A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

molloyjh
Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by molloyjh »

Franno has been very much against the project players thing for quite some time and has been pretty consistent about it. The fuss made has as much to do with Akis own comments when he got here, and subsequent comments up until his current contract was signed, as well as the media hype over the guy that's been building for a while. There's also an element of critical mass where more and more high profile projects become involved more and more people will naturally feel uncomfortable about it. Cries of racism don't help the discussion, which in many respects has some form of merit.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 07400.html

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/inte ... -the-lions
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Not saying Franno is racist, am definitely saying hes a bellend in general. But at least hes consistent. Funny thing is when he played for Ireland half the team had English accents.
Am with Ciaran though on there seeming to be more bluster over Aki than anyone else

Conversely, very little said about Mtawarira being a project player

Its interesting as well that theres this misconception in some quarters that the IRFU look at Currie Cup or ANC or whatever and ask guys to play for us in 3 years time
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Dave Cahill wrote:Franno wrote negatively about Payne, Stander and Roux getting capped
I'm not talking about just him - the overall fuss. Based on nothing but the impression I have gotten mind you!
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

molloyjh wrote:Franno has been very much against the project players thing for quite some time and has been pretty consistent about it. The fuss made has as much to do with Akis own comments when he got here, and subsequent comments up until his current contract was signed, as well as the media hype over the guy that's been building for a while. There's also an element of critical mass where more and more high profile projects become involved more and more people will naturally feel uncomfortable about it. Cries of racism don't help the discussion, which in many respects has some form of merit.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 07400.html

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/inte ... -the-lions
If the entire AB squad was re branded as Ireland I'd have no interest in watching them.
On the other hand I've no problem with the few players like Payne, Aki coming to live in Ireland and making a contribution.
Simply put it's all about balance.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Franno wrote negatively about Payne, Stander and Roux getting capped
I'm not talking about just him - the overall fuss. Based on nothing but the impression I have gotten mind you!
I think that's the modern internet age. People find the outrage before anything else. "People don't want him to play for Ireland, he's not white, it must be because they are racist". There are lots of people who never liked the project thing at all, many who were happy to let it slide the odd time but have seen a few high profile names lately and are getting more and more fed up of it (there were more complaints about Stander than Strauss for example). But there's also an element of Aki making his own bed. His comments in the Irish press have never really been enthusiastic about playing for Ireland. Stander said he'd love to, and it would be a great honour. People think "ah sure he's really bought into it". Aki said he wasn't sure. People think "well he's not really that bothered is he".

I'm sure there are some out there who have formed their opinion on bigoted grounds, but there are a fair few very good reasons why people would object to Aki that have nothing to do with ethnicity.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

molloyjh wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
I think that's the modern internet age. People find the outrage before anything else. "People don't want him to play for Ireland, he's not white, it must be because they are racist". There are lots of people who never liked the project thing at all, many who were happy to let it slide the odd time but have seen a few high profile names lately and are getting more and more fed up of it (there were more complaints about Stander than Strauss for example). But there's also an element of Aki making his own bed. His comments in the Irish press have never really been enthusiastic about playing for Ireland. Stander said he'd love to, and it would be a great honour. People think "ah sure he's really bought into it". Aki said he wasn't sure. People think "well he's not really that bothered is he".

I'm sure there are some out there who have formed their opinion on bigoted grounds, but there are a fair few very good reasons why people would object to Aki that have nothing to do with ethnicity.
TBF Stander and Payne were flagged from much further out (as Irish internationals) and also weren't playing for Connacht :D
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Good points made by Oldschool and Molloyjh, with which I wholeheartedly agree. I'm holding off my judgement on Aki in the national colours. I want see and hear his rendition of Amhrán na bhFiann first. Imagine: The Voice as appetiser and then The Match. COYBIG!!!!! Éire abú!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

riocard911 wrote:Good points made by Oldschool and Molloyjh, with which I wholeheartedly agree. I'm holding off my judgement on Aki in the national colours. I want see and hear his rendition of Amhrán na bhFiann first. Imagine: The Voice as appetiser and then The Match. COYBIG!!!!! Éire abú!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He will belt it out as good as any Ulster player will. I hope he gets to play and plays well - the more options we have the better.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

olaf the fat wrote:
riocard911 wrote:Good points made by Oldschool and Molloyjh, with which I wholeheartedly agree. I'm holding off my judgement on Aki in the national colours. I want see and hear his rendition of Amhrán na bhFiann first. Imagine: The Voice as appetiser and then The Match. COYBIG!!!!! Éire abú!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He will belt it out as good as any Ulster player will. I hope he gets to play and plays well - the more options we have the better.
If I thought naturalising players would give us another reason to get rid of that dreadful dirge chosen in the 30s as the ROI anthem, it would give me an added argument to support the concept.

