A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Ruckedtobits »

rooster wrote:
Dexter wrote:John Cooney having a go at Indo's Eamonn Sweeny on Twitter, re an article on Sunday
Any wonder did you read it ?
Cooney fully justified and the article was opinionated garbage - I've room for another 500 words at the bottom of the page, so I'll have a cut at Ulster players and fans for daring to express their sorrow at what has happened to Jackson and Olding, and sure plenty of rugby punters will be buying the paper today.

However, unfortunately this sort of s#@te is going to follow Ulster until they produce some sports results of significance.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
rooster wrote:
Dexter wrote:John Cooney having a go at Indo's Eamonn Sweeny on Twitter, re an article on Sunday
Any wonder did you read it ?
Cooney fully justified and the article was opinionated garbage - I've room for another 500 words at the bottom of the page, so I'll have a cut at Ulster players and fans for daring to express their sorrow at what has happened to Jackson and Olding, and sure plenty of rugby punters will be buying the paper today.

However, unfortunately this sort of s#@te is going to follow Ulster until they produce some sports results of significance.
I deliberately skipped that article on the basis that I wouldn’t rise to Sweeney’s coat-trailing. I’m happy that Cooney has challenged him on it.

I hope that the Ulster players remember those hacks (and their media channels) who took the opportunity to preach at them and pontificate on their supposed imperfections. It’s one thing to be criticised on your professional actions- that’s fair enough; another to be subjected to the moralising of a self elected claque on your failure to contribute to the pyre. The wheel will turn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Ulster have banned the news journalists from weekly press conference for the past 2 weeks, that is the press gripe now, yet the likes of Belfast Telegraph and hence Indo have their sports journalists there and they are crying that they are only getting rugby related stuff now. It had got to the ridiculous stage that rugby journalists were not getting asking all their questions in allocated time
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Balls.ie
Speaking to the media yesterday, Glasgow head coach Richard Cockerill responded to suggestions that his side should deliberately allow their Scottish counterparts win. He joked if that was the case, something similar should happen in Ireland.
Tut, Tut.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

blockhead wrote:Balls.ie
Speaking to the media yesterday, Glasgow head coach Richard Cockerill responded to suggestions that his side should deliberately allow their Scottish counterparts win. He joked if that was the case, something similar should happen in Ireland.
Tut, Tut.
Edinburgh must be shocked that he's ditched them right at the end off the season
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Hilarious from Quinlan on Off the Ball:

"My fear for some of the Leinster guys is... Sometimes you need to experience losses to make you stronger."

Yeah Quinny, I'm with you.
I would rather Leinster had a heartbreaking loss in the final but maybe learned something from it than winning the Champions Cup.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Was he playing with a pen in his hand again?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

suisse wrote:Was he playing with a pen in his hand again?
A lot of vigorous hand action but no pen.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:Hilarious from Quinlan on Off the Ball:

"My fear for some of the Leinster guys is... Sometimes you need to experience losses to make you stronger."

Yeah Quinny, I'm with you.
I would rather Leinster had a heartbreaking loss in the final but maybe learned something from it than winning the Champions Cup.
Was he not just saying that he'd be worried that some of the younger guys still don't have the experience of that level of game? I don't see anything particularly wrong in what he said. Well, other than the fact that Leinster have never lost a European final before so clearly the "losing at this level is what creates the winning mentality" idea is flawed. And the fact that most of these guys have just won a GS.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

plenty of the young lads have experience of losing, just look at the recent treviso game. :cry:

also most of the squad experienced loss last season again Scarlets and Clermont.

Only Ryan has no experience of losing big games.. well apart form the u20 JWC final
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

To be fair to Quinny, he comes from the era of the phrase "you have to lose two to win two". Remember that one.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:Only Ryan has no experience of losing big games.. well apart form the u20 JWC final
Not forgetting Nottingham in the B&I Cup.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

curates_egg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Only Ryan has no experience of losing big games.. well apart form the u20 JWC final
Doncaster
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

The latest from the Northern brethren is the Ultonians' new superhero Jacob Stockdale publicly upbraiding BO'D for - in a throwaway remark on OTB it must be pointed out - referring to the current state of Ulster rugby as being a "basket case". Whatever about the choice of words, the Great One might be on to something. Read on....:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opin ... 45333.html
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

johng wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Doncaster
He definitely lost to Nottingham: http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/le ... gham/80306
We had Doncaster in our group this year (and he wasn't playing).
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

curates_egg wrote:
johng wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Doncaster
He definitely lost to Nottingham: http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/le ... gham/80306
We had Doncaster in our group this year (and he wasn't playing).
Ah. Ok. My mistake
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

riocard911 wrote:The latest from the Northern brethren is the Ultonians' new superhero Jacob Stockdale publicly upbraiding BO'D for - in a throwaway remark on OTB it must be pointed out - referring to the current state of Ulster rugby as being a "basket case". Whatever about the choice of words, the Great One might be on to something. Read on....:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opin ... 45333.html
I'm not sure how many times BOD has visited Belfast has much relevance to the point he made. Anyway, he works in the media and presumably has some mates/former teammates up there he's in contact with. In 2 of their 3 away games in Europe, Ulster lost 41-17 and 26-7. The previous season, when finishing last, they lost 28-13 in Bordeaux, 38-19 in Clermont, 31-19 in Exeter and then home to Bordeaux. Despite so much grandstanding from Shane Logan. Throw in a court case which has severely damaged the brand and then you have what BOD said.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool quote on Wednesday
His lack of impact along with others was due to travel fatigue allied to altitude fatigue.
Francis yesterday in the indo
The plane journeys and the logistics are a factor - but they don't really explain the lethargy of Munster's performance. You can't put that performance solely down to attitude - fatigue and altitude did most of the damage.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

If fatigue was an issue, then why were they the team on top in the final quarter? I know Racing had switched off, but it was them who had guys down with cramp and sauntering around the pitch, not Munster.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

molloyjh wrote:If fatigue was an issue, then why were they the team on top in the final quarter? I know Racing had switched off, but it was them who had guys down with cramp and sauntering around the pitch, not Munster.
The point I was trying to make is that Francis is coming on here, stealing Oldschool's ideas and then getting paid to regurgitate them in the INDO.
Or, that Oldschool and Francis are one in the same.
Would explain a few things tbh.