A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by blockhead »

Please.
No more links to that gobshite*'s excuse for journalism.
He must have got working for that once fine institution through a family connection or something.
Look how MNR on OffTheBall has improved recently.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

A couple of things here.

I just read the GC match report there. It's pretty amusing. He's turning into the Irish Times' version of Jamie Jackson. He just writes spectacular gibberish. These lines are best:
Man of the match was announced on 72 minutes. Well done Ciarán Frawley.

It was still an outing fraught with danger and worry for the Leinster medical team.

Pieter Scholtz could be famous.
It is really, really poor writing. He strikes me as someone who is trying desperately hard to put a unique spin on his writing. An alternative style. A little bit similar to Sid Lowe. Sid always tries to write his articles and reports like a story. I don't like that style but Lowe is obviously very popular. GC seems to be following the same method. In his head, he thinks he's intelligent, witty and creative. In reality, he's embarrassing. The cheek of the Irish Times asking for subscriptions when this is the level of cr@p we pay for.

Anyway, I wanted to talk Eddie O'Sullivan. I like EOS but his tribute to JH was a little disappointing. I thought Ferris tried to wind him up about his 2007 RWC omission. EOS could have said he felt there were more in-form players and the coaches supported it etc. But he really went on and on and on about the other back-rows and especially Denis Leamy. He's right, and he's entitled to pick who he wants. But I thought his response was a little sad.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Gerry Thornley on Jamie Heaslip.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3406629

Gifted Heaslip perhaps the greatest Ireland number eight

Am I a bit weird to point this out....
he undoubtedly ranks as one of the great number eights
No other Irish number eight has accumulated as many caps
no other Irish number eight
as well as being the starting number eight
All within the first 5 paragraphs. The question I ask is, given Heaslip's number of caps and medals, and that he was first choice for Michael Cheika, Joe Schmidt, Declan Kidney, Leo Cullen and Warren Gatland, plus a brilliant injury profile until the England game, does Heaslip not deserve to considered one of the finest players we've produced, and not just "perhaps" the greatest number 8?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

suisse wrote:Gerry Thornley on Jamie Heaslip.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3406629

Gifted Heaslip perhaps the greatest Ireland number eight

Am I a bit weird to point this out....
he undoubtedly ranks as one of the great number eights
No other Irish number eight has accumulated as many caps
no other Irish number eight
as well as being the starting number eight
All within the first 5 paragraphs. The question I ask is, given Heaslip's number of caps and medals, and that he was first choice for Michael Cheika, Joe Schmidt, Declan Kidney, Leo Cullen and Warren Gatland, plus a brilliant injury profile until the England game, does Heaslip not deserve to considered one of the finest players we've produced, and not just "perhaps" the greatest number 8?
The individual in the woodpile for the anti Leinster mefia (The "f' is for fake) is Anthony Foley, who good player that he was, wasn't even the second best No. 8 to have played for Ireland but that doesn't suit teir narrative.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

you are not wrong at all oldschool
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

suisse wrote:
Anyway, I wanted to talk Eddie O'Sullivan. I like EOS but his tribute to JH was a little disappointing. I thought Ferris tried to wind him up about his 2007 RWC omission. EOS could have said he felt there were more in-form players and the coaches supported it etc. But he really went on and on and on about the other back-rows and especially Denis Leamy. He's right, and he's entitled to pick who he wants. But I thought his response was a little sad.
Why is EOS obliged to give a nice tribute? What value is in that? I thought it was obvious that he wasn't Jamie's biggest fan :lol:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
suisse wrote:
Why is EOS obliged to give a nice tribute? What value is in that? I thought it was obvious that he wasn't Jamie's biggest fan :lol:
Wasnt Ferris also part of the 07 controversial exclusions? After getting one game at 7 of all places in the warm ups?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He played 7 relatively regularly the previous season, so that was hardly a odd selection
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:He played 7 relatively regularly the previous season, so that was hardly a odd selection
going to have to double down here and say he was never a 7 (even if he was picked there)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:He played 7 relatively regularly the previous season, so that was hardly a odd selection
going to have to double down here and say he was never a 7 (even if he was picked there)
He was a pretty decent 7 actually in the Wallace style - a lot of power and pace, not much of a groundhog
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
He was a pretty decent 7 actually in the Wallace style - a lot of power and pace, not much of a groundhog
So a good player out of position :)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote: So a good player out of position :)
Not really. Ireland didn't need a traditional 7 because they had the two of the best groundhogs in world rugby playing 12 and 13 so we used power carriers at 7 during their time. Leamy, Wallace, Ferris all played 7 for Ireland during this period. Even SOB is in part a holdover from that style
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: So a good player out of position :)
Not really. Ireland didn't need a traditional 7 because they had the two of the best groundhogs in world rugby playing 12 and 13 so we used power carriers at 7 during their time. Leamy, Wallace, Ferris all played 7 for Ireland during this period. Even SOB is in part a holdover from that style
Fez was going to be a 7 the same way DOC was going to be a 6
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

No, Fez was a seven for Ulster, Ireland and the Lions.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
suisse wrote:
He's almost his smallest not fan tho' :twisted:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

every rte.ie rugby article/analysis piece seems to be either replaceable with the word 'no' or Ireland team not expected to show any changes/surprises stretched to 1k words

Is the Ireland rugby team the new Jack's army? No
Are these the 3 key battles? No
Easter baking at Lidl? No
Furlong and Henderson face battle to regain shirts; it's just getting ridiculous now
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

As it was, Joe Schmidt’s incredible team are (PLEASE PUT IN WHETHER THEY ARE CHAMPIONS OR NOT) and could win a Grand Slam should they beat England at Twickenham on Saturday, which just so happens to be St Patrick’s Day.

If they pull it off, and it would take a brave man to bet against it, the feat would go down as one of the greatest in Ireland’s sporting history.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/160 ... es/?ref=ar

It's still there.
:lol:
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

simonokeeffe wrote:you are not wrong at all oldschool
I use people's opinion of Jamie as the new equivalent of DC's Paddy Wallace test.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I had forgotten how bad is Daire O'B on RTE. There are two women presenters who are streets ahead and exhibit enthusiasm and knowledge about the game. He is smarmy, detached and arrogant and does nothing to convince the viewer to stay connected.

Maybe he and Cumiskey should go to games together.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:I had forgotten how bad is Daire O'B on RTE. There are two women presenters who are streets ahead and exhibit enthusiasm and knowledge about the game. He is smarmy, detached and arrogant and does nothing to convince the viewer to stay connected.

Maybe he and Cumiskey should go to games together.
Go easy