A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by nelly the elephant »

johng wrote:
rathgarblue wrote:His odd habit of mentioning anything that links a team back to Ireland:
"Conor O’Shea’s Harlequins are playing Michael Cheika’s Stade Français while Michael Bradley's Edinburgh are up against an Ed O'Donoghue inspired Wasps." (EOD one is stretching it a little)
Nothing odd about that.

The Brits have been at it for years. Jonny Wilkinson's Toulon anybody?
I'll see your Jonny Wilkinson's Toulon and raise you a "Perry Freshwater's Perpignan"...
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
maccer
Bookworm

Post by maccer »

Liam Toland has completely ovetaken "Deccies Bitch" in terms of insightful analysis.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

And it all started with a whiff of cordite !
bren
Beginner

Post by bren »

Toland and Matt WIlliams by a country mile! I did like Trevor Brennan's ghost written articles when they were running so tip of the hat to 'you know who'.

Also, Dean Ryan writes well in the Guardian/Observer. He also seems to be popping up more and more on Sky's rugby coverage which is a good thing. When the ' Warburton controversy' was rumbling he was the only one who wrote something sensible about it... http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... -world-cup
On a traffic light green means 'go' and yellow means 'yield', but on a banana it's just the opposite. Green means 'hold on,' yellow means 'go ahead,' and red means, 'where the f%~k did you get that banana at?' - Mitch Hedberg
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

http://chirb.it/5PAqPH good GT impression here 1 min 20 into it
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

maccer wrote:Liam Toland has completely ovetaken "Deccies Bitch" in terms of insightful analysis.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - I even think I recognize the author!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

kendalgerty wrote:On his last appearance on Off the Ball, Gerry tried to make the case that Ireland's back play was good at the world cup, and the lack of a new backs coach was nothing to worry about.
Wasn't that unbelievable? He said that because we had so much territory and were in the welsh 22 so often that our attack must be ok.

Eh, actually Gerry; those 2 reasons prove how cr@p we are in attack. Both our attack and counter attack are worse than any pro12, top14 or even AP team.
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

gfo wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:Gerry rarely ever mentions BOD by name any more, usually referring to him as "the great one" or "you know who". Talismanic is another favourite. I still rate GT as the best.
"I was talking to Fester and Fester said that when Fester played, Fester loved getting in rucks. Fester said hookers like Fester don't get in rucks as much."

You know his nickname. WE GET IT
This.

A few months ago they were both being interviewed on Off the Ball, and he kept referring to Woods as "Fester"- don't think Woods thought too much of it because Gurry had dropped it by the end. Fully agree that he is probably too close to the Irish set-up.
Toland can pad out an article, but there is always a strong central point to it.
Matt Williams recent stuff (often only distantly related to rugby) is consistently thoughtful, honest and damn interesting. would like him to expand on the rugby stuff as he settles in to the Narbonne job. I'd also still like to know what happened following an earlier article at the next Narbonne team breakfast (he was going to introduce a new dietary regime that didn't involve croissants avec nutella)
Hugh Farrelly is the Jonny Watterson of the Indo.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

baaba maal wrote:Hugh Farrelly is the Jonny Watterson of the Indo.
Jonny Watterson is the guy to get that interview done, no matter the sport. He's rubbish, and he knows he is, but he's like the 12th man.

Hugh Farrelly is the main rugby correspondant for the Irish Indo. He should be ashamed of himself. But maybe he enjoys cheating a living doing something we all want to even though he is a cr@p journalist?

There are far better writers on this board than Hugh Farrelly. There are also a lot of sh!t rugby pundits out there, but Hugh is the worst.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

suisse wrote:
baaba maal wrote:Hugh Farrelly is the Jonny Watterson of the Indo.
Jonny Watterson is the guy to get that interview done, no matter the sport. He's rubbish, and he knows he is, but he's like the 12th man.

Hugh Farrelly is the main rugby correspondant for the Irish Indo. He should be ashamed of himself. But maybe he enjoys cheating a living doing something we all want to even though he is a cr@p journalist?

There are far better writers on this board than Hugh Farrelly. There are also a lot of sh!t rugby pundits out there, but Hugh is the worst.
What about David Kelly?
Dont Panic!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone know where Gerry Thornley has gone lately? The paper has him down as being on leave but it seems an odd time to be off given we're headed into the key back to back pre-Christmas HEC slot.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

TerenureJim wrote:Anyone know where Gerry Thornley has gone lately? The paper has him down as being on leave but it seems an odd time to be off given we're headed into the key back to back pre-Christmas HEC slot.

Must be hors de combat
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

slum wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Anyone know where Gerry Thornley has gone lately? The paper has him down as being on leave but it seems an odd time to be off given we're headed into the key back to back pre-Christmas HEC slot.

Must be hors de combat
:green clap: :lol: :green clap: oh i see what you did there
madridlion
Knowledgeable

Post by madridlion »

Gone to Dallas to buy some new cowboy boots.
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

madridlion wrote:Gone to Dallas to buy some new cowboy boots.
Miiaaaaooww!!! :lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

rathgarblue wrote:His odd habit of mentioning anything that links a team back to Ireland:
"Conor O’Shea’s Harlequins are playing Michael Cheika’s Stade Français while Michael Bradley's Edinburgh are up against an Ed O'Donoghue inspired Wasps." (EOD one is stretching it a little)
The EOD stretch is a dig at Joe, the inference being he let an inspiring player go - It wouldn't happen in Munster you see.
He has never used the phrase "the Mike Ross inspired Leinster" for example.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

slum wrote:

Must be hors de combat
Must say it was the first time in ages I really enjoyed Off the Ball's Rugby Slot last night without him spouting his usual cliches. Excellent analysis instead from Emmett Byrne and Matty Williams. Phil Bennett too and Matty lost the run of himself a bit to be sharing the airwaves with such a legend. :oops: :lol:
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Donny B. wrote:Must say it was the first time I really enjoyed Off the Ball's Rugby Slot last night without him spouting his usual cliches. Excellent analysis instead from Emmett Byrne and Matty Williams. Phil Bennett too and Matty lost the run of himself a bit to be sharing the airwaves with such a legend. :oops: :lol:
For reals? Seriously I had to post a rant about it the one time they're missing Gerry and we get 25 mins talk about Munster with little or no analysis of the other three provinces. They may have had Joe on after but that doesn't count as punditry analysis of the Bath game. That's just an interview.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TerenureJim wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Must say it was the first time I really enjoyed Off the Ball's Rugby Slot last night without him spouting his usual cliches. Excellent analysis instead from Emmett Byrne and Matty Williams. Phil Bennett too and Matty lost the run of himself a bit to be sharing the airwaves with such a legend. :oops: :lol:
For reals? Seriously I had to post a rant about it the one time they're missing Gerry and we get 25 mins talk about Munster with little or no analysis of the other three provinces. They may have had Joe on after but that doesn't count as punditry analysis of the Bath game. That's just an interview.
Still enjoyed it.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TerenureJim wrote:
Still enjoyed it.