A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by desperado »

Darce (or it is Cummiskey) laying it on a bit thick there this morning....

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3854981
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Darce (or it is Cummiskey) laying it on a bit thick there this morning....

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3854981
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Didn't think it was a great article. Darce is tempting the mocker gods by even bigging up an all-Ireland final at this stage. Munster'll be lucky not be obliterated in the Ricoh, and we'd need to eliminate this season's coughing and spluttering, if we're to avoid crashing out vs Toulouse, IMO.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/040 ... ster-move/

Jonny Holland basically saying, and I'm paraphrasing here, that Munster and Ulster are bunch of no good, blood sucking parasites.
Go Jonny!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

riocard911 wrote:Didn't think it was a great article. Darce is tempting the mocker gods by even bigging up an all-Ireland final at this stage. Munster'll be lucky not be obliterated in the Ricoh, and we'd need to eliminate this season's coughing and spluttering, if we're to avoid crashing out vs Toulouse, IMO.
+1. Very syrupy article in addition to all the above.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Although the IT gave Thornley the space to write a detailed piece about the AIL Club perspective (although Lansdowne are hardly typical) in Saturday's edition and the Indo carried a piece by Sinead Kissane about the Railway Union perspective on the status of Women's Rugby, neither The Sunday Indo or other publications devotes any significant space to the rugby games which most Club Rugby supporters were personally interested in yesterday.

The All Ireland League includes (by definition) the 50 most successful Clubs in Ireland with membership probably ranging between 300 and 700 for each Club. Including their Mini & Youth players - male and female - those Clubs probably provide coaching and training facilities for between 10 - 15,000 players each week (Yes, 200 - 300 players each week). Without that base of participation, Ireland would not have either National or Provincial teams and for how long would schools around the country keep playing rugby without the Clubs supporting and encouraging kids to take up the game.

The IRFU and the Provinces must take responsibility to ensure more coverage for Club rugby. The IRFU must find a sponsor who sees the value in promoting this All Ireland Competition, whilst the Branches (who "own" the Provincial franchises after all) must get the finger out and insist that their commercial departments promote Club competitions, at least at the final stages.

Contrary to some opinion, the AIL, throughout its five Divisions, provides a very good standard of play and great passion and entertainment, especially over the final weeks of competition. No, it is not a genuine pathway to a professional career, except for very rare exceptions, but the IRFU & Provinces will neglect the grassroots at their peril and, at present, this part of the Irish rugby family need support and exposure like never before. The media is the single most important element in this support and various Sports Editors need to be encouraged by the IRFU and Provinces to make the space in their organs for at least a column or two per week.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Although the IT gave Thornley the space to write a detailed piece about the AIL Club perspective (although Lansdowne are hardly typical) in Saturday's edition and the Indo carried a piece by Sinead Kissane about the Railway Union perspective on the status of Women's Rugby, neither The Sunday Indo or other publications devotes any significant space to the rugby games which most Club Rugby supporters were personally interested in yesterday.

The All Ireland League includes (by definition) the 50 most successful Clubs in Ireland with membership probably ranging between 300 and 700 for each Club. Including their Mini & Youth players - male and female - those Clubs probably provide coaching and training facilities for between 10 - 15,000 players each week (Yes, 200 - 300 players each week). Without that base of participation, Ireland would not have either National or Provincial teams and for how long would schools around the country keep playing rugby without the Clubs supporting and encouraging kids to take up the game.

The IRFU and the Provinces must take responsibility to ensure more coverage for Club rugby. The IRFU must find a sponsor who sees the value in promoting this All Ireland Competition, whilst the Branches (who "own" the Provincial franchises after all) must get the finger out and insist that their commercial departments promote Club competitions, at least at the final stages.

