A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

if Munster get the pick of the Leinster schools system, do the rest of Ireland get access to the South African schools?
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

blockhead wrote:Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STtdZjtMCn0

They were talking about a Leinster draft specifically. I.E., the other 3 Provinces come up to the big smoke once a year and pick which young lad they want for themselves. The Province with the worst record from the previous season get to pick first. Leinster get what ever is left I suppose. Brilliant.
TBF Mcintyre was havin none of it.
Em except it's not a closed league like the NFL where a draft can work. Getting into a mandatory draft style system would easily encourage lads to start heading east to England and France as opposed to fighting to get into the province they want (regardless of which province that is)
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

johng wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:His comment on why he rarely played with Franno was very funny and probably only half in jest
Go on then.
Q: so did you ever play with Franno

Mal: no, I would have been selected alongside Steve Jameson ar Riggers - they'd want someone who would look after a youngfella - Franno'd be pushing you out in front :)
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
johng wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:His comment on why he rarely played with Franno was very funny and probably only half in jest
Go on then.
Q: so did you ever play with Franno

Mal: no, I would have been selected alongside Steve Jameson or Riggers - they'd want someone who would look after a youngfella - Franno'd be pushing you out in front :)
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

blockhead wrote:Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STtdZjtMCn0

They were talking about a Leinster draft specifically. I.E., the other 3 Provinces come up to the big smoke once a year and pick which young lad they want for themselves. The Province with the worst record from the previous season get to pick first. Leinster get what ever is left I suppose. Brilliant.
TBF Mcintyre was havin none of it.
I should have known better than to click on that. I haven't watched or listened to OTB AM in a very long time. 2 or 3 village idiots sitting behind a mic pontificating as if they have an opinion worth anything. Gilroy just uses it waffle and the ginger dude is absolutely horrendous. Why would I want to listen to his opinion on what Nucifora wants or what the best Irish centre pairing ever is? Really, really, really bad radio/tv.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

suisse wrote:
I should have known better than to click on that. I haven't watched or listened to OTB AM in a very long time. 2 or 3 village idiots sitting behind a mic pontificating as if they have an opinion worth anything. Gilroy just uses it waffle and the ginger dude is absolutely horrendous. Why would I want to listen to his opinion on what Nucifora wants or what the best Irish centre pairing ever is? Really, really, really bad radio/tv.
Who is that guy anyway? After the recent Munster game, he's the one who spouted that (paraphrasing)"if the ref had made all the right decisions then there's absolutely no doubt that Munster would have definitely won", while managing to also look very angry :twisted:
It was hilarious!
Dont Panic!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Did anyone listen to the rugby on OTB on Friday?

I am right in saying Lowe was signed before the PP rule moved from 3 to 5 years, am I not? Lowe's eligible in 2020, yes?

How did all 4 on the panel not know this? If you're gonna talk about Lowe being eligable, should you not know this vital information?

And Gilroy. People have only been talking about Lowe playing for Ireland recently he says. People? Who's he speaking for? Most of us here have been talking about this since he came. Usual OTB shite of thinking that the rugby public only knows as much as the presenters do. Gobshite.

Edit: they sorted it out later! McIntyre says it has never been mentioned. It has been mentioned. It's in the media! Do your job.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't know why I do it to myself but I only really listen to OTB when it's referenced here these days.

They didn't even sort it out really. Someone said that Lowe arrived in January 2018, McIntyre said that he qualifies in 14 months, but also couldn't understand how Rhys Marshall qualifies before him despite only arriving a month earlier. I mean...where do you start with that? BOD is a much better pundit these days and seemed to still be good apart from that blunder (really don't get how it could have bypassed him but anyway) but the rest of them just sound like lads who only go to the Christmas game in the Aviva and are shouting for offside after a kick is blocked down.

