A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Oldschool wrote:If Deegan is the next car off the rank then that might explain why Doris is getting the nod.
Alternatively Leo might prefer that Doris move North and is boosting the chances of this happening by giving Doris the nod.
Place your money and make your bets.
Leo doesn't want to lose anyone. Leinster spend enough time and effort selecting guys for the Academy each year that losing even one to another Province is a huge waste of investment.

Consider:
* 50 U.16s monitored in each of 5 Areas (including Metro); 250
* 50 U.17s in each Area; 250
* 50 U.18s in each area; 250
* c.150 Schoolboys @ U.16,17 & 18 monitored continually; 150
* Sub-Academy with c. 25-30 p.a.; 30

Those numbers are the minimum that are being monitored by local Club / School and Branch Development personnel on at least a monthly basis. That takes expertise, time and effort and a lot of paperwork and administration. The annual outcome is c. 7-9 new Academy entrants for a 3 / 4 year Programme, although the IRFU now only allow one-year contracts.

Losing anyone of those Academy entrants, except to promotion to a Leinster Development or full Contract, is the waste of four or five years of unique work, possibly without even the opportunity to go back and find the guys who might have made the grade somewhere along the line, but were surpassed by the player you have just lost to another Province or overseas Club.

No, I just can't accept the notion that any one in Leinster is willingly directing any Academy player to another Club, at least until they have completed their full Academy Programme.
Thanks for the breakdown and analysis.
The significant word is "willingly".
So assume Leo has a gun to his head.
Assume also that Doris = Deegan apart from age.
Which of them should Leo release assuming he even has a say.
My own feeling would be Doris in that it might be easier to back fill his loss from the "academy" pool.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's quite motivating for recruits that the best of the rest can get changes at downstream provinces and are held in high enough regard that they often jump any queue.

Deegan and Doris both have a future at the club and both will prosper in our systems and environment.

They are young rapidly developing players and their depth situations are not so bad. Leinster lost Heaslip and Murphy and effectively SOB. Penny is the only backrow in the Academy and he isnt a threat.

We mightn't be able to keep everyone but we shouldn't accept that we will lose the best prospects.

There are 5 players whose clear best position is 7, Penny and SOB probably not getting huge gametime and Connors gone for the season. There are 5 players for the other positions plus Fardy.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:It's quite motivating for recruits that the best of the rest can get changes at downstream provinces and are held in high enough regard that they often jump any queue.

Deegan and Doris both have a future at the club and both will prosper in our systems and environment.

They are young rapidly developing players and their depth situations are not so bad. Leinster lost Heaslip and Murphy and effectively SOB. Penny is the only backrow in the Academy and he isnt a threat.

We mightn't be able to keep everyone but we shouldn't accept that we will lose the best prospects.

There are 5 players whose clear best position is 7, Penny and SOB probably not getting huge gametime and Connors gone for the season. There are 5 players for the other positions plus Fardy.
Had forgotten about Fardy.
All the more reason we need to keep our top end talent.
Obviously Leocas want one/both of them to be able to play 6 as well.
Feck off Jocifora you've already got your pound of flesh.
Think a revisit of RTBs strength in depth is needed.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We have 9 senior backrows. Ulster and Munster have 8, Connacht have 9.

Given our injury profile and international squads we are close to underresourced.

Most of the excess backrow talent we developed was moved on a while back.

If we have to lose a 6/8 we'll be signing someone in 2/3 years.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Off the ball's anti-leinsterness is ridiculous at this stage. :lol:
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Plus another bullshit article from Ruadhri O'Connor. https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 94395.html

Full of half truths, inaccuracies, one sided.... contract, contract, contract, contract, contract, and contract. I don't recall much validity being place on a certain 'contract' last year.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I heard a few minutes of OTB the other day and was surprised by ROC saying that nobody knew about Boyle before pre season and the same for Tom Farrell before he started performing for Connacht. I know that neither were household names and that this place isn't exactly representative of the average fan but I would have thought they were pretty well known.

I bet Murray Kinsella would have known about them anyway!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

desperado wrote:Plus another bullshit article from Ruadhri O'Connor. https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 94395.html

Full of half truths, inaccuracies, one sided.... contract, contract, contract, contract, contract, and contract. I don't recall much validity being place on a certain 'contract' last year.
Scratching my head about which bits are half truths and which are inaccuracies. And what bits are one sided given it's an article about Connacht mainly. Most of the article is made up of direct quotes from Andy Friend.

Are you suggesting that a certain person was given more money to move provinces mid contract last summer?
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

johng wrote:Scratching my head about which bits are half truths and which are inaccuracies. And what bits are one sided given it's an article about Connacht mainly. Most of the article is made up of direct quotes from Andy Friend.
I was thinking exactly the same.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I heard a few minutes of OTB the other day and was surprised by ROC saying that nobody knew about Boyle before pre season and the same for Tom Farrell before he started performing for Connacht. I know that neither were household names and that this place isn't exactly representative of the average fan but I would have thought they were pretty well known.

While I remember Tom Farrell in the Leinster Academy (and remember he didn't get much if any senior playing time) I don't remember Paul Boyle and can't say I'd heard of him before this season.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He was the Ireland under 20 captain though!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He was the Ireland under 20 captain though!
Exactly, ROC himself had to have mentioned him in articles last year, unless he does not write his own pieces or just copies names from lists.

It is a nice story line that these players are ignored, overlooked and plucked from obscurity it just is not true. He literally had two of the most promising number 8's who are within two years of his age ahead of him at Leinster, fair play to Connacht for snapping up the opportunity and then actually playing him so soon but they did not find him hidden under a bush somewhere on the back roads of Gorey.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

spent two years in leinster sub-academy, played AIL at 19 for Lansdowne, was a fixture for Ireland u20 during 6 nations and ended up captaining Ireland u20 at JWC.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Shows how much attention I paid to the 20s that season :D
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I heard a few minutes of OTB the other day and was surprised by ROC saying that nobody knew about Boyle before pre season and the same for Tom Farrell before he started performing for Connacht. I know that neither were household names and that this place isn't exactly representative of the average fan but I would have thought they were pretty well known.

You know it.
Here's the ever good Murray Kinsella on Tom Farrell at the start of this season (and reviewing his last excellent season):
https://www.the42.ie/tom-farrell-connac ... 3-Aug2018/
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

mildlyinterested wrote:Off the ball's anti-leinsterness is ridiculous at this stage. :lol:
It seems like that guy Joe wants people to stop watching and attending Pro14 games. He mentions most Pro14 weeks that the clubs aren't playing their full strength sides every time and that people won't want to pay money if they won't see Sexton et al.
This week he said (paraphrasing) 'many Leinster fans must have been sitting there saying "What's the point"'. Or maybe we support the team and not just the top players.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Tbf the game on Saturday was pretty sh!t. The defence for COB's try summed it up, it was a non event.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Tbf the game on Saturday was pretty sh!t. The defence for COB's try summed it up, it was a non event.
Granted, but they shouldn't be running down the league every opportunity they get. There's a degree of negativeness in media coverage of Irish rugby that's hard to fathom.
Dont Panic!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

johng wrote:
Shows how much attention I paid to the 20s that season :D
tbf they were pretty poor that year.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Very difficult to take Joe Molloy seriously. The host of the biggest sports show in Ireland and he's never even been to Dalymount Park, the home of Irish football. I'm not one of those "League of Ireland lads" but I would have thought someone with a keen interest in Irish sport and football especially would make that effort. The bar under the main stand is dripping with history. Molloy is an embarrassment. Just too much Premier League and talking about those teams as if they're our own. "Roma v Porto Kev? Who cares!"