A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Laighin Break
Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Laighin Break »

simonokeeffe wrote:6 months after he signed on a one year deal Steroid Gobbler is suddenly a controversial signing
Off The Ball discussed it last night. EOS blaming the media for not making a big deal of it back in the summer, media man defending that it happened during the Lions tour so they were distracted.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Laighin Break wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:6 months after he signed on a one year deal Steroid Gobbler is suddenly a controversial signing
Off The Ball discussed it last night. EOS blaming the media for not making a big deal of it back in the summer, media man defending that it happened during the Lions tour so they were distracted.
Good thing nobody did any season previews :)

EOS has decided he got enough stick in his time so now its everyone elses turn. Hes a Joe Duffy show made flesh
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

wixfjord wrote:Slightly hard to listen to at times, but some interesting tidbits in this podcast with Luke F and Heaslip.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 75089.html

Interesting to hear them calling out Ferg as a trainer and the professionalism that Heaslip practices.
Omg the bants.... i recommend skipping the first 15 mins.

It's an interesting insight but not sure if I'll be subscribing. In truth its a poor mans bluestalkAV.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Peg Leg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Slightly hard to listen to at times, but some interesting tidbits in this podcast with Luke F and Heaslip.

Interesting to hear them calling out Ferg as a trainer and the professionalism that Heaslip practices.

It's an interesting insight but not sure if I'll be subscribing. In truth its a poor mans bluestalkAV.
Yeah as much as I love Luke as a player, he really grates on me as a pundit/presenter. Comes across as a real stereotype at times.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:

Yeah as much as I love Luke as a player, he really grates on me as a pundit/presenter. Comes across as a real stereotype at times.
+1. Luke Fitz's lack of self-awareness is breathtaking in its totality. You'd have the International Criminal Court after you for torture, if you forced a Munster fan to listen to The Left Wing. Blues Talk TV and The Hard Yards are much better podcasts - by a long shot.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

He's actually a very respectful and good natured guy. Unlike a lot of ex-pros (e.g Quinlan, Shaggy) he treats the non-ex-rugby players with whom he's in conversation with genuine respect, rather than rolling his eyes when they express an opinion he disagrees with. He's existed in a changing room environment for 95%+ of his adult life, and has only just turned 30. I think we can forgive him for the excessive 'bants' stuff. If he is a bit of a Leinster stereotype tool, he's a very good natured and fairly funny one.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

neiliog93 wrote:He's actually a very respectful and good natured guy. Unlike a lot of ex-pros (e.g Quinlan, Shaggy) he treats the non-ex-rugby players with whom he's in conversation with genuine respect, rather than rolling his eyes when they express an opinion he disagrees with. He's existed in a changing room environment for 95%+ of his adult life, and has only just turned 30. I think we can forgive him for the excessive 'bants' stuff. If he is a bit of a Leinster stereotype tool, he's a very good natured and fairly funny one.
I don't listen to his podcast but that's how I would see him as a pundit, think he's very good in that role. Strangely, his player knowledge doesn't seem great at times, but technically he's great and, unlike a lot of ex pros, he's not afraid to call players out for making mistakes.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Lukey is a genuinely lovely bloke according to anyone who knows him. He just talks a lot and doesn't structure his sentences very well. Starting in the middle and re starting the same sentence etc. Or asking someone a question and talking over their answer.

Perhaps we all do it but he is supposed to be a pro. I know podcasting is a much less formal setting than sky commentary but people talking at the same time is a nono.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I think part of it is just sheer enthusiasm, which for the most part I like. As he said himself, when others bring up rugby with him, they kind of do it with an element of trepidation, as if he'll be sick of talking about rugby. But then he loves it so much he ends up potholing them in a rugby discussion, rather than the other way around.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Donal Lenihan getting a bit confused on the radio this morning.
According to himself, Ulster are at the last chance saloon this weekend since they won't catch Scarlets or Leinster for a Pro14 semi-final spot.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Donal Lenihan getting a bit confused on the radio this morning.
According to himself, Ulster are at the last chance saloon this weekend since they won't catch Scarlets or Leinster for a Pro14 semi-final spot.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

When Luke was a player I cringed every time he engaged with the media: he always gave his critics ammunition. As such he didn't seem to me the ideal person to start a media career.

On the other side of that, not being the most comfortable in the media would back up the assertions above of being a genuine guy and enthusiast. That's not what you need to be a reliable media performer: caring about nothing works better. As a friend of mine was saying to me the other week when he came back from pulverising his opponent on a political show the presenter was giggling away (though he didn't agree with my friend's side) because he didn't care about the issues, just a good show.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

fourthirtythree wrote: On the other side of that, not being the most comfortable in the media would back up the assertions above of being a genuine guy and enthusiast. That's not what you need to be a reliable media performer: caring about nothing works better. As a friend of mine was saying to me the other week when he came back from pulverising his opponent on a political show the presenter was giggling away (though he didn't agree with my friend's side) because he didn't care about the issues, just a good show.
And that's the point. Its ratings, not content. A good row is better than everyone agreeing with each other. The mass media will always gives plenty of air time or space to someone who has something controversial to say. To hell with the accuracy (or the consequences). The irish Times has generally been an honourable exception to that rule (although I think standards are slipping there).
A proud Winsome Fluter
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If Luke refreshes his Irish he could get a near monopoly on rugby punditry
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

simonokeeffe wrote:If Luke refreshes his Irish he could get a near monopoly on rugby punditry
An-greannmhar!!!! :lol:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

riocard911 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:If Luke refreshes his Irish he could get a near monopoly on rugby punditry
Took me way too long to get that
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
Took me way too long to get that
Haha yeah, good one....
No actually, wait i don't get it?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Even Darcy has picked up a pitchfork over Grobbler now, best part was saying hes a placeholder until Tadhg Beirne signs and then calling him a project player
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

simonokeeffe wrote:Even Darcy has picked up a pitchfork over Grobbler now, best part was saying hes a placeholder until Tadhg Beirne signs and then calling him a project player
uh oh, tis one thing when a "D4" Journo does it, but when its a ex ladyboy.
Take cover.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Even Darcy has picked up a pitchfork over Grobbler now, best part was saying hes a placeholder until Tadhg Beirne signs and then calling him a project player
uh oh, tis one thing when a "D4" Journo does it, but when its a ex ladyboy
Take cover.
ladyboy Not a word I fancy in any cicumstances, given the usage in the Southern Hemisphere