A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby mildlyinterested » November 7th, 2018, 3:26 pm

OTB have awful regular rugby pundits... all from Munster too, Quinlan, Wood and EOS.

Dunne has some opinions I may not agree with, Larmour will be a 12 eventually for example, but he is very well informed and knows his stuff.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2404
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby neiliog93 » November 7th, 2018, 9:31 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:OTB have awful regular rugby pundits... all from Munster too, Quinlan, Wood and EOS.

Dunne has some opinions I may not agree with, Larmour will be a 12 eventually for example, but he is very well informed and knows his stuff.


In fairness the only one of the above who's actually biased is probably Eddie. Yet he's also probably the only who's a (just about) decent analyst. Woody is awful and got dropped by BBC accordingly. Quinlan is ok, not better - you get some nice insights from his playing days at times.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Oldschool » November 7th, 2018, 11:11 pm

neiliog93 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:OTB have awful regular rugby pundits... all from Munster too, Quinlan, Wood and EOS.

Dunne has some opinions I may not agree with, Larmour will be a 12 eventually for example, but he is very well informed and knows his stuff.


In fairness the only one of the above who's actually biased is probably Eddie. Yet he's also probably the only who's a (just about) decent analyst. Woody is awful and got dropped by BBC accordingly. Quinlan is ok, not better - you get some nice insights from his playing days at times.

Quinlan has improved but Woody has gone backwards from what was already a very low level.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11138
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby blockhead » November 7th, 2018, 11:30 pm

I dunno if Eddie is that biased per say, bitter about a lot of things. Resentful of Leinster success and the applause directed towards the likes of Plumber and Joe? maybe. A good match pundit.
Woody is the new Hook, no research.
Lenihan dosen't do a lot of research either, especially with the Pro14, but I like him.
Gordon Darcy is an awful co-comms, but a decent writer.
BOD is not great at the co-comms either but an excellent analyst.
Jamie, from my only time hearing him, is an excellent co-comms. Clear, concise, and brief (LukeFitz take note).
Doubt we will ever see Leo do media work, nor will he be asked.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4843
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby neiliog93 » November 8th, 2018, 12:06 am

blockhead wrote:I dunno if Eddie is that biased per say, bitter about a lot of things. Resentful of Leinster success and the applause directed towards the likes of Plumber and Joe? maybe. A good match pundit.
Woody is the new Hook, no research.
Lenihan dosen't do a lot of research either, especially with the Pro14, but I like him.
Gordon Darcy is an awful co-comms, but a decent writer.
BOD is not great at the co-comms either but an excellent analyst.
Jamie, from my only time hearing him, is an excellent co-comms. Clear, concise, and brief (LukeFitz take note).
Doubt we will ever see Leo do media work, nor will he be asked.


Agree with most of that but I would insist that D'Arcy is an excellent writer, consistently fascinating and insightful and one of the best I've read. The Lenihan comment is on the money, objectively he's pretty terrible for analysis but his enthusiasm and collection of idiosyncratic pronunciations has a certain charm.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby mildlyinterested » November 8th, 2018, 8:19 am

Darcy is ghosted by cummiskey
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2404
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Laighin Break » November 8th, 2018, 12:20 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:Darcy is ghosted by cummiskey


Harsh thing to do to someone
User avatar
Laighin Break
Enlightened
 
Posts: 807
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby curates_egg » November 8th, 2018, 8:15 pm

neiliog93 wrote:
blockhead wrote:I dunno if Eddie is that biased per say, bitter about a lot of things. Resentful of Leinster success and the applause directed towards the likes of Plumber and Joe? maybe. A good match pundit.
Woody is the new Hook, no research.
Lenihan dosen't do a lot of research either, especially with the Pro14, but I like him.
Gordon Darcy is an awful co-comms, but a decent writer.
BOD is not great at the co-comms either but an excellent analyst.
Jamie, from my only time hearing him, is an excellent co-comms. Clear, concise, and brief (LukeFitz take note).
Doubt we will ever see Leo do media work, nor will he be asked.


Agree with most of that but I would insist that D'Arcy is an excellent writer, consistently fascinating and insightful and one of the best I've read. The Lenihan comment is on the money, objectively he's pretty terrible for analysis but his enthusiasm and collection of idiosyncratic pronunciations has a certain charm.


Yeah, as mildly says, Darcy doesn't write those columns. I guess he has a coffee with Cummiskey, then the Gav-meister types it up. To be fair, they are the only well-written things Cummiskey produces.

I also cannot understand how anyone, but particularly an informed Leinster fan, can enjoy the Cork Con biased, uninformed bluster that emits from Trimenjous. I'll give you the idiosyncratic pronounciations though.
User avatar
curates_egg
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » November 13th, 2018, 2:08 pm

On OTB EOS suggested that NZ might play Scott Barrett at 6 this weekend...which is perfectly reasonable given that they did it last weekend and I think they should do it because I don't rate Squire at all.

The problem is that he said it would mean they'd lose Savea...what?!
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11487
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Ruckedtobits » November 18th, 2018, 5:19 pm

I've now watched the entire RTE & C4 presentations. The gap in quality is very wide and C4, as with their previous forays into 'niche' sports, provide a high-quality intelligent product.

Jamie H is an excellent colour commentator and his insights, on the technical side of what's happening on the pitch and why, are right up there with Scott Hastings or Mike Blair.

Peter Stringer and Joe Rokococo were ideal panelists and the women Moderator, Lee Mackenzie, was knowledgeable without being opinionated. This crew are worthy of support and following, particularly if you want objective analysis and not just cheer-leaders.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby leinsterforever » November 19th, 2018, 12:58 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:I've now watched the entire RTE & C4 presentations. The gap in quality is very wide and C4, as with their previous forays into 'niche' sports, provide a high-quality intelligent product.

Jamie H is an excellent colour commentator and his insights, on the technical side of what's happening on the pitch and why, are right up there with Scott Hastings or Mike Blair.

Peter Stringer and Joe Rokococo were ideal panelists and the women Moderator, Lee Mackenzie, was knowledgeable without being opinionated. This crew are worthy of support and following, particularly if you want objective analysis and not just cheer-leaders.


Hmmm, dunno about that...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkswky
leinsterforever
Enlightened
 
Posts: 911
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 2:20 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » November 19th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Ewan McKenna's latest brilliant bit of journalism is to hint (but not actually say it outright of course) that Murray has been absent due to a reason other than the injury...I realise the irony of this comment but would people ever stop giving this Alex Jones style gobshite air time?
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11487
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby TerenureJim » November 20th, 2018, 12:30 am

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Ewan McKenna's latest brilliant bit of journalism is to hint (but not actually say it outright of course) that Murray has been absent due to a reason other than the injury...I realise the irony of this comment but would people ever stop giving this Alex Jones style gobshite air time?


Who's giving him airtime now? Thought he'd disappeared back under a rock sometime ago after his last conspiracy theory rubbish in Irish rugby
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5210
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Laighin Break » November 20th, 2018, 8:51 am

TerenureJim wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Ewan McKenna's latest brilliant bit of journalism is to hint (but not actually say it outright of course) that Murray has been absent due to a reason other than the injury...I realise the irony of this comment but would people ever stop giving this Alex Jones style gobshite air time?


Who's giving him airtime now? Thought he'd disappeared back under a rock sometime ago after his last conspiracy theory rubbish in Irish rugby


Pundit Arena and the Indo I think.
He actually said last week that he was going to take a break from Twitter. It appears that that was fake news.
User avatar
Laighin Break
Enlightened
 
Posts: 807
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

A whiff of Cordite

Postby artaneboy » November 21st, 2018, 12:20 am

Laighin Break wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Ewan McKenna's latest brilliant bit of journalism is to hint (but not actually say it outright of course) that Murray has been absent due to a reason other than the injury...I realise the irony of this comment but would people ever stop giving this Alex Jones style gobshite air time?


Who's giving him airtime now? Thought he'd disappeared back under a rock sometime ago after his last conspiracy theory rubbish in Irish rugby


Pundit Arena and the Indo I think.
He actually said last week that he was going to take a break from Twitter. It appears that that was fake news.


OTB did one of their podcasts this morning with him and Ruaidhri O'Connor on the supposed lack of perspective being displayed.

Whatever about that- and there’s an argument to say that there’s some value in it- his argument is based on a mixture of malicious begrudgery and borderline slander, throwing everything from the Belfast rape trial- to the project player issue- to the private school elitism- to “softness” of the players: Madigan crying after the French match victory was used there.

I’ve rarely heard such poisonous drivel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Location: closer than you think...

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby CiaranIrl » November 22nd, 2018, 2:06 pm

They need to sprinkle a pinch of grammar into these emails from the ticket office.

Leinster Rugby wrote:Unfortunately your application(s) was unsuccessful in the lottery for tickets for the Six Nations fixtures against France and England in Aviva Stadium next year. 

As ever demand for tickets totally exceeded supply. Tickets were allocated on a totally random basis which enabled as fair and equitable a distribution of the tickets as possible.
 
Please note: This mail covers all applications you made in the lotteries.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3196
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Peg Leg » November 22nd, 2018, 2:28 pm

CiaranIrl wrote:They need to sprinkle a pinch of grammar into these emails from the ticket office.

Leinster Rugby wrote:Unfortunately your application(s) was unsuccessful in the lottery for tickets for the Six Nations fixtures against France and England in Aviva Stadium next year. 

As ever demand for tickets totally exceeded supply. Tickets were allocated on a totally random basis which enabled as fair and equitable a distribution of the tickets as possible.
 
Please note: This mail covers all applications you made in the lotteries.

...and a ladel of punctuation too.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8815
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby hugonaut » November 23rd, 2018, 8:02 am

I don't have anything in particular against Toland, but there's a lot to object to in this dreadful article!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3707342
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4732
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby johng » November 23rd, 2018, 9:23 am

The good news is that it's a subscription only article so we can't be exposed to the full enormity of the horror
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 17472
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby footrush » November 23rd, 2018, 11:33 am

:D
johng wrote:The good news is that it's a subscription only article so we can't be exposed to the full enormity of the horror
Flying wedge
User avatar
footrush
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: February 5th, 2009, 8:50 pm
Location: Marble City

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: COYBIB, SemrushBot [Bot], wixfjord and 12 guests