Contrary to some opinion, the AIL, throughout its five Divisions, provides a very good standard of play and great passion and entertainment, especially over the final weeks of competition. No, it is not a genuine pathway to a professional career, except for very rare exceptions, but the IRFU & Provinces will neglect the grassroots at their peril and, at present, this part of the Irish rugby family need support and exposure like never before. The media is the single most important element in this support and various Sports Editors need to be encouraged by the IRFU and Provinces to make the space in their organs for at least a column or two per week.
Have Off the Ball ever covered the AIL by comparison to say the coverage afforded to GAA club sides
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Although the IT gave Thornley the space to write a detailed piece about the AIL Club perspective (although Lansdowne are hardly typical) in Saturday's edition and the Indo carried a piece by Sinead Kissane about the Railway Union perspective on the status of Women's Rugby, neither The Sunday Indo or other publications devotes any significant space to the rugby games which most Club Rugby supporters were personally interested in yesterday.

There is a whole other layer below AIL clubs too where similar numbers would be involved. We field all the way from U7's to U18.5's with girls teams, a ladies team and two mens teams.

Does anyone believe for a second that players in AIL 1A are not getting paid?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Certainly not in every Club. I've seen the numbers from a couple of Clubs and they are barely keeping afloat and sponsors have retreated with absence of coverage. Cork & Limerick and two in Dublin are main suspects but the others don't pay a brass farthing and expect a Full Membership from all players.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Certainly not in every Club. I've seen the numbers from a couple of Clubs and they are barely keeping afloat and sponsors have retreated with absence of coverage. Cork & Limerick and two in Dublin are main suspects but the others don't pay a brass farthing and expect a Full Membership from all players.
That's amazing as lads are getting paid in Leinster League rugby.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Cummiskey and Thornley on the Irish Times podcast yesterday wondering if Nick McCarthy might be on the bench for Leinster this Sunday.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

cormac wrote:Cummiskey and Thornley on the Irish Times podcast yesterday wondering if Nick McCarthy might be on the bench for Leinster this Sunday.

Ah in fairness they almost never make a mistake like that - whats that you say, printed an april fools joke as news you say, two weeks ago you say?

But its bloggers, forums and "keyboard warriors" that are the problem.
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

cormac wrote:Cummiskey and Thornley on the Irish Times podcast yesterday wondering if Nick McCarthy might be on the bench for Leinster this Sunday.

thats munsters nick mccarthy.
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

Was JGP not seen in a knee brace after last Saturdays game? Would mean we see Lowe & Fardy hopefully. And fingers crossed that Luke stays on for as long as possible!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

yellabelly1961 wrote:

Was JGP not seen in a knee brace after last Saturdays game? Would mean we see Lowe & Fardy hopefully. And fingers crossed that Luke stays on for as long as possible!
Yeah but McCarthy isn't registered for European Cup so can't play either way
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't mean to toot our collective horns but I can never understand how journalists don't cop that kind of thing because of how often it's mentioned on places like this. If I was a journalist (or a "rugby corr" like Gezza :lol: ) then I'd honestly be checking this place daily.

Everything is so well laid out and you can easily pick up something of note. For example, I didn't know that JGP was in a knee brace until I read it on here. Even something small like that could totally change how you write/talk about a game in the lead up to it
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Everything is so well laid out and you can easily pick up something of note. For example, I didn't know that JGP was in a knee brace until I read it on here. Even something small like that could totally change how you write/talk about a game in the lead up to it
Yeah but how do you confirm your source ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Avenger wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Everything is so well laid out and you can easily pick up something of note. For example, I didn't know that JGP was in a knee brace until I read it on here. Even something small like that could totally change how you write/talk about a game in the lead up to it
Yeah but how do you confirm your source ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well you'd confirm that someone is in a brace via the photos of them and you could check the issue with the registration by ringing up Leinster/looking at the squad details. Thing is it would be pointed out here. It's like using Wikipedia. Everybody does it, but you use it with caution.
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

I read about the knee brace after the match on Saturday, didn't see it personally. Did anyone else on here see it?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Pat McCarry in Joe.ie
We are six months from Murray winning a Midol 'Oscar' - the French rugby bible's prestigious award - for world's best player. He was well set for the World Rugby accolade, too, until injury ruled him out of the start of this season (and crucial final months of 2018).
The award went to Johnny Sexton, his half-back partner with Ireland, and his side won 'Team of the Year' at the swank award ceremony in Monaco.
So, Johnny got it by default.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!