I could only stomach it for a few minutes but had to watch the one with Quinlan after the Aviva game when people mentioned them giving out about the ref. Don't know who the other guy on the panel was but it was unbelievable how much he struggled to make any kind of coherent point when Quinlan's mic wasn't working and he had to step in.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I really enjoyed the 42's Heineken cup podcast with Murray Kinsella and Johne Murphy. Proud Leicester man Murphy was eloquent on the topic of what cultural continuity means in the context of professional sport. They were outrageously gushing about the current Leinster set up and culture and singled out some quotes from Copeland on why he didn't fit in at Munster. They were sympathetic "team goals for the year: win everything. Yeah right."
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:I really enjoyed the 42's Heineken cup podcast with Murray Kinsella and Johne Murphy. Proud Leicester man Murphy was eloquent on the topic of what cultural continuity means in the context of professional sport. They were outrageously gushing about the current Leinster set up and culture and singled out some quotes from Copeland on why he didn't fit in at Munster. They were sympathetic "team goals for the year: win everything. Yeah right."
Just listening to this at the moment. Speaking of eloquent, enjoying the interview with Mike Ross.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

suisse wrote:Did anyone listen to the rugby on OTB on Friday?

I am right in saying Lowe was signed before the PP rule moved from 3 to 5 years, am I not? Lowe's eligible in 2020, yes?

How did all 4 on the panel not know this? If you're gonna talk about Lowe being eligable, should you not know this vital information?

And Gilroy. People have only been talking about Lowe playing for Ireland recently he says. People? Who's he speaking for? Most of us here have been talking about this since he came. Usual OTB shite of thinking that the rugby public only knows as much as the presenters do. Gobshite.

Edit: they sorted it out later! McIntyre says it has never been mentioned. It has been mentioned. It's in the media! Do your job.
:-)
They really torture you- don’t they! That was bad alright. To my unchecked memory, the fact that he ducked in under the 5 year change was a point of notable comment when he first signed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Sunday night fly back to Dublin and his 'flat', as he calls it, in Rathmines, which conjures up images of a one-bar electric fire eating into his beer money.
:lol:
Oh the memories.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 41444.html

Sorry to hear about his Dad though.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

blockhead wrote:
Sunday night fly back to Dublin and his 'flat', as he calls it, in Rathmines, which conjures up images of a one-bar electric fire eating into his beer money.
:lol:
Oh the memories.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 41444.html

Sorry to hear about his Dad though.
Good read.

I am not sure if Super Rugby is the best option for him. Not sure how widely reported this is in Ireland but it is a farcical competition with poor attendances and viewing figures, which is on its knees and quite possible that it will fold when the current tv deal expires (here's hoping).

If Lancaster had the chance to work at one of the elite New Zealand clubs it would be great for him though, Super Rugby or not. But I would hope that someone in Irish Rugby is talking about involvement in the Ireland setup in the future. Either in Schmidt's staff should he stay on or in terms of being part of the next management team
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

suisse wrote:Did anyone listen to the rugby on OTB on Friday?

My favourite bit was BOD going through teams that could put it up against Leinster's first team - Racing, Saracens... and then the Munster chap chimes in with "Munster" :lol:
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I'm generally fairly scathing of OTB rugby; but I thought they (EOS and Wooden) were good tonight and got it spot on. Won't spoil if for anyone who wants to listen to the podcast; but it sounded like EOS actually watched the matches closely this weekend. Good observations on interpretations of refs at rucktime (particularly pertinent to our game). Also a good discussion around the yellow and red cards in the Munster match. Personally, I think I agreed with most of what both said - a first. Good comments by Wooden on Jamie's knowledge and capability as an analyst.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Have The42 Rugby Department abandoned ship?

Nothing from them for almost 48 hours or am I missing something?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Have The42 Rugby Department abandoned ship?

Nothing from them for almost 48 hours or am I missing something?
If you go to 42.ie you'll see rugby stories from today. If you go to42. Ie/rugby it stops on Thursday so they are still writing!
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I must have missed Ireland's first series victory on South African soil. :roll:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 87474.html

** Oops, I see the online version has now been changed from series to test.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

This is interesting, Bomber doing a podcast thing on leadership with OTB now.

http://www.offtheball.com/Rugby/Its-a-r ... gn-review-
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I listened to the latest OTB with Wood and EOS and Joe asked Wood if he'd seen much of Argentina..."no, not really".

He hadn't even seen the whole 80 minutes of one of the games that he actually had seen. How does a pundit like him pay such little attention to the Rugby Championship? I'm not saying he had to know everything, but these aren't obscure games that were hard to find on tv. I'd wager that that a lot of people on here watched them without it being our job to keep our fingers on the pulse.

Contrast that with Andy Dunne on Sunday who couldn't have done more prep for his appearance. I don't agree with everything he says but he's an absolutely brilliant pundit, hope we start seeing him on TV as well.