A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by blockhead »

RTE podcast-Daire O'Brien 50 secs in.
--"Leinster going for the 4th title to equal the Ospreys" WE DID THAT LAST YEAR YA SHMUCK!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

blockhead wrote:RTE podcast-Daire O'Brien 50 secs in.
--"Leinster going for the 4th title to equal the Ospreys" WE DID THAT LAST YEAR YA SHMUCK!
Not even. We did that all the way back in the MOC dark days in 2014. We beat the Ospreys record last year and are going for a sixth title this. Hard to see how he can be so wrong.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

We’ve won it 5 times.
https://www.pro14rugby.org/statistics/l ... champions/
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Avenger wrote:
We’ve won it 5 times.
Oh Yeah.
We did that in 2014 Ya Shmuck!!!

Eddie O'S on Lowe "It still sticks in my craw that Lowe's signing stopped the development of some young Leinster wingers" " I'm not in favour of this kind of thing"
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Leinster 5 or 6
Ospreys 4
Munster 3
Scarlets 2
Glasgow 1 or 2
Ulster 1
Connacht 1

This is the 18th season
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

On the way home from work and tuned into Off the Ball at 8ok to listen to match preview. 820pm and they are still shiting on a mount Munster.
Joke
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Hey we got a 2 minute discussion on the match
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Long before the era of professional rugby, I was convinced from experience of the game, schools, club and country, internationally, that the best prepared Irish teams were Irish Schools teams on tour. https://www.irishrugby.ie/irfu/history/ ... m-history/

The Irish Schools Tour to NZ in 1992, coached by Declan Kidney and captained by James Blaney, played 9 and won 7 of their games in NZ. They were beaten 27-25 in their sole Test Match by a NZ team which included Jonah Lomu, playing at No 8.

Put simply, Irish Schools Rugby Coaches were the first professionals in the game in Ireland and they were dedicated to success.

That Squad contained Anthony Foley, Jeremy Dadivson and James Blaney, three players who went on to have decent coaching careers in their own right. In fact next Sunday, in the French Pro D2 Final, Davidson could well hit the highest point to date in that coaching career, if he can lead Brive to victory and a place in the Top 14 next season.

After an initial struggle in the professional era, the success of Irish teams was led by coaches including Kidney, Brian McGloughlin and Gerry Murphy, all three of whom graduated from coaching success in the Schools game. Interestingly, one of the players in the 1987 Irish Schools Squad, which won 10 of their 11 games touring Australia, was Crescent Comprehensive winger, Eddie O'Sullivan. Clearly, Irish professional rugby Coaches were starting to have an impact in the professional era.

Munster, coached by Kidney, were first to develop the formula for long-term success in Ireland. Certainly, Harry William's leadership of Ulster to European success in 1999, cannot be ignored, and it provided part of the inspiration for Kidney in showing that an Irish Province could overcome the big French sides like Toulouse and Stade Francaise in the right circumstances. But it proved a flash in the pan, rather than the mother-lode.

Kidney's Munster, was founded on the ultra-competitive rivalry of the Clubs dominating the All Ireland league, Shannon, Limerick rivals Garryowen & Young Munster and Cork competition from Con and occasionally UCC. Coupled with a few shrewd overseas signings, Kidney finally assembled a Squad, who were dedicated to success, learning to accept modern S&C standards and hugely experienced already in winning crucial games, especially in knockout rugby.

Success, the Irish way, wasn't straightforward and it took a couple of years to bring back silverware. However, that journey wasn't wasted and many from those Squads went on to success on Irish Triple-Crown winning sides and ultimately the Grand Slam of 2009.

At National level, the new century started with Warren Gatland at the helm of the National team, but only starting his coaching career. He was soon succeeded by Eddie O'Sullivan, whose Squads accumulated Triple Crowns, before Declan Kidney led his Squad to the 2009 Grand Slam. From 2013, Joe Schmidt began adding tactical acumen, extreme preparation and Squad confidence and Ireland emerged to a top three (two) ranking in World Rugby by 2017-8. A far cry from where they were placed in missing qualification for the quarter-final stages of RWC 1999.

On the administrative and financial side of rugby, Ireland has also had important leaders. Millar, Kiernan and Dawson were the first to see the future evolution of the Club game at European level and ensure that the Irish Provinces and not Clubs, were the ideal vehicles to participate. Coleman, Hussey and Crowley ensured strong central management in recruiting and retaining Irish players, enhanced playing facilities and demanding, or enforcing, reasonable financial discipline to underpin all four Provincial set-ups, despite initial problems in Connacht.

It remains to be seen whether Philip Brown, Tom Grace and David Nucifora can fully engineer the transition from governance by Blazers to management by Suits. This last stage may prove to be the point at which the Irish model departs from the perennially successful NZ model and topples over into the traditional Celtic morass, most evident for years past, among the Welsh.

Certainly, when it comes to creating a 'Rugby Model' which is capable of serving the game at Schools, Community, Club and National levels simultaneously, the Irish seem to have evolved a system superior to that of such countries as Australia, Scotland, Wales, France and even South Africa. Yes, the game has a very different place in each of those societies. But, two decades or less, ago, it would have seemed unthinkable that Irish rugby could have emerged at the end of the second decade of the new century, in the position of relative eminence that it currently holds.

Trying to analyse just why and how this has occurred is probably a Ph.D in the writing. However, one of the common denominators throughout the journey of Irish rugby has been the presence of dedicated and inspirational leadership, often at the same time and most often in competition with each other.

That leadership has often been by institutions, Schools, Clubs or Provinces, rather than individuals. In Leinster, generations of schoolboy rugby players, and their coaches and families, were in awe of the seemingly, unbeatable, Blackrock College. That institution, led by a small number of outrageously dedicated Holy Ghost fathers had created an aura of invincibility which served to galvinise every other school in the Province to greater and greater effort each year. They thus lifted the standard expected in every school in the competition. Some have postulated that St Michael's College are performing a similar role at present and time will be the judge of that opinion. Certainly, the regular supply to the Leinster Academy of talented schoolboys, supplemented with increasing regularity by Club under-age players with great talent and passion for the game, has ensured the Academy is a rich source of playing strength to Leinster.

In Munster, whilst the efforts of religious within Schools such as Pres Cork and Christians Cork or Rockwell in Tipperary and Crescent in Limerick were important, it was ultimately the emergence of Munster Clubs in competition in the All Ireland League, which provided the catalyst, and ultimately, the confidence for Munster Rugby to claim ascendancy in Irish rugby during the decade of the Noughties. Munster may not have developed their Academy output to the same degree as Leinster but it is unlikely they will not discover a formula which works for them, sooner rather than later.

Up north, the great nurseries were traditionally Methody, RBAI and Campbell. From year to year their dominance might be challenged by a talented group from such as Coleraine, Armagh, Bangor or Ballymena. However, over the past 30 years, the home-bred strength of the Ulster game largely resided within Clubs such as Dungannon and Ballymena, aside from a brief flourish from the Belfast amalgamation, Belfast Harlequins.

Dungannon and Ballymena excelled through the presence of good coaches, dedicated Club members and representative players who were proud to be part of strong communities in a time when such were rare in their society. Players & Coaches like Jimmy Davidson, Willie Anderson, Brian McGloughlin, David Humphries and Mark McCall have given a lot to Ulster rugby. Once again, as with Munster, the Ulster Academy structure has not yet provided the constant supply of young talent that once seemed likely. However, Head Coach McFarland appears to have a clear view on how his Academy should operate and the early signs are he is on the right track.

The roots of Connacht rugby success are not as deeply set as those of the other Irish Provinces and perhaps its fair to say that experimental grafting and implantation has been instrumental in bringing it to a very competitive standard during the second decade of Irish professional rugby.

From having three competitive, senior, and amateur, rugby Clubs during the 1990's, (Galwegians, Corinthians and Buccaneers), Connacht's qualification to the premier European competition in its own right in recent years has been a mini-miracle. Although financial viability, or an independent financial future, is unlikely without a bigger and more efficient Stadium, Connacht's playing success has ensured that it is now considered as difficult an opponent as Ulster or, sometimes, Munster whether the opposition is Irish or any other European Club.

The key to Connacht's elevation has been the selection and dedication of their Coaches, notably Pat Lam and currently Andy Friend, coupled with excellent player development and strong central, financial, support from the IRFU. This support contrasts strongly with the efforts previously of the SRU for the Borders franchise. There has also been a great framework of local indigenous, and the wider diaspora, talent, nurtured by such as Elwood and Carolan.

So, in summary, there is fairly strong evidence that the IRFU, coupled with the boundless dedication and passion of individuals and institutions within the Irish game, has been able to harness and develop the intrinsic rugby ability of players throughout the country to ensure four strong Provincial Clubs and a very capable National team. To do so in a financially competent manner, despite the very different demographics of rugby within each of the Provinces, is a good achievement and comparable, or better, than any other sporting organisation on this island.

It's not perfect, but neither it is broken, at present. However, intrinsic to its continued success, is competition, not emasculation. Let's hope the Suits understand that essential component.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Thank you RTB, great post, summary and knowledge.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Blue not red blood wrote:On the way home from work and tuned into Off the Ball at 8ok to listen to match preview. 820pm and they are still shiting on a mount Munster.
Joke
Yep all Munster on Monday on OTB and second captains, moaning about no new signings, I guess Carberry and Beirne are old hat/didn't work out then because they seemed very high profile and are only in a season.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

TerenureJim wrote:
Blue not red blood wrote:On the way home from work and tuned into Off the Ball at 8ok to listen to match preview. 820pm and they are still shiting on a mount Munster.
Joke
Yep all Munster on Monday on OTB and second captains, moaning about no new signings, I guess Carberry and Beirne are old hat/didn't work out then because they seemed very high profile and are only in a season.
So apart from Botha, Haley, Mathewson, Beirne, Carbery what have the IRFU done for Munster squad development.

They've only been able to sign McCarthy. If this goes on much longer they won't be able to carry 4-5 non playing squad members who they regret giving contracts to, they might even have to play academy players.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TerenureJim wrote:
Joke
Classic poor mouth strategy.
The squeaky door always gets the oil.
Add in the usual fear tactics.
Hurry while sales last, ie There will be no Munster if the fools don't buy our bullshit
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

TerenureJim wrote:
Joke
I gave up listening to OTB; it's mostly rubbish.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

TerenureJim wrote:
Joke
I gave up listening to OTB; it's mostly rubbish.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

TerenureJim wrote:
Joke
It was amazing. ROC said about 2 minutes in that he reckons Munster will extend Matthewson's contract even further.
Then later on Woody was saying that Munster need to sign expensive imports. Even if the funds aren't there, they should go to the IRFU and say "look at all we do for you. You need to give us money to bring in more imports"
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

leinsterforever wrote:Other provinces making use of Leinster's surplus schools talent is to be welcomed. Eric O'Sullivan, Alan O'Connor, Dave Shanahan up at Ulster is good for Irish rugby. If Nucifora can find ways to incentivise that type of thing - both from the province's end and the player who just misses the cut at Leinster's end - then I'd be all for it. But pressuring someone who Leinster want, and who wants to play for Leinster, to go elsewhere, would make me feel uneasy. You'd be playing a dangerous game. What if Munster's academy didn't train up the player as well? Or what if whoever was coaching Munster was averse to playing the young guys?

Seems to me that it would be more sensible to look at how Munster's academy functions. What do they look for when selecting entrants? Is it just brutes and not much emphasis on skills? I can't say I was too impressed with the rugby the U20s played under Peter Malone. It was all just one-out rubbish. What about a real, IRFU-Instigated shake up? Maybe get someone from England's U20s programme in to take over. They've been very good the last number of years.
What if? I think that's more of an inevitable!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

At the Final in Newcastle, I listened to two Munster guys talking about an IRFU 'audit' of all Provincial Academies. They were talking as if this was imminent or had just taken place. They were also talking as if the 'review / audit' could have an impact on personnel involved going forward.

The same conversation (I had nothing else to do except enjoy my pint an hour before the game) went on to discuss whether Cork Con would be allowed set up an Academy structure, with Munster's blessing, in Cork and what would be the impact.

It pays to enjoy a slow pint, sometimes.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

blockhead wrote:
Avenger wrote:
We’ve won it 5 times.
Oh Yeah.

Eddie O'S on Lowe "It still sticks in my craw that Lowe's signing stopped the development of some young Leinster wingers" " I'm not in favour of this kind of thing"
Have to say I agree with him on that to some extent. Rory O'Loughlin played loads on the left wing in his breakout season, including European games. He went from never having played for Leinster at the start of '16/'17 to being a capped international by the end of the season. It was a Lions year, but only Payne, Henshaw, Murray and Sexton were missing as backs for the trip to Japan/USA. You can't ask much more of a player than that. But Lowe coming in curtailed any further opportunities on the left wing in the big games, which I think is a shame cos I think he's good enough to star as a first XV player.

For a couple of seasons while Fitzgerald struggled with injury Leinster had been crying out for a quality operator at 11. It was slightly strange timing to sign one up just as a homegrown option emerged. Lowe's quality, but I can completely understand where EOS is coming from.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Every single NIQ (or otherwise) signing displaces at least one player, more if guys are sharing time as they develop.

There are other potential benefits but there is also a loser(s).

Lowe can do things that no Irish winger in the pro era has been able to do. Stockdale is close (& better in other areas) but he came through later.

Lowe's ability to crash over the line from wide and short range is game changing: gor Ireland and Leinster.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

blockhead wrote:
Avenger wrote:
We’ve won it 5 times.
Oh Yeah.

It gets in my craw that Eddie won bupkiss with the talent he had.