A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:I think Gerry is the best and most competent irish rugby journo out there. Best researched too.

Not without his faults but who is?

I downloaded one of the epps after the paywall and it was just an ad for the pay ones.

There is so much content out there I couldn't be arsed. As I have no interest in soccer or most otber sports I tend to stick with rugby only stuff.

Maybe I'll give them another go as you can't get gerry on nt any more
Yeah missing Gerry :cry:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Hippo wrote:
johng wrote: :? Why would it have to be a 45 min epp?
30 min, 40 min, whatever. You said 'one of the eps' that was 'just an ad'. It's really not that important - yes they promoted their paywall pods, but not to that great an extent.
I wasn't being smart. I just wondered why you thought the epp would have to be a long one. I just clicked on one in my podcast app and it turned out to be an ad for their pay stuff so I stopped bothering.

I was never a big fan. They are about 60% soccer and some of the "bants" are a bit cringy in a bt sport kind of way. I found the tv show unwatchable.

It's about 2/3 the price of netflix so I wouldn't be interested. I did however listen to their Monday epp which not only contained Gervais but also D'arce. Good stuff and I will be back next Monday now that I know the score.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

johng wrote:I think Gerry is the best and most competent irish rugby journo out there. Best researched too.

Murray Kinsella.
Hopefully, he is back soon and remunerated at a level commensurate to his talent.
I would definitely pay for his analysis and insight.

I stopped listening to 2nd Captains before the paywall mainly because I found 'the bants' both dull and annoying. I was a big fan of Shaggy on there but I'm not a GT fan.
Somebody else mentioned Toland: I can understand why people might find him annoying but I find his analysis good.

Give me a podcast of Kinsella, Shaggy and Toland and I would pay a decent sum for that.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

curates_egg wrote:

Murray Kinsella.
Hopefully, he is back soon and remunerated at a level commensurate to his talent.
I would definitely pay for his analysis and insight.

I stopped listening to 2nd Captains before the paywall mainly because I found 'the bants' both dull and annoying. I was a big fan of Shaggy on there but I'm not a GT fan.
Somebody else mentioned Toland: I can understand why people might find him annoying but I find his analysis good.

Give me a podcast of Kinsella, Shaggy and Toland and I would pay a decent sum for that.
Murray Kinsella was very good, but he didn't he have one or two articles about POM where he went very very overboard talking about leadership?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Yeah, Kinsella is excellent but he and POM are mates in 'real life', so that explains that.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Don't get me wrong, I think PO'M is a fine player and a good leader. At the same time though, the continuous Munster hype about how he's automatic choice to take over from Rory as Ireland captain gives me a pain in the ....
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Laighin Break wrote:Murray Kinsella was very good, but he didn't he have one or two articles about POM where he went very very overboard talking about leadership?
IIRC, he was pointing.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Murray K is a former Munster academy player.. so yes he is going to be biased.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

For every action there is an equal and opposite REaction...if people think Munster fans go OTT about POM and the pride and pashun etc then the same is true of Leinster fans who read that stuff and comment on it. Kinsella is one of the most clinical analysts around, I fail to see how he was being OTT about POM in what he said but others made a big deal of it. That's POM, the Ireland under 20 captain, Munster captain, and Lions captain, who led his team superbly both on and off the field after their coach died.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:For every action there is an equal and opposite REaction...if people think Munster fans go OTT about POM and the pride and pashun etc then the same is true of Leinster fans who read that stuff and comment on it. Kinsella is one of the most clinical analysts around, I fail to see how he was being OTT about POM in what he said but others made a big deal of it. That's POM, the Ireland under 20 captain, Munster captain, and Lions captain, who led his team superbly both on and off the field after their coach died.

Paddyor wasn't exaggerating above. The article was literally discussing POM's pointing in some game and how this shows his great leadership. I think I remember counting the word "leadership" being used 10 times in the article.

I don't doubt POM's credentials and he is a great player (has some massive performances in green), but the article was OTT.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He also repeated hearsay and hyperbole (from Mick Galwey who was talking through his arse) about Ryan last year.

But the suggestion that Seán O'Brien needed to be told by Peter O'Mahony that he really should get up off his arse and hit a ruck was comical.

His analsys is great but even Homer nods as they used to say.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:Murray Kinsella was very good, but he didn't he have one or two articles about POM where he went very very overboard talking about leadership?
IIRC, he was pointing.
What's his handclapping like?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

http://www.the42.ie/peter-omahony-leade ... 4-Mar2017/

This article?

1000 words in that article ha.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

POMs angry reaction to reggie also proved his Irish captaincy credentials, according to some in the press. His performance was not deemed relevant.
So we have, pointing fingers, barking at interviewers and of course, angry faces. The press love that sh*t.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

blockhead wrote:POMs angry reaction to reggie also proved his Irish captaincy credentials, according to some in the press. His performance was not deemed relevant.
So we have, pointing fingers, barking at interviewers and of course, angry faces. The press love that sh*t.
They hate oversize headphones and owning trendy eateries
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Hippo wrote:
johng wrote: I downloaded one of the epps after the paywall and it was just an ad for the pay ones.
That's a little harsh, has there really been a 45 minute ep that was just an ad for the paywall pods? I'm a subscriber and think it's well worth the (absolutely minimal) cost. It's about a million times better than the awful OTB.
I think that both OTB and the Second Captains (paywall and free) versions are both very good and complementary. Andy Dunne as the new star of OTB is an excellent addition - and I never understood the antipathy to Gerry Thornley- and I’m glad he’s found a berth in the SC podcast. Some irritating stylistic ticks, certainly, but generally very well informed and balanced. We are well served compared to other jurisdictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RoboProp wrote:
blockhead wrote:POMs angry reaction to reggie also proved his Irish captaincy credentials, according to some in the press. His performance was not deemed relevant.
They hate oversize headphones and owning trendy eateries
They love that Munster players are not from fee-playing schools (although most of them are) unlike the ladyboy Leinster toffs.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

A whiff of Cordite

Post by artaneboy »

On the Reggie/ POM thing, there was a very interesting bit on OTB on Wednesday where both Wood and Donnacha O’Callaghan danced around the “intensity” word and in their analysis of why Munster were ‘slightly off’ in their efforts against Castres,but it took presenter Joe Malone to do his ingenue thing and mention the “I” word. Neither challenged him though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thanks for linking the article, I actually looked but couldn't find it...yet another sad forum moment for me this week :lol:

Still struggling to see anything bad in this...the middle paragraph being the crucial one.

"Despite being in pain, O’Brien reacts instantly, pushing himself up off the turf and re-joining the Irish defensive line, with O’Mahony ordering him into position.

It’s a tiny moment in a game full of them and this kind of communication to team-mates when defending is not new, but O’Mahony is the kind of character who constantly, constantly demands work rate.

There are other similar personalities in this Ireland team, of course, and O’Brien is one of those who is always audible on the ref mic, encouraging and demanding, but O’Mahony has the force of will that others rarely fail to respond to."
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Leadership. We get it. Do any of these guys actually review POM's performances? Following his non performance against Leinster, according to ESPN, POM carried 8 times versus Castres and made 5 meters. These are regular figures for him. He has to be one of the least effective ball carrying 6s on a major European team. No stolen lineouts. 7 tackles made, TOD and Stander with 13 and 14 respectively. What did POM do in that game or the previous game not only warrants selection for Ireland, but makes him immune to being dropped?