A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought the same about Monye when he first started commentating but he's grown on me a lot. He can be very insightful whilst still throwing in a howler in every game.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I’m shocked by the number of people saying Marley was trying to “defuse the situation”

First it requires us to believe that Joe Marler wanted to calm things down. Yes, that Joe Marler.

Then we have to believe that he thought the best way to do that was to fondle the testicles of the calmest man in the whole schemozzle.

Like, imagine seeing a fight outside a nightclub and thinking to yourself “This is getting out of hand. I better grope someone to calm everyone down.”
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Twist wrote:I’m shocked by the number of people saying Marley was trying to “defuse the situation”

First it requires us to believe that Joe Marler wanted to calm things down. Yes, that Joe Marler.

Then we have to believe that he thought the best way to do that was to fondle the testicles of the calmest man in the whole schemozzle.

Like, imagine seeing a fight outside a nightclub and thinking to yourself “This is getting out of hand. I better grope someone to calm everyone down.”
Marler is a wind-up merchant on the pitch. I don't think he's a terrible guy at all, in fact I think he comes across as quite a genuine chap for the most part, but he's a wind-up merchant.

I'm like you Twist, in that I can't get over the number of people who are, metaphorically speaking, choosing to die on this hill. Will Carling is one who springs to mind. There are so many old English farts on his Twitter account giving out about how patting lad's balls is part of the spirit of the game, and it's a disaster if you can't pat an opponent's balls anymore. What the absolute f*ck. You f*cking weirdos.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Absolutely, I don’t think he’s a malicious person by nature but he’s a total wind-up merchant and he’s playing in an environment where those instinct won’t exactly be reigned in
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I agree, that Marler was trying to wind Wyn-Jones up and that he deserved to be punished for what he did. I do however think what Tuilagi did to North was worse and should have received a heavier penalty. IMO, Eddie Jones should have been cited too for criticising the red card and claiming England at the end were playing against 16 men. That's scurrilous.

As I see it Marler is acting the maggot; unacceptable behaviour absolutely, but not on the same level as Tuilagi's reckless shoulder charge to the head of an opposing player that potentially could have ended North's career or even in extremis have left him in a wheelchair or killed the guy. Whatever happened to responsibility to protect? A lot of the "hits" - many of them late - we see these days, which are ignored if not lauded and get posted on YouTube, are more damaging than the stupid touchy feely Marler inflicted on AWJ.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

It certainly ends on a cliffhanger :wink:
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Really ?? .... so there is one sucker that pays for the alleged ‘premium ‘ content ?? :lol:
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

alanair wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Really ?? .... so there is one sucker that pays for the alleged ‘premium ‘ content ?? :lol:
Show Spoiler:
He fears another cavity search on the subject of what happened with England in a previous lifetime.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Not worth €2:50 to read
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

"Simon Zebo: ‘It’s been tough not being able to put my hand up to play with Ireland’
Former Munster star has zero regrets with his decision to switch his life and rugby to Paris"

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4219359

Nothing against the guy, but these stories are getting really tiring now.

I know we are in a period were rugby journalists have no games to report on.

But surely they could turn there hand to writing more interesting stories like whats WR, unions doing to help rugby or pieces on the AIL and its issues.
BOD is GOD!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

INDO's ROC is bringing up the oul NFL Draft idea again. "An NFL draft-style system could help address the imbalance in Irish rugby"
Behind the pay wall of course.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

In fairness to him, he really works for his soup
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

blockhead wrote:INDO's ROC is bringing up the oul NFL Draft idea again. "An NFL draft-style system could help address the imbalance in Irish rugby"
It's amazing how the 'power of identity' was weaponised by the media when Munster were successful in the 2000s (and the alleged lack of it used to hammer Leinster), but now suddenly we need to largely abandon provincial identities and embrace a draft, mainly because Munster can't produce their own players in large enough numbers...
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

neiliog93 wrote:
blockhead wrote:INDO's ROC is bringing up the oul NFL Draft idea again. "An NFL draft-style system could help address the imbalance in Irish rugby"
It's amazing how the 'power of identity' was weaponised by the media when Munster were successful in the 2000s (and the alleged lack of it used to hammer Leinster), but now suddenly we need to largely abandon provincial identities and embrace a draft, mainly because Munster can't produce their own players in large enough numbers...
This is never going to happen.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

hugonaut wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:
This is never going to happen.
What, Munster producing their own players in sufficient quality or quantity? :mullet 2:
Anyone But New Zealand
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

in fairness munster are starting to produce more players of sufficient quality... just need to do it consistently.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just noticed yesterday, a new posting by Demented Mole.

As always an excellent piece.

https://dementedmole.com/2020/04/24/jan ... front-row/
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 08143.html

"Prop Idol"..........

I certainly will not pay to read this but I presume it's the usual nonsense.