'd like to have a listen :mullet 1:
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

locho wrote:I was listening to The Ruck podcast yesterday and Lawrence Dallaglio (Currently a director of Wasps) was saying that the current rules of Premiership salary cap state that a team being promoted from the championship must be compliant with the cap in the season they were promoted but also in the preceding season. If that rule is upheld then it's possible that Saracens may have to spend 2 years in the Championship as we know that they are not compliant this season!!

As a side note, Stephen Jones is usually a contributor to the podcast but hasn't been on it in about 3 weeks!
I've seen this mentioned on Twitter by a few individuals. I heard it referenced obtusely on TheRugbyPod this morning. If true, it is the biggest bombshell of all. If true, I can't understand why this isn't the biggest story out there. There is no way you hold on to any players for 2 years!!! Anyone got a definite source on this?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference