A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by TerenureJim »

Missed off the ball on Monday, was there any rugby coverage? The usual Monday night rugby seems oddly absent on the apple podcast app
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

TerenureJim wrote:Missed off the ball on Monday, was there any rugby coverage? The usual Monday night rugby seems oddly absent on the apple podcast app
Yep, it's on the site.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_T ... _The_Ball/
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

CiaranIrl wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Missed off the ball on Monday, was there any rugby coverage? The usual Monday night rugby seems oddly absent on the apple podcast app
Yep, it's on the site.

Cheers, odd it's not on the app.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

TerenureJim wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
Yep, it's on the site.

Cheers, odd it's not on the app.
It's not updated on the podcast app I use either, but the GAA clips are :?
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

" Carbery, his family and rugby roots are, essentially, from Athy, which is not a million miles from Munster" Gerry Thornley in IT, :D well played.

That said, the same is true for us all....(the Munster bit, not the Athy bit)
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

olaf the fat wrote:" Carbery, his family and rugby roots are, essentially, from Athy, which is not a million miles from Munster" Gerry Thornley in IT, :D well played.

That said, the same is true for us all....(the Munster bit, not the Athy bit)
No matter where you are on the planet the furthest distance you can be from anything is 12,451 miles. Well played sir.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I fully expect a rousing chorus of "the fields of Athy" next time they take the park.

It works, I mean it's not in Munster either.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:I fully expect a rousing chorus of "the fields of Athy" next time they take the park.

It works, I mean it's not in Munster either.
Should be easy enough for the 12 fans who attended last weekend to organise that.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Off The Ball were also talking about Healy's anger over Muldoon's conversion!
Matt Williams also said that Cardiff had been "exceptionally poor" in the games leading up to the Munster game. I wonder had he actually seen the games or just saw that they were 0/3.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

another awful article by Victor in the indo.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Gervais today in the IT. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3648040 Overall hes has a point; but I'm not sure I get this bit >
Leinster will again be hardest hit by Ireland call-ups, but then again their provincial rivals would correctly argue that Leinster are the most heavily subsidised by IRFU central contracts.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

desperado wrote:Gervais today in the IT. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3648040 Overall hes has a point; but I'm not sure I get this bit >
Leinster will again be hardest hit by Ireland call-ups, but then again their provincial rivals would correctly argue that Leinster are the most heavily subsidised by IRFU central contracts.
We have the largest number of central contracts of any province.

It's a *bit* of a moot point since all salaries come from broadly the same pot anyway.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Gervais wrote:Might, therefore, they feel a little miffed come next Friday at lunchtime if, and as seems quite likely, neither Sexton, Carbery and a host of other Ireland front-line Test players are not named in the two line-ups?
The who what now?

So they're unlikely to not be named in the line-ups?

I'm confused, Ted.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The ebb and flow of double negatives.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

desperado wrote:Gervais today in the IT. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3648040 Overall hes has a point; but I'm not sure I get this bit >
The article is like it is written for a simpleton. Hey guys Leinster are four wins from five with three tough away games down points picked up in all of them. The squad have all got much needed game time and there looks to be no significant injury worries. Things are looking good. With that being said you should all be outraged that Johnny Sexton won't be playing against the man who should be playing for Leinster Joey Carbery because they will be rested for bigger games in the following weeks, lets be outraged everyone. :roll:

Looking forward to seeing Ross Byrne have a go at Munster, the away match last season against them where we disrespected everyone (yawn) and Munster were going to get 5 points against us was one of my favorite performances of the season. Soz Gez.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

limecat wrote:
Gervais wrote:Might, therefore, they feel a little miffed come next Friday at lunchtime if, and as seems quite likely, neither Sexton, Carbery and a host of other Ireland front-line Test players are not named in the two line-ups?
The who what now?

So they're unlikely to not be named in the line-ups?

I'm confused, Ted.
Lols. The whole paragraph is even better. You'd struggle to find a more Thornleyesque piece of writing. Starting with a trademark adverb. All it is missing is some French, so I fixed it.

"Accordingly, over 46,000 tickets have been sold for Saturday’s renewal of the Leinster-Munster rivalry, but how many supporters were primarily motivated to purchase tickets in the tasty expectation of Johnny Sexton and Joey Carbery occupying the two number 10 jerseys? Might, therefore, they feel a little miffed come next Friday at lunchtime if, and as seems quite likely, neither Sexton, Carbery and a host of other Ireland front-line Test players are hors combat from the two line-ups?"
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Hors de combat means out of action because of injury
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

leinsterforever wrote:Hors de combat means out of action because of injury
It does when Gerry uses it. Gerry loves using frenchisms, but doesn't always use them, write them or spell them correctly. That is part of the fun.

I speak French, but hors de combat (when used in English) is actually a term from international diplomacy (dating back to when French was the language of international diplomacy). It is used to designate people who can't be attacked or killed for different reasons, but principally because they have relinquished, been extricated from or can no longer combat. For example, under the Geneva Convention, it also refers to people who want to surrender or who are "in the power of an adverse party". From my (admittedly extreme) perspective, the availability of our international players is in the power of an adverse party :lol:
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

curates_egg wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Hors de combat means out of action because of injury
It does when Gerry uses it. Gerry loves using frenchisms, but doesn't always use them, write them or spell them correctly. That is part of the fun.

I speak French, but hors de combat is actually a term from international diplomacy (dating back to when French was the language of international diplomacy). It is used to designate people who can't be attacked or killed for different reasons. For example, under the Geneva Convention, it also refers to people who want to surrender or who are "in the power of an adverse party". From my (admittedly extreme) perspective, the availability of our international players is in the power of an adverse party :lol:
That paragraph is terrible, and he uses phrases like that way too much and in overcomplicated sentences, but there's nothing wrong with using that phrase for injured players.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... -de-combat
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

how dare leinster develop irish internationals...