A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Edna Kenny
Graduate

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Edna Kenny »

Last edited by Edna Kenny on December 27th, 2017, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

He's a tool. And he doesn't like keyboard warriors. The only thing in his favour is that I'm pretty sure he doesn't write his own articles, or at least doesn't write some of them, as his column has directly contradicted itself on consecutive weeks more than once (indicating two or more different staffers have responsibility for writing it). I don't think even Tony would be addled enough to do that.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He writes it for the derby because it would be disrespectful not to.

It was great motivation for our guys to lay down a marker. We should probably be glad of his hubris.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:He's a tool. And he doesn't like keyboard warriors. The only thing in his favour is that I'm pretty sure he doesn't write his own articles, or at least doesn't write some of them, as his column has directly contradicted itself on consecutive weeks more than once (indicating two or more different staffers have responsibility for writing it). I don't think even Tony would be addled enough to do that.
as somebody who has ghostwritten columns I can safely say I doubt the sub editor reads them either

cant remember who in IT had a big column but at the end of it said 'in conversation with Gerry Thornley', used to think it was a rip off but now I think thats actually a decent way to work these things
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Was that Gerry Thornley's own column?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Was that Gerry Thornley's own column?
:)

Gerry its me Gerry, will we go for pints, assuredly

Think it was Donal Spring
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?"

Never thought of the alternative meaning of that word in context, until now.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
"Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?"

Never thought of the alternative meaning of that word in context, until now.
The Mirror, both loved and adored, who graces this messageboard, from time to time, would never associate itself with or allow itself to be associated with any tabloid rag.
Cease and desist.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Was it it continually peddled that Munster v Leinster "is the greatest fixture in club rugby?" Says who? I remember going to games in Donnybrook with my dad and 700 people were at it. Where I live, there are plenty of people from rugby backgrounds in New Zealand, Australia and SA. Over the course of 8 years, I noticed that the vast majority of those I got to know have no knowledge of this fixture at all. 8 years is a decent sample size but when the big 3 from the SH have for many decades not respected or cared about Irish rugby, it is very hard to believe that our main provincial game is the biggest in the world. Ask someone from Cape Town, and they'll tell you Stormers v Bulls is. Or from NZ, Crusaders v Blues etc.

Cullen hads a squad and He's fully entitled to use it as best he wants. It is none of Tony's business. The hardy rugby blokes in Waikato, Bloemfontein and Brisbane were hardly furious by his selection
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Rugby press readers in Ireland can breathe a collective sigh of relief: Murray Kinsella is back.
First up: a James Lowe analysis http://www.the42.ie/analysis-leinster-j ... 3-Jan2018/
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone hear newstalks Sean O'Brien interview? Car crash, reporter pressing him on thoughts on contact/head collision and Gatland brutal stuff.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

TerenureJim wrote:Anyone hear newstalks Sean O'Brien interview? Car crash, reporter pressing him on thoughts on contact/head collision and Gatland brutal stuff.
And he kept asking the same/almost the same question over and over. "Is that the toughest part about playing sports?"
theghost
Learner

Post by theghost »

Neil Francis at his "gushing best", shure the rest of the rugby world might as well give up now

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 57293.html
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Laighin Break wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Anyone hear newstalks Sean O'Brien interview? Car crash, reporter pressing him on thoughts on contact/head collision and Gatland brutal stuff.
And he kept asking the same/almost the same question over and over. "Is that the toughest part about playing sports?"
You could mark the interviewer down for this and that but I thought Seanie was more responsible for the lack of spark in the interview. He came across as a cross between 'I am above all this' and just bored. He nearly snorted derision when the interviewer put in a reference to the sponsors (Lifestyle Sports) who were the reason why he was out doing interviews. A great player but not bothered with the media stuff really and clearly not planning on aking it as a pundit when the playing days are done.

The same interviewer was the one who got the Gatland remarks from Seanie, although I suspect that was more down to Seanie's openness/arrogance/leting the guard down/c~*k up than the journalist's interview skills.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Think I heard parts of it. Was it the one where he kept asking about his age and how he needs to look after his body/accept that he'll be rested? He seemed to completely ignore the fact that SOB is injured, it was infuriating. Every time I thought he was moving on he'd just ask it in a different way, surprised SOB didn't snap tbh.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

The Gavin Cummiskey match report in the IT: patronising, arrogant, and offensive. I could do without that.

Yes Ulster were badly beaten, but surely the IT should try to be above shite like that?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

fourthirtythree wrote:The Gavin Cummiskey match report in the IT: patronising, arrogant, and offensive. I could do without that.

Yes Ulster were badly beaten, but surely the IT should try to be above shite like that?
+1
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

To us or ulster or both?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Slightly hard to listen to at times, but some interesting tidbits in this podcast with Luke F and Heaslip.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 75089.html

Interesting to hear them calling out Ferg as a trainer and the professionalism that Heaslip practices.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

6 months after he signed on a one year deal Steroid Gobbler is suddenly a controversial signing