I'm a vehement defender of the naturalised players rule: if you come to a country and contribute to that country and plan a future there, then - in a short sporting career - you should have a right to represent that country.

I have extremely mixed feelings about Aki playing for Ireland. This is primarily because he seems to be nothing more than an opportunist who doesn't really care too much about making a future in Ireland (as he has admitted himself). None of the previous "project players" (i.e. players naturalised this decade) has had such a nonchalant attitude towards the country (Strauss, Stander, Payne).
However, it is also because I think he has demonstrated that he is a thug with a bad attitude. I think one of the many laudable things about Schmidt is that he tries to ensure his players buy into a wider ethos about how they carry themselves. This reflects well on Ireland and Irish rugby. If Schmidt can make him less of a petulant brat, then there would only be the first concern...but that is a huge concern.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

curates_egg wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:
If I thought naturalising players would give us another reason to get rid of that dreadful dirge chosen in the 30s as the ROI anthem, it would give me an added argument to support the concept.

I'm a vehement defender of the naturalised players rule: if you come to a country and contribute to that country and plan a future there, then - in a short sporting career - you should have a right to represent that country.

I have extremely mixed feelings about Aki playing for Ireland. This is primarily because he seems to be nothing more than an opportunist who doesn't really care too much about making a future in Ireland (as he has admitted himself). None of the previous "project players" (i.e. players naturalised this decade) has had such a nonchalant attitude towards the country (Strauss, Stander, Payne).
However, it is also because I think he has demonstrated that he is a thug with a bad attitude. I think one of the many laudable things about Schmidt is that he tries to ensure his players buy into a wider ethos about how they carry themselves. This reflects well on Ireland and Irish rugby. If Schmidt can make him less of a petulant brat, then there would only be the first concern...but that is a huge concern.
"dreadful dirge"? I guess we'll have to disagree on that one, CE. My feelings about Aki are pretty similar to yourself. Last season he really went down in my estimation with all his onfield messing. Still, the guy has talent to burn and coming under the tutelage of Schmidt could be the making of him. Look how Zebo knuckled under and stepped up his game post the US summer tour 2013 and the "three in the bed and the little one said" escapade in the Shelbourne.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote: he has demonstrated that he is a thug with a bad attitude.
Fairly OTT there.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:
Fairly OTT there.
He has no respect for refs and constantly back-chats (as well as audibly insulting them in various games).
He regularly engages in dangerous play.
He threatens people on social media...and once actually assembled a gang to go to hunt down a person who stole Henshaw's laptop.

For me, there is a trend of behaviour with Aki that is concerning. I picked the word thug, and perhaps that is not the correct word.
If you have a better noun or adjective, I would be willing to retract. One thing I am certain about is that he is not the type of "role model" I would think of as the type of player I like to see representing Ireland.

He'd be perfect for Eddie Jones' England though.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

pretty sure Henshaw organised his own posse there

and if you watched the video of the altercation it was another durty furriner in Marmion who did as much of the agro :D

Though he could do without the backchatting to officials alright
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

curates_egg wrote: He threatens people on social media...and once actually assembled a gang to go to hunt down a person who stole Henshaw's laptop.
I share some of your concerns (especially the ref part) but I would have thought that was a massive positive. There can be a thin line between brave and stupid but I thought that was great. You'd run through a brick wall for someone who'd do that for you.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

You'd never get any real Irish rugby players behaving like that. Except of course for all the times they have.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Fairly OTT there.
He has no respect for refs and constantly back-chats (as well as audibly insulting them in various games).
He regularly engages in dangerous play.
He threatens people on social media...and once actually assembled a gang to go to hunt down a person who stole Henshaw's laptop.

For me, there is a trend of behaviour with Aki that is concerning. I picked the word thug, and perhaps that is not the correct word.
If you have a better noun or adjective, I would be willing to retract. One thing I am certain about is that he is not the type of "role model" I would think of as the type of player I like to see representing Ireland.

He'd be perfect for Eddie Jones' England though.
Won't someone think of the children.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Michael Bent #pureirishstoutbottledinnewzealand
Last edited by Peg Leg on November 7th, 2017, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

With Franco the level of outrage is usually proportional to the number of tattoos. But im not sure if Aki has any?
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

My own opinion on Aki, delighted he's on board but there's a bang of Josh Strauss about him.
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:You'd never get any real Irish rugby players behaving like that. Except of course for all the times they have.
Ah I get that. But at least they actually wanted to play for Ireland, as opposed the highest bidder.

His utter nonchalance towards the country that is about to cap him is my main reason.
If he were our thug, or even explicitly chose to be our thug, I'd be far more inclined to overlook his thuggery.