A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:All GAA members are subject to the Irish Sports Council rules on doping which have been integrated wholesale into the rulebook
Less than a hundred GAA players were tested last year, thats not just inter county, out of how many?
Thats an average of less than two per team per year even if it was just intercounty

@LaighinBreak Ive witnessed it first hand more than once. And I have first hand accounts from others too. Not saying teams or clubs that I or others have seen at it or partied with as that gives it away so youre going to have to trust me
Thats up to the Sports Council - they tend to weight their resources towards sports like Athletics and Cycling where doping is pretty much endemic at the elite levels. The GAA with its huge number of non-elite participants would be pretty much near the bottom of the list in terms of those resources.
Yeah theyve stated they see rugby as medium risk and gaa as low risk; more rugby players get tested numbers wise

Its generally the tier below pro set up where there seems to be the risk of PEDs eg look at all the Welsh club players popping

It would be very easy in GAA even at intercounty level to dope to help an injury heal or get through a specific game
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

good interview here with Dr Una May, the Director of Participation and Ethics for Sport Ireland.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othe ... 66054.html
“Rugby would always be considered on the higher end of risk purely because of the physicality of the sport,” she says. “We’d be very aware of the physiological profile of players and it shows a much greater emphasis on strength and bulk.”
“Within the context rugby is fairly highly tested,” says May. “The IRFU is the only governing body that pays for tests in addition to the national programme.”
“We’re quite targeted in rugby. We don’t go in and look for random players. We generally go in with a player in mind to test.”
While figures are not yet available for 2017, Sport Ireland conducted 113 tests on rugby players in 2016 (out of a total of 1002 tests), making it the third most tested sport behind athletics (250) and cycling (155).
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:All GAA members are subject to the Irish Sports Council rules on doping which have been integrated wholesale into the rulebook
Less than a hundred GAA players were tested last year, thats not just inter county, out of how many?
Thats an average of less than two per team per year even if it was just intercounty

@LaighinBreak Ive witnessed it first hand more than once. And I have first hand accounts from others too. Not saying teams or clubs that I or others have seen at it or partied with as that gives it away so youre going to have to trust me
Anecdotal evidence so? Having attended a GAA school, played GAA and knowing plenty of GAA players (playing at all levels), and not seen/heard this at all I won't be trusting you that there's "a huge recreational drug problem".
Sure it's in the media lately how ridiculous the demands on intercounty players are, can't even have a touch of alcohol most of the year.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Dave Cahill wrote: The GAA with its huge number of non-elite participants
Ah here, leave the Cork football team alone
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

enby wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: The GAA with its huge number of non-elite participants
Ah here, leave the Cork Men's football team alone
:lol:

FTFY
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Laighin Break wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Anecdotal evidence so? Having attended a GAA school, played GAA and knowing plenty of GAA players (playing at all levels), and not seen/heard this at all I won't be trusting you that there's "a huge recreational drug problem".
Sure it's in the media lately how ridiculous the demands on intercounty players are, can't even have a touch of alcohol most of the year.
Thats fair enough. The highest profile teams/players are probably reasonably squeeky. And theres a lot of drugs done by guys in their 20s anyway so it mighnt be worse than general societal levels. Maybe its somewhere between a huge problem and non existant

But the general hand wringingness/holier than thou attitude/you wouldnt get x in the GAA attitude from journalists/pundits is what gets me

Ive seen intercounty teams doing things you wouldnt believe, outside of a party on Freddie Mercury's yacht in Ibiza
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

A whiff of Cordite

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: Less than a hundred GAA players were tested last year, thats not just inter county, out of how many?

Thats fair enough. The highest profile teams/players are probably reasonably squeeky. And theres a lot of drugs done by guys in their 20s anyway so it mighnt be worse than general societal levels. Maybe its somewhere between a huge problem and non existant

But the general hand wringingness/holier than thou attitude/you wouldnt get x in the GAA attitude from journalists/pundits is what gets me

Ive seen intercounty teams doing things you wouldnt believe, outside of a party on Freddie Mercury's yacht in Ibiza
Oh- were you a regular on Freddie’s yacht? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:

Any examples of this Simon? I haven't seen any of that when it comes to recreational or performance enhancing drugs.

I also don't believe that playing one sport means you'll do more recreational drugs, or that one Irish sport has a particular problem in that area. If anything it's a societal issue. What shape ball you play with isn't the determining factor.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

@Artaneboy I was a very precocious toddler

@wjxford never said GAA players did more drugs than anyone else. My point was /what I was getting at/shouldve stuck to is there is a lot of bs moralising/digs at rugby in the media from people from GAA journalists and ex GAA players and the GAA is often used as this moral benchmark in sport when their players are as human as rugby or soccer players
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote: @wjxford never said GAA players did more drugs than anyone else. My point was /what I was getting at/shouldve stuck to is there is a lot of bs moralising/digs at rugby in the media from people from GAA journalists and ex GAA players and the GAA is often used as this moral benchmark in sport when their players are as human as rugby or soccer players
You said the GAA has a "huge recreational drugs problem". So based on that you either you believe it's bigger than other sports or you believe that other sports also have a "huge recreational drugs problem"?

As for your second point, where? From whom?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: @wjxford never said GAA players did more drugs than anyone else. My point was /what I was getting at/shouldve stuck to is there is a lot of bs moralising/digs at rugby in the media from people from GAA journalists and ex GAA players and the GAA is often used as this moral benchmark in sport when their players are as human as rugby or soccer players
You said the GAA has a "huge recreational drugs problem". So based on that you either you believe it's bigger than other sports or you believe that other sports also have a "huge recreational drugs problem"?
You wouldn't agree that rugby has that problem? It certainly does in my experience, and I'm the same as Simon with hearing or seeing things relating to the GAA. That's not my world though so I don't know if it's common (although certainly from two stories I know of I can't imagine that it isn't).
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Newstalks like a dog with a bone today, can we have a whip around to send them a copy of Frozen for the office
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
You wouldn't agree that rugby has that problem? It certainly does in my experience, and I'm the same as Simon with hearing or seeing things relating to the GAA. That's not my world though so I don't know if it's common (although certainly from two stories I know of I can't imagine that it isn't).
As I said above I don't think it's an individual sport that has a problem. It's a societal problem rather than being defined by what ball you play with (or indeed whether you play sport).
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:

Sorry shouldve beeen clearer/huge probably wasnt right word or probably fair. Same drug problem as anything involving lots of guys in their 20s who arent professional athletes

Youre going to call bs on this but am not just saying it, but have heard that on radio/seen it on twitter/in columns a few times but am not digging all that up especially if you want it limited to recreational (class A) drugs. There was loads surrounding Stander and Aki. And no one deserves to re read Joe Brolly :D
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

simonokeeffe wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Sorry shouldve beeen clearer/huge probably wasnt right word or probably fair. Same drug problem as anything involving lots of guys in their 20s who arent professional athletes

Youre going to call bs on this but am not just saying it, but have heard that on radio/seen it on twitter/in columns a few times but am not digging all that up especially if you want it limited to recreational (class A) drugs. There was loads surrounding Stander and Aki. And no one deserves to re read Joe Brolly :D
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't mean quite what you said, and I understand why you might jump to those statements - I'm on a GAA forum where some members are always accusing Irish rugby being full of drugs without any evidence, and just say "you're stupid/naive/blind" if you disagree.
I don't see any drug problem in the GAA and any recreational drug problems that may exist in society, I'd say are lower amongst GAA players (and most sports players).
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:
I sure am.

You're saying that GAA journos/commentators have had 'a lot of moralising/digs at rugby' around recreational drugs?

That isn't true Simon.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Lets all just agree Joe Brolly is a tool

@LRIP theres probably plenty of rugby people that wouldnt believe their clubs players do drugs

@wjxford Im saying they sure have in general and on PEDs

On a general note its always tricky comparing the the 2 as ones pro and one isnt, is the closest comparison AIL to intercounty etc

This ones easy to google but BBC Wales have reported loads of cases of club rugby players popping for PEDs. Thats the level in rugby where the drugs of both kinds are by far the most likely to be
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

simonokeeffe wrote:Lets all just agree Joe Brolly is a tool

@LRIP theres probably plenty of rugby people that wouldnt believe their clubs players do drugs

On a general note its always tricky comparing the the 2 as ones pro and one isnt, is the closest comparison AIL to intercounty etc

This ones easy to google but BBC Wales have reported loads of cases of club rugby players popping for PEDs. Thats the level in rugby where the drugs of both kinds are by far the most likely to be
I'd say it'd be an insult to the GAA to compare AIL to intercounty!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Can you give even one example of a GAA journo having a pop at rugby over recreational drug usage?

(You keep interchanging PEDs and recreational drugs btw, very different things.)
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:

Can you give even one example of a GAA journo having a pop at rugby over recreational drug usage?

(You keep interchanging PEDs and recreational drugs btw, very different things.)
Depends on what kind of performance you are trying to enhance but tbh drugs in sport and drugs in life are both huge issues.
I've lost almost complete interest in watching the Olympics because of "neanderthal"(nanodrolone - or takeitalone) usage